Does time of day matter for exercise?

I was doing it early in the morning, but now I seem to be switching to nighttime (roughly 8 pm). Does that change how it will effect my weight loss (or anything else)? Thanks

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I was doing it early in the morning, but now I seem to be switching to nighttime (roughly 8 pm). Does that change how it will effect my weight loss (or anything else)? Thanks

It shouldn't affect your weight loss because that's a matter of calories in and out (maybe it could affect water retention if you're weighing first thing in the morning?)

It might have an effect on your sleep or other logistics with how you manage your day, but if it works for you to do it then go for it! I'm a first thing in the morning person because I tend to be very busy during the day and I feel better exercising before I eat. But I would stick to whatever will mean you stick to working out. :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    It can affect my sleep to put myself in go mode too soon before calling it a day.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    As long as it's not impacting your sleep, there's nothing wrong with working out at night. Similarly, there's nothing magical about working out first thing in the morning. I do my exercise early in the morning to get it done and off my to-do list for the day, because I'm usually tired and hungry after work and I prefer to relax in the evenings.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Yeah. Right now, I'm still working from home, so I don't have set schedules. Starting in August, I'll be traveling again and need to figure out how to deal with that. I really should try to do it first thing, otherwise the guilt gnaws away at me throughout the day until I do it. But, we just got kittens and they are SUPER CUDDLY first thing in the morning. So hard to drag myself away. I did decide to work out just now, while kittens are sleeping and I was bored. :)
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    I've found in the past that if I'm traveling I have to work out in the morning otherwise there's no chance it's getting done. It probably depends on what you do, but if you're with a team, people tend to go out for dinner and maybe drinks in the evenings. And since we could expense it we went to nice places and who wants to miss out on that?
  • p2tmewcg
    p2tmewcg Posts: 5 Member
    I use to do evening/night workouts but working from home allowed me to try a morning routine. I have to say I noticed a huge benefit from doing morning routines. I feel a lot better after, stay energized throughout the day and tend to have a better sleep. Night workouts I felt wasted all of that “feel good energy” I could have used through the day. Overall do what feels right for you and of course works with your schedule. Greater than zero is the best exercise.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    The thing that makes the most difference is the distance/time/amount of reps etc. I.E. running 4 miles at 10 minute pace = running 4 miles at 10 minute pace. It doesn't burn more calories or build more muscle if you feel miserable because you did it in bad weather, when you were sleep deprived, or when your muscles are tight. It does burn more calories and build more muscle if you run longer and/or do it faster. So, exercise at the time when you will feel best and be able to put in your best effort.