This Past Weekend

Options
This past weekend on a Saturday was the first time I ate at a restaurant. I ordered fries with steak sandwhich & just drank water(was tempted for coca cola ) , but did not log what I ate. Come Monday morning I weighed myself after using the bathroom & lost 0.5 pounds. How I lost weight but did not log?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    This past weekend on a Saturday was the first time I ate at a restaurant. I ordered fries with steak sandwhich & just drank water(was tempted for coca cola ) , but did not log what I ate. Come Monday morning I weighed myself after using the bathroom & lost 0.5 pounds. How I lost weight but did not log?

The act of logging just helps you create a calorie deficit. It's the calorie deficit that enables you to lose weight, not logging.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Daily variations don't mean anything because they are overwhelmed by bowel and bladder, and water retention.

Remember a 3500 calorie deficit means one pound.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Lots of people don't log and lose weight just fine. Logging is just a tool. Also, what is happening overall is what matters for weight management...having a sandwich and some fries on a Saturday is not particularly material to the greater whole. I had fried chicken on Saturday night...in the grand scheme of things, pretty much meaningless.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I log pretty carefully 6 days a week and then eat what I want for Saturday night dinner. On Saturday I'm eating around my maintenance calories, so I still had a deficit for 6 days a week and will still lose weight.

As mentioned above, your weight can fluctuate significantly day to day depending on waste, water retention from sodium, exercise, or stress, a woman's monthly cycle, etc. If it doesn't stress you out mentally, it's recommended to weigh daily so you can get an idea of how your body responds to these things and to form an overall trend rather than spotty check-ins that might not show as clear of a pattern.