Inspiration Comes in Many Forms

Options
Some of my MFP friends will have seen this already, but this may be an inspiration to others.

I became a widower early this year when my 45 year old wife of 19 years passed away suddenly as a result of complications from a surgery a month before. After a lot of soul searching and struggling to find any path forward, it really became necessary for me to better occupy my time. I also knew I needed to improve my health. Being married and somewhat complacent, the term “fat and happy” surely applied to both of us.

After completing a construction project we’d started together last Fall, I decided exploring the hiking trails in my neighborhood was a good idea. The dogs love it. My body needs it. And I’ve begun to love it as well. Several two-mile hikes on the neighborhood trails each week led to trying more and more on the weekends. As I was traveling to Virginia last month to visit Rhonda’s family, I wanted to do something a bit more momentous, maybe something epic or iconic. So I tackled the most photographed spot on the Appalachian Trail—McAfee Knob. I posted a few photo of this a few weeks ago.

But my goals always seem to get bigger, sometimes to the point of biting off more than I can chew. After a handful of 7-8 mile hikes, I wanted to tackle something over 10. Well, I DID it; I checked another goal off my list. 11.1 miles at Table Rock State Park in South Carolina, completing both the Pinnacle Mountain Summit and the Table Rock Summit. I wear my Garmin and heart rate monitor religiously on longer hikes, and according to this, there was 3800’ of elevation gain, and I burned a whopping 3,450 calories, and the 22k odd steps is grossly underestimated, as the last miles were using trekking poles and only count about 65% of actual steps. Yes, it was a long *kitten* 6:41 hour hike, but I’m extremely proud of this accomplishment. I know Rhonda would be incredibly proud of this accomplishment.

I joined MFP many years ago mostly looking for a good way to track things. I discovered the social aspect shortly thereafter and have always looked at this as a tool for finding inspiration. I hope this story may provide to be an inspiration for others as well.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    You certainly touched me with this experience, John. My condolences on the passing of your wife. And you're right, she's surely proud of your accomplishments this year.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    John, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. :( I'm sure she's meeting you at the top of every one of those mountains. <3 I am in awe of your courage and strength. Keep looking upward and onward.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Kudos, John, for finding a positive path in the face of loss and grief.

Every such path is different, but I empathize, from experience: I lost my beloved spouse when he was 45, I was 43, to an illness that developed surprisingly quickly.

I'm sure Rhonda would, indeed, be proud of you! (Even now, over 20 years on, I still think sometimes about how Ken would feel about where I am and what I'm doing, and hope he'd be proud. I do know - he told me so - that he wanted me to find a way to live and be happy, and that knowledge was a great gift that he gave me in his last days. It helped me seek my own path out of the numbness and loss.)

Wishing you more accomplishments, strengths, positivity, as you move through life finding your own best route forward.