Keto Powder To Stay In Ketosis

Options
I apologize if this has been a topic, but I did a search and didnt see it...

So I met a gal the other day that said she used some pre-packaged powder that kept her in ketosis without doing a keto diet.

Is that even possible? I tried Googling it and came up with answers that didn't answer my question....

TIA....

Replies

• FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    My body didnt like the actual diet, and in the end I was ok with that.

I was just curious how the powder could keep you in ketosis alone. It just didn't make sense to me. I noticed on the package it had a ridiculous amount of B12 - which is water soluble but still....
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    "Keto powder" is usually another name for protein powder or some other dietary supplement powder that is low-carb. It's not the powder that gets you into ketosis, it's remaining at low-carbs and overall calorie deficit that does it. In other words, if you eat a box of Oreos with a glass of powdered keto-goop, you will not end up in ketosis. But the point of the "keto powder" drinks is that they do not have many carbs and can be used as a replacement for other foods (if you can stand drinking them).

Now for the most important point: you do not have to be in a state of ketosis to lose weight. You just need to be in caloric deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They're called exogenous ketones and they're supplements. Why do you want to be in ketosis without doing the diet? Athletes who utilize ketosis as their primary strategy use them to ensure maximum performance and improved cognition. I suspect most will buy these for weight loss. The data that's out there is really sketchy and peak at around 30 minutes and then what, take more. They're not cheap. The keto diet appears to be a black hole in nutrition dragging the universe in and I suspect that marketing and profit will filter some people out of some pocket change. It's a no brainer really, take the most googled diet on the planet and sell supplements then engage the Barnum and Bailey theory.

Yup....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    My body didnt like the actual diet, and in the end I was ok with that.

I was just curious how the powder could keep you in ketosis alone. It just didn't make sense to me. I noticed on the package it had a ridiculous amount of B12 - which is water soluble but still....

The supplement is for people that are already in ketosis or near ketosis and have a dedicated reason for the short window application. If you didn't like the diet, then walk away from it and save money and find another way to spend it, imo.
  • neanderthin
    edited May 2021
    Options
    "Keto powder" is usually another name for protein powder or some other dietary supplement powder that is low-carb. It's not the powder that gets you into ketosis, it's remaining at low-carbs and overall calorie deficit that does it. In other words, if you eat a box of Oreos with a glass of powdered keto-goop, you will not end up in ketosis. But the point of the "keto powder" drinks is that they do not have many carbs and can be used as a replacement for other foods (if you can stand drinking them).

Now for the most important point: you do not have to be in a state of ketosis to lose weight. You just need to be in caloric deficit.

It's actually not protein powder, and yes exogenous ketones do get people into ketosis quickly. I forget sometimes that this is a counting calorie site and the main goal is weight loss, damn me lol. The athletes that exogenous ketones were designed for didn't use them to lose weight but to enhance their performance. Ketogenic diets are becoming popular with ultra marathoners especially but quite a few different sports and some of the top runners are on keto diets. Basically using fat as their primary energy source eliminates the bonking that happens with glycogen. Normally they can have 25,000 + calories in reserve compared to glycogen , not sure but probably under2000 cals. Cheers.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

It's actually not protein powder, and yes exogenous ketones do get people into ketosis quickly. I forget sometimes that this is a counting calorie site and the main goal is weight loss, damn me lol. The athletes that exogenous ketones were designed for didn't use them to lose weight but to enhance their performance. Ketogenic diets are becoming popular with ultra marathoners especially but quite a few different sports and some of the top runners are on keto diets. Basically using fat as their primary energy source eliminates the bonking that happens with glycogen. Normally they can have 25,000 + calories in reserve compared to glycogen , not sure but probably under2000 cals. Cheers.

Very few athletes truly run the ketogenic diet and its limited to endurance athletes. And even those endurance athletes will carb load before events. Ketones require more oxygen to create ATP so its rather inefficient.

And while exogenous ketones may be effective for divers and can raise ketone levels, they don't increase fat loss.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    OP, i would save your money.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Very few athletes truly run the ketogenic diet and its limited to endurance athletes. And even those endurance athletes will carb load before events. Ketones require more oxygen to create ATP so its rather inefficient.

And while exogenous ketones may be effective for divers and can raise ketone levels, they don't increase fat loss.

