How Fast Can I Reduce Fat Percentage??

Options
I want to reduce my fat percentage by around 8% or more and wondered if there is a safe time scale to do this? I am doing Insanity and using dumbbells too and have reduced my percentage from 32.6% exactly 4 weeks ago to 31.8% today....

I would like to think I could at least double that loss in the next 4 week period,...

Is that possible and what method is best to use?

Elaine

Ps, please feel free to add me as a friend :)

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    First, how are you measuring your BF%? The only method I have readily available is my Aria scale (fitbit), which is inherently inaccurate. With that in mind, in my experience (and balancing that with my wife's experience), dropping somewhere between a half and one percent every two weeks is doable if you're on an aggressive workout routine coupled with a sensible diet.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was increasing my weights/lifting heavier along with my cardio and making sure I eat enough protein everyday. I eat about 1700-1800 calories and have my macros set at 40/40/20.
    I'm not too sure on time frames, or how quickly you can lower your BF%.

Good luck!
    :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    First, how are you measuring your BF%? The only method I have readily available is my Aria scale (fitbit), which is inherently inaccurate. With that in mind, in my experience (and balancing that with my wife's experience), dropping somewhere between a half and one percent every two weeks is doable if you're on an aggressive workout routine coupled with a sensible diet.

I would agree with that, I'm using an Omron scale, accuracy unknown, but I have dropped 1% exactly in 28 days on diet and minimum exercise only.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The pre-requisites (as basically stated as possible) are:

1. Caloric deficit (usually not too large - less than 25% below TDEE). Created primarily through diet but deficit can be increased with cardio training preferably HIIT training and an increase in LISS/NEAT to spare lean mass while 'dieting'.
    2. Resistance training - key to retain lean mass and focus on fat loss
    3. Adequate protein and fat intakes
    4. Usually a reduced carb intake (this comes inherently when meeting Protein and Fat intakes at adequate levels while reducing overall caloric intake). This may also be effectied by your individual tolerance to carb/insulin.

I think that covers the fundamentals, if you want some more detail please just ask - there are plenty of smart cookies in here to help draw up a plan for you (or in the ETP group). :flowerforyou:
  • Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Hi :)

I am measuring my BF by using a machine that is in my local shopping centre. I am assuming it to be fairly accurate... but wouldnt be sure...
  • Porcelaine22
    Options
    What worked for me was increasing my weights/lifting heavier along with my cardio and making sure I eat enough protein everyday. I eat about 1700-1800 calories and have my macros set at 40/40/20.

Good luck!

21525558.png

Thank you!! :)

do you mind if I ask in what order the 40/40/20 are? is it fat/protein/carbs? you eat about the same calories as me....:)
  • Porcelaine22
    Options
    The pre-requisites (as basically stated as possible) are:

1. Caloric deficit (usually not too large - less than 25% below TDEE). Created primarily through diet but deficit can be increased with cardio training preferably HIIT training and an increase in LISS/NEAT to spare lean mass while 'dieting'.
    2. Resistance training - key to retain lean mass and focus on fat loss
    3. Adequate protein and fat intakes
    4. Usually a reduced carb intake (this comes inherently when meeting Protein and Fat intakes at adequate levels while reducing overall caloric intake). This may also be effectied by your individual tolerance to carb/insulin.

I think that covers the fundamentals, if you want some more detail please just ask - there are plenty of smart cookies in here to help draw up a plan for you (or in the ETP group). :flowerforyou:

Thank you very much Rayman :)

at present I am eating an average of between 1600- 1900 daily, eating occasional exercise calories back if I see fit, but keeping my diet pretty clean and reduced.

I am burning an average of 350 calories a day doing insanity and occasionally having days of dumbbell use as I am pretty sore with Insanty! :)

I also drink protein shakes on the days I work out, not sure if that really does help or not but its advised on Insanity.

Not sure if that give a good idea of what I am up to currently.....
  • Porcelaine22
    Options
    bump
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think if you just keep doing what you're doing and religiously logging, you'll lose at the right speed. Eating back your exercise calories will help and reduce carbs/sodium will keep you from bloating. make sure you eat back though, it's important so you build more muscle as you get stronger.

Water is important, I drink water right before bed, first thing when I wake up, a glass before each meal and before, during, and after workouts. Lastly try to eat meat and beans with rice for protein. It breaks down better than supplements like shakes and bars, plus there's a million versions of beans and rice. I think almost every culture has some way they prepare it so you'll never run out of new styles.

Also saw you're looking at other workouts. I'd suggest you keep going full steam and finish insanity, then try weight lifting and running or biking. Big weights and lifting heavy help you build muscle fast, and having more muscle means you burn more calories when you work out, which could mean fast fat burning. Couple this with 30 minute runs or hour long bike rides and you'll be burning off the fat really fast. 3 days a week lifting and 2-3 days a week jogging or biking and you'll be amazed at the progress. Let me know if you have questions, or just look around here for "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"

Great progress so far. Good luck!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Good luck!

21525558.png

Thank you!! :)

do you mind if I ask in what order the 40/40/20 are? is it fat/protein/carbs? you eat about the same calories as me....:)

40% Carbs, 40% Protien, 20% Fat
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    8% BF is not really a healthy sustainable BF % for women.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    8% BF is not really a healthy sustainable BF % for women.

She said shes like 31%she wants to lose 8%bf.
  • tommaddad
    Options
    I came across an interesting program that will help guide you through the process of shredding unwanted body fat through customized nutrition and training. It's called the Venus Factor. http://betterbodyworkout.net/venus

It's based on the idea that there is an ideal shoulder-to-waist-to-hips ratio for your height that men find most attractive. You plug in all your variables and it gives you the nutrition guidelines and 12-week workout programs (3-4 times per week) to help you get there. Tons of variety, downloadable to your phone, and includes how-to videos for all the exercises.

It's worth a look.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I aim to net 1200 (but usually go over and net about 1300 a day). I work out a lot, so I'm eating from 1400 to 1800 a day (usually on the higher end of that range). I don't eat a lot of protein - my goal is 60 grams a day (it's an improvement for me, baby steps LOL). I have been able to basically maintain my LBM running 3 to 4 days a week and doing strength training twice a week. I am happy with that. It takes me only about a 3 lb loss to lose 1% of my BF.