Mt Hawkins + South Mt Hawkins hike

Options
Total miles 13.53
Elevation gain 3487 ft
Peak 8850 ft

Wanna get away? That’s what I thought driving 1 1/2 hours to get to this trailhead deep into the San Gabriel Monument at Crystal Lake. Friday can almost be like weekends with crowds so I was hoping with the distance and difficulty I wouldn’t see many people. And I wasn’t disappointed! This has to be one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve been on. It was cold and windy starting out. You hike up through switchbacks to the Windy Gap which seems almost like an alpine saddle.

a0ig7nad84xn.jpeg
y99lfzn02dci.jpeg
1e1oqhmdecky.jpeg

I then hiked onto the PCT through forested trail, over some downed trees up to the Mt Hawkins summit where the views were spectacular

53ioa1nhbw0v.jpeg
x2qejh84wp2p.jpeg
jeynh1rr3jww.jpeg

You descend in a loop towards a second summit where they used to have a huge forest lookout tower which burned in a fire long ago and was never rebuilt. There is also what’s left of the outhouse which is basically what’s left of a chemical toilet with a view!
93jxh4gkecpp.jpeg
ktj6e5cr9wqs.jpeg

You descend back to the trailhead on a now unused fire road with some rock slides. Only saw four people hiking but only two along the trail.the weather was really variable. At some points it was so cold my face hurt and I had on a base layer+merino wool layer+full fleece. I had an extra vest+gortex if I needed it. One hiker I saw was hiking in shorts+long sleeve shirt. I kept wondering if he was going to quit but I guess he was ok with the cold/wind (his friend had layers+puffy jacket+wool hat). They have camping here but unfortunately this area has turned into the loud party/drinking place on weekends along with graffiti people tagging everything in sight at the campground and below.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Nice! Thanks once again for taking me out of my very green and very lush rain forest world. I used to live in Tahoe and it brings back memories of the Sierra Nevada.