Zach Biter, an ultra-runner, is a good example of a frequently cited keto runner. He is on a ketogenic diet for part of the year, but when he's actively training he eats more carbohydrates (still lower carbohydrate than many, but I think he says about 100 grams a day). He says "If I weren’t running as much, I would eat way fewer carbohydrates, and I would consume more fat because I’m not asking myself to do anything in that high-performance space. You can easily do daily tasks by metabolizing fat."

I do not believe he is using exogenous ketones to fuel his running, I think that he is deploying higher level of carbohydrates on those days when he needs them (while still being mainly fat adapted).

• psuLemon
    edited May 2021
    Options

Zach Biter, an ultra-runner, is a good example of a frequently cited keto runner. He is on a ketogenic diet for part of the year, but when he's actively training he eats more carbohydrates (still lower carbohydrate than many, but I think he says about 100 grams a day). He says "If I weren’t running as much, I would eat way fewer carbohydrates, and I would consume more fat because I’m not asking myself to do anything in that high-performance space. You can easily do daily tasks by metabolizing fat."

I do not believe he is using exogenous ketones to fuel his running, I think that he is deploying higher level of carbohydrates on those days when he needs them (while still being mainly fat adapted).

I believe the last article i saw suggested he carb loads 72 hours ahead. Given glycogen resynthesis rates, that would make sense.
  • neanderthin
    edited May 2021
    Options

I believe the last article i saw suggested he carb loads 72 hours ahead. Given glycogen resynthesis rates, that would make sense.
    These athletes need to look for any atvantage. My close friend is an ultra marathoner and he will carb load for the big distant races, but some racers don't. The loading helps them but not for the whole distance. It's about adapting and finding advantages at that level. Ketosis for them is quite different than keto for someone sick or trying to lose weight. Cheers.

• psuLemon
    Options

These athletes need to look for any atvantage. My close friend is an ultra marathoner and he will carb load for the big distant races, but some racers don't. The loading helps them but not for the whole distance. It's about adapting and finding advantages at that level. Ketosis for them is quite different than keto for someone sick or trying to lose weight. Cheers.

Oh don't get me wrong, i fully understand the differences. Hell I run a keto diet for cutting, but as a whole, carbs are superior in every instance when it comes to athletic performance. Even with being adapted, i never get my strength back and its a 25% reduction. That is pretty substainal. I have even dabbled with CKD and TKD without prevail.

I am also all for cycling keto to increase fat oxidation rates for increased metabolic flexibility, but that is limited to a single application... Ultra endurance running. And other sport that requires oxygen demand will benefit from increased carbs, to include lifting. Additionally, carbs are protein sparring which is why they are better for gaining muscle ina deficit.

I do like keto for its appetite suppressant capabilities.
  • neanderthin
    edited May 2021
    Options

Oh don't get me wrong, i fully understand the differences. Hell I run a keto diet for cutting, but as a whole, carbs are superior in every instance when it comes to athletic performance. Even with being adapted, i never get my strength back and its a 25% reduction. That is pretty substainal. I have even dabbled with CKD and TKD without prevail.

I am also all for cycling keto to increase fat oxidation rates for increased metabolic flexibility, but that is limited to a single application... Ultra endurance running. And other sport that requires oxygen demand will benefit from increased carbs, to include lifting. Additionally, carbs are protein sparring which is why they are better for gaining muscle ina deficit.

I do like keto for its appetite suppressant capabilities.

Now I eat about 125 carbs approx..... I don't count calories, just a mirror and scale. Anyway, I've been low carb for about 7 yrs and have cycled through the ketogenic diet off and on. Personally I'm not looking to be in ketosis, but it was pretty fantastic I must say in the way it made me feel, it was just too tough to maintain. The less active I am, the more carbs I seem to crave, because lockdown, and I suspect that I'll drop to my 50-75 as soon as I'm more active.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The less active I am, the more carbs I seem to crave, because lockdown, and I suspect that I'll drop to my 50-75 as soon as I'm more active.

Oh the irony! Yes, this is a thing. There is nothing better than a lazy day eating pancakes, for example.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The less active I am, the more carbs I seem to crave, because lockdown, and I suspect that I'll drop to my 50-75 as soon as I'm more active.

Oh the irony! Yes, this is a thing. There is nothing better than a lazy day eating pancakes, for example.

Haha, for sure. Sugar sugar baby, I love ya, but just a little at a time, honey and you too maple syrup.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I used BHB for a while, in morning with coffee and l carnatine. Great combo for energy and made me sweat but ketosis is another story. You can be in ketosis with intermitten fasting. In terms of weight loss And maintaining weight loss be smart- count calories eat well and move more.