Holiday temptation

Options
I am not sure if this is the right spot to post but here is goes.

Tomorrow I go away for a week on holiday with my family. Which means no home cooking. It is all meals prepared by the hotel.

Any tips or advice on how to not completely blow the good work and progress that I have made so far?

Replies

• Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Oh, it always hard when away from home.

Are you able to peruse the menu before mealtime? If so, decide in advance what meal you will have (assuming a health one) and then don't even look at the menu when you get there. Decision made.

Drink plenty of water. When we get thirsty, it is much a harder to say no to alcohol and fattening food.

Focus on family, the fun things you will be doing with them and beautiful sights you will see and not so much on food.

Keep tracking as best you can.

Enjoy the holiday and be kind to yourself if you go over your targets. You probably will go over. Know that going over a few days, even every day on holiday doesn't have to sabotage your program once you get home.

Have fun!!!

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    +1 to everything @Ann262 said.

Log everything as best you can.

If there's a buffet of some kind, either make your one plate and don't go back for seconds, or go back for one thing at a time. If there are smaller dishes or bowls available, use those instead of the big plates.

For both meat and vegetables: steamed is better than baked is better than grilled is better than fried. Skip sauces or get them on the side whenever possible.

Try not to double up on carbs in a single meal - bread OR potatoes, if your pasta dish comes with garlic bread put it aside or give it away, that kind of thing. If you have the option, swap the carb for a non-starchy vegetable - if something like steamed broccoli or mixed vegetables shows up on the menu somewhere, you can probably ask to substitute that for your bread and/or potato side dish. If you get a choice of 2 sides, you don't have to get 2 different sides, you can ask for a double side of steamed broccoli or whatever.

If you don't think you can limit yourself to one drink max per day, maybe just plan to avoid alcohol entirely, if you'll have the opportunity to drink on this trip.

If you don't have a way to store or reheat leftovers, then don't stuff yourself in the name of "not wasting food." If you're worried about "wasting money," see if someone will split a dish with you. If not, then order as best you can, and let go of the idea of "wasting" anything if you leave food on your plate. If you don't need the rest of those calories, it's better if they do go into a garbage can rather than your body.

Consider switching to maintenance for the week you're traveling - if you're trying to lose 1lb (0.5kg) per week, the difference between "deficit" mode and "maintenance" mode is only about 500 calories.