Gaining weight after quitting smoking

Options
ok so I am quitting smoking now, last smoke was 18 days ago. I'll make it this time. Only thing that worries me though is the weight gain. Last time I quit I gained 12 kg or so, and I already gained 2-3 kg now. I am not aware of eating this much.

I'd like to continue losing weight now that I've quit instead of gaining. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Stopping smoking is the best thing you can do for your health! My mother died aged 58 of pneumonia and emphysema because she would NOT stop despite being ill.
    Nicotine does suppress appetite, also your sense of taste gets better after stopping. Part of the problem is being used to having something in the mouth, so people tend to replace cigarettes with sweets (candies). Maybe you could try chewing sugar-free gum?
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Drink water instead of reaching for snacks. Or take up a hobby (perhaps exercise) that keeps your hands busy.

My weight gain was directly related to quitting smoking but it took a really long time to build up. It was the overeating that led to gaining weight, not the absence of tar and nicotine.
  • nmgnl
    nmgnl Posts: 1
    Options
    When I gave up smoking I made a conscious effort not to eat more, in fact I ate healthier, and less, than ever before.
    I still piled the weight on and no diet worked, I went to the doctors and was diagnosed with the Celiac gene which smoking had masked.
    Trying to keep gluten free is hard. You have to read every single label and be disciplined (which I'm not).

Before you beat yourself about weight gain make sure there's no underlying reason. I got so fed up with having no progress at all on any diet I nearly took up smoking again.

Now I'm trying the Lite n Easy program using wheat free where I can given the choices and walking extra. We'll see what happens.
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks. Drinking more water is a good idea.

About exercise: next week is the first week of a new year of university - a lot of new students means all the sports associations are all very open to new members. Everything is for free! So, it's the perfect time to try some new sports. Gonna do that a lot. Will check out swimming, athletics, climbing and some other sports. Of course I'll select only 1-3 sports to keep on doing, but it'll be fun to meet some new people in this way and try some other sports.

And I'll burn some more calories in the process.

I'll also start planning meals (nutrition/calories) and noting down exactly what I eat. I have time to get used to that. I did not do this last time I was losing weight, but my appetite was just a lot less then what it is now. Anyways, what I've learned from the last time losing that I lost weight is that it's about creating a calorie deficit and if you have this, you'll lose weight (ok it's not such an impressive insight ;) ). I think if I just plan out my meals to contain a certain amount of calories and build up my exercise intensity very slowly, but surely, I will lose weight again like last time.

...and then the weight gain from the last 8 years and the smoking from the last 4 years will be behind me!
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. Although quitting isn't easy, it's so worth it.

I heard that all the damage done by smoking can be reversed if you quit by age 30. Not really sure about the accuracy of this, but it motivated me to stop by 30 and that was 12 years ago.

It's so much easier to exercise without the smokers cough, and everything tastes so much better now too.
  • mamahoff22
    mamahoff22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quite smoking last year March and gained 2.1/2 stone. This was mainly because I was comfort eating without realising I was doing it. Once I recognised what I was doing I have now lost 1 stone by writing down what I was eating each day and trying not to consume 1400 calories per day. I also done a 30 min daily walk. I lost the weight in 8 weeks. I now want to lost the 1.5 stone so that I can get back to where I used to be. I feel h
  • klarsson65
    Options
    Congrats on your quit! Freedom from nicotine is a beautiful thing!! I too quit 3 months ago and my boyfriend about 3 weeks ago. We have found substituting exercise is the best thing ever when quitting smoking, or at any time of course. It helps with the weight gain, which comes with added caloric intake, cravings, and slight metabolism slow down. Exercise revs up the metabolism. Lots of water helps too. Helps flush out the remaining nicotine as well as makes you feel full. Keep lots of raw veggies pre-prepared in fridge to grab. Sugar free candies to suck on also help. My boyfriend finds that sunflower seeds in shell also help, or chewing gum. Things definitely taste better after quitting and then there is that weird boredom feeling that goes along with it and oddly makes you want to eat more. Staying really busy for the first while seems to help as well and keeps your mind off food. I have only gained a couple of pounds, but that is because I was eating ice cream like a fiend the first few months. Really craved sugar, but I found going for a walk really helped curb that. It all levels off after a few months and you will find you are not wanting to eat all the time and sugar cravings will pass. Keep up the good work!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Don't give up, it will be the best thing you've ever done for yourself. I gained 10lbs when I quit smoking and kept it on for years but now I way less than I did when I quit. Just keep working out and eating right and don't worry about it. It will all even out later.
  • carole248
    carole248 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I gave up 2 months ago. This is also when I started to watch my calories and excercise more. I have not gained only lost weight. I think if you watch what you eat you will be fine. I excercised everytime i wanted a smoke.
  • SwissDave
    SwissDave Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Smoking raises your metabolic rate, about 200 calories a day in my case after giving up last year and experimenting with daily allowance.
    That and the comfort eating will pile the pounds on unless you do something about it, 2 kg in 18 days is a significant gain, you need to get on top of it quickly. :-)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! My stepson found working out really helped when he quit smoking when he went to Med School. He now feels antsy if he can't work out. He lifts and runs and bikes.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The main problem I found in giving up smoking was replacing on addiction with others, both my eating and drinking increased but I have to say that part of this was the fact I was enjoying them both so much more because I could actually taste things.

