Protein Shakes

Options
Hi everyone,

So I'm 273lbs and currently completing C25K. I want to make sure I'm getting the good things into my diet and I'm wondeting if a protein shake would be ideal. I live in the UK so not sure which one would be ideal. Firstly should I start using shakes? Secondly can anyone recommend one that will give me everything I need from it, if I were to supplement breakfast?

Thank you

Replies

• vonstigator
    Options
    I personally don't agree with shakes. For me losing weight is learning about food known what and when you, once you get in to the habit of making the right food chooses you will soon see the weight come off.

Ive seen people on shakes yes the weight comes off but soon as they start eaten again the weight comes back on.

I suppose everyone is different tho. :wink:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I don't believe you need them as long as you are eating protein as part of your normal diet. Check your protein amounts via your MFP diary, that will tell you if you are deficient. Most people get all the protein they need from their normal diet.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Its good to have a protein shake if your struggling to make your protein goal for the day.
  • Seanan2387
    Seanan2387 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think shakes are a good idea, especially if you have a fitness regime & a controlled diet. Personally, I chose a diet whey protein shake. Look up the details on the link, and ask any of the member of the chat system within the web page I've attached below. Hope this helps :)

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-diet-whey/10530657.html
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I personally don't agree with shakes. For me losing weight is learning about food known what and when you, once you get in to the habit of making the right food chooses you will soon see the weight come off.

Ive seen people on shakes yes the weight comes off but soon as they start eaten again the weight comes back on.

I suppose everyone is different tho. :wink:

I think you're talking about something else entirely.

To the OP, if you have trouble hitting your protein macro with food, a protein shake is fantastic. I try to get my protein without them, but I keep quest bars handy just in case. I used to use a protein powder, and I'm planning to start again soon as I'm trying to get more protein now. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is my preference, but it really comes down to what you like, get a few different kinds and find out what you prefer.

Rigger
  • DoctorHuman
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. Think I will have a look on MFP at levels and see what shakes etc are available. Thank you
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Also, do remember that protein shakes only act as a supplement and should never be used as a full meal replacement! A lot of people get this confused...:smokin:
  • mommarobb
    mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein shakes for breakfast everyday as I don't like to eat in the morning. it's working for me.
  • cedarblack
    cedarblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate smooth Impact Whey Protein from MyProtein which is a good, fairly cheap (in comparison the other brands) UK based site. They do lots of other flavours which I haven't tried but I've been told are nice too!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Whoops, didn't catch that part!

If you are looking to replace a meal with the shakes, I would think a shake designed as a meal replacement or put additional things into your protein shake to give you micronutrients and fibers you need to keep you satisfied until your next meal. You can easily blend in fruits, nuts,.. anything that comes to mind really! :happy:
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love shakes- I eat 3 small meals and have 2 shakes a day. I have lost 20+ pounds and 20 total inches(arm, chest, so on) More important to be with in your target- don't wait until your hungry to feed your body and balance the meals you do eat. :happy: