Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Breakfast ideas for a picky eater

TammyK777
TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
I always eat breakfast, but need new ideas! I usually eat oatmeal (cranberry w/flax seed, a generic from the grocery store) and a banana and have a cup or 2 of coffee w/a little sugar and cream (during the work week, weekend I usually substitute a bowl of cereal for the oatmeal). I know I need to add a protein, but there's my problem... #1 - I HATE eggs! Believe me, I've tried 'em all different ways, just don't like them. #2 - I like sausage, but way too much salt and fat. Also keep in mind, I cannot have any kind of fake sugar or sugar substitute, it all makes me sick. Maybe yogurt would work, but thought I'd ask you all for anything creative???? Thanks!

**edit** #3 - I usually eat breakfast at my desk during the week, so easy prep and portable would be nice too. Man, I'm difficult!! :blushing:

Replies

• blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    I have to have a lot of protein in my diet as well...low blook sugar. Have you tried peanut butter on toast? Quick snack that the kids I babysat liked and so do I. Toast, peanut butter, rice crispes sprinkled on top. It is SO good! :) And it is still breakfast like and quick to make.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Mmm, protein ideas.... turkey bacon, turkey ham...Cottage cheese is whey protein, you can have it with fruit as well if you don't like it by itself.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Nut butters on whole grain toast.
    Plain greek yogurt with fruit(I add honey for sweetness)
    Low sugar cereals...Kashi Go Lean is a good choice for high fiber and protein.
    Also, don't rule out things you would eat for lunch or dinner, breakfast doesn't have to be 'breakfast' foods.
  • cclarocque
    cclarocque Posts: 15
    I usually go with a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and berries or a banana on the side. I have a company cafeteria where I can toast the english muffin but I think this would still be good made at home and brought to work. If you do not like peanut butter you can substitute hummus.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Thinly sliced turkey breast on whole grain toast with a little raw spinach. I know it sounds like lunch, but when you eat it in the morning and the toast is hot, it tastes like breakfast!

Also, nova salmon. A little high in sodium (and price) but a tasty treat once in a while.

Ditto the cottage cheese and yogurt, but watch for the ones with added "fruit" That's just processed food's word for sugar.
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    I usually have a half of a high fiber bagel with fat free cream cheese on it and 24 almonds. 296 calories, 7 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein and so good. I am a diabetic and have to have protein for breakfast and the almonds are a fast, easy source of protein. I hope this helps.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    I do oatmeal and a piece of fruit every Mon-Friday. I change up the flavor of the oatmeal and what the fruit is.
    I get my protien the rest of the day.
    So - really - no help to you. LOL!
    It's just the easiest thing to do during the work week for me cuz I eat at my desk too.
    Steph :flowerforyou:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Thinly sliced turkey breast on whole grain toast with a little raw spinach. I know it sounds like lunch, but when you eat it in the morning and the toast is hot, it tastes like breakfast!

Also, nova salmon. A little high in sodium (and price) but a tasty treat once in a while.

Ditto the cottage cheese and yogurt, but watch for the ones with added "fruit" That's just processed food's word for sugar.

wow that turkey on toast sounds good! I may have to try that with some cheese.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Peanut butter!!

I'm a bit of a peanut butter fiend and I have it almost every morning on my Eggo (lol). If you get bored of putting it on bread there are other options, of course. I've blended it into a smoothie with banana and yogurt before (VERY good). And I've heard of people making a kind of PB&J yogurt before by melting a tablespoon of PB in the microwave and mixing it into some plain yogurt and then topping with your favorite berry. I haven't tried that one, but it sounds good and I'll probably try it soon!

Of course there's yogurt which can be used in a crazy amount of ways. Plain yogurt, smoothies, parfaits, etc. I actually do a "breakfast sundae" with yogurt. I take a multigrain English muffin (100 cal) and basically cook it like french toast. (Dip in 1 egg with 1 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and some cinnamon. Let it soak in the mixture a bit before transferring to the hot pan) Then I top it with .5 cup of vanilla yogurt, fresh blueberries, and sliced banana. SO good!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    I agree with Nelski... try eating the proteins you would eat for lunch or dinner. People at work look at me like I'm crazy when I'm heating up a homemade turkey patty or having some slices of pork tenderloin along with my oatmeal. Eat whatever you like to eat!
  • BeeZoe
    BeeZoe Posts: 37
    If I have to eat breakfast on the run I just whip up a protein smoothie (blueberries, avocado, soy milk, protein powder, cup of spinach and flax seed) and pop it into my thermos, works great
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    wow... you all are awesome! :) now I'm hungry and need to go shopping!! thanks!

Oh, and had to say 'Duh!' to myself, especially with the peanut butter ideas :)