My doctor gave me some sound advice when I mention my weight gain, but also the best excuse I could have for doing nothing about it. What he said was "Being overweight isn't good for you but then you would need to be over 400 lbs to have the same risks as you had from smoking" and I was smoking 30 - 40 per day

So I continued to let my weight gain continue while convincing myself that I was still healthier than I was. What finally changed this is that I realised that I had become embarrassed to be seen without my top off or even unbuttoned in public while on holiday.

Has my appetite decreased? no and I am probably eating more now than I used to but I eat healthy.

Weight gain seems to be a side affect of giving up smoking and should be taken in context of the health benefits, but I have found that it doesn't have to be permanent and I WILL be in a position to get a sun tan summer 2014 :happy:
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    I gave up 2 years ago and know what your feeling ..
    your past the hard stage as it takes 2 weeks for the nicotine and toxins to leave your system,
    which means you have made it as long as temptation doesn't enter ..

Keep yourself busy and find an exercise to do before you go for food .. try and redirect yourself so to speak!

Your Doing Great :))x
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You know why people gain weight after stopping smoking? Cause they replace the smokes in their mouth with food.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It depends what you want.

I was determined to absolutely not gain weight. I gained 2lbs of water weight and nothing more because I ate as normal and I exercised everyday. Those happy endorphines are what replaced the lack of nicotine and I felt great because I was eating very healthily.

It's not a magic thing, weight gain happens because you're eating more than youre burning. Nicotine is not a magic calorie burner. Yes, it supresses appetite but you have to be strong and keep it under control. Plan your meals, if you want to snack go workout!

I've been there a couple of times and never gained weight. It's mind over matter, don't let the myths get you. It truely is psychological.

Eta; I quit for good now after reading Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking. He reassured you that weight gain is a myth and psychological, as that's the first thing people will tell you when they stop smoking.

Also, really well done on stopping! It's the best thing you'll ever do! x
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    People gain weight after they quit smoking because nicotine is a natural hunger supressant. People give up the smokes, give into the hunger feelings and then find a new adiction....food.

I didn't gain any weight when I quit in December of last year. If you keep at your deficit, you won't gain weight. You just have to keep at it and weigh everything. And I mean everything. Weigh the ketchup, the salad dressing, even weigh the bacon bits you use...everything.

Then, find a different addiction. Me? I swapped out smoking with running.
  • meeeshellllle
    meeeshellllle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I quit while I was already losing weight with mfp, so I didn't gain any weight I haven't smoked in 3 months and I'm steadily losing weight and almost at my goal. You will be fine!!! Just stay within your calories for the day :]
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I havent had a cigarette in 5 weeks and i havent gained not a single pound. I actually broke through my plateau and lost another 3-4 pounds.

I've drank A LOT of coffee however, think that was my go to instead of candies or gum or what ever.

Just keep exercising and watching your calories and it shouldnt be a problem (:
  • mshellc1
    Options
    Congratulations!! I quit smoking 4 months ago. I gained 15 lbs but have started losing weight. I think it's important to grab healthy snacks and increase exercises. I would go for a walks after a meal, even if just a block. Quitting smoking is best thing you can do for your health.
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks for all your posts, very encouraging!

I will just let go of the idea that I am in danger of gaining more weight - I will choose to change my lifestyle from this very moment, so that I will lose weight again:

- I will do exercise every day. Intensive exercise every 2 days (like running), relaxed exercise the other days (walking, swimming).
    - I will stop drinking alcohol for the next month. Saves quite some calories. Instead I'll drink water (regular and I'll buy water with bubbles - I love the taste of that).
    - Vegetables - I'll eat a lot of them. I actually have a vegetable garden and I can eat much more from there, it's full of all kinds of vegetables. Just made some potatoes, parsnip