PMS - oxoalacetate

Jarcom
Jarcom Posts: 11 Member
Hello!

I suffer from horrible food cravings during my PMS. I feel I do very well dieting half the month, then half I ruin it. I am still losing weight overall but just too slow obviously.
I came across in Facebook with and add of a company selling supplements of oxoalacetate and vitamin C which is supposed to help with PMS symptoms including cravings and I ordered a bottle. It arrives in Wednesday.
I am not a person of taking supplements or drugs of any kind. I read the food labels to avoid chemicals and even in cleaning products. But I am desperate and I really want this to work. I wonder if someone has tried those products and could share an honest opinion. I found many reviews in Amazon and pinterest where it seems to work for most women and some call it "life changing" specially for the anxiety, irritability, mood swings etc... which I also would love to get rid of. But nowadays with those online reviews you never know if they are paid reviews, so I would like to know if anyone tried and it worked on the cravings!
Thank you very much and happy weight lost journey!

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Fakespot.com is useful for weeding out suspicious reviews.

There’s so many ways to tweak fake reviews on Amazon, including sending unwanted packages to people who didn’t order them, to make it appear they are a “verified buyer” and then leaving reviews in that name. Or the classic, cheap or free item in exchange for a good review. I believe I read that Amazon is supposed to have banned free items.

Try it if it makes you happy, but don’t expect miracle results. In fact, don’t expect any results.

And verify where the product is coming from. No way I’d take a supplement from China.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Hormone cycles are what they are. We typically gain fluid weight and we lose it during the cycle. If you are adhering to a calorie deficit over that time (and all the other times), you medium to long term weight trends will be going down. Don't get caught up with a temporary weight gain, and don't let that temporary weight gain send you off track.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Jarcom wrote: »
    Hello!

I suffer from horrible food cravings during my PMS. I feel I do very well dieting half the month, then half I ruin it. I am still losing weight overall but just too slow obviously.
    I came across in Facebook with and add of a company selling supplements of oxoalacetate and vitamin C which is supposed to help with PMS symptoms including cravings and I ordered a bottle. It arrives in Wednesday.
    I am not a person of taking supplements or drugs of any kind. I read the food labels to avoid chemicals and even in cleaning products. But I am desperate and I really want this to work. I wonder if someone has tried those products and could share an honest opinion. I found many reviews in Amazon and pinterest where it seems to work for most women and some call it "life changing" specially for the anxiety, irritability, mood swings etc... which I also would love to get rid of. But nowadays with those online reviews you never know if they are paid reviews, so I would like to know if anyone tried and it worked on the cravings!
    Thank you very much and happy weight lost journey!

The two biggest things that helped my pms cravings were cutting down on refined sugar and carbs BUT still complex carbs like banana, dates, oats, potatoes and more protein. Also eating at maintenance (even just for 3-5 days) has really helped my pms cravings. The reason why too much sugar and refined carbs might not be good is because they send your blood sugar on a roller coaster and so you crave more sugar. Also dark chocolate has helped me too- 70% is fine. Don’t cut out the complex carbs because they boost serotonin levels and keep you full. This is coming from someone who also struggles with pms cravings so it works for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    Another vote for eating at maintenance premenstrually.

PMS cravings used to be a big issue for me, but no longer are. I have made a lot of changes, so it would be hard to pinpoint anything. Here are my general tips for cravings.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food. Additionally, mild to moderate exercise appears to work as a mild appetite suppressant for me.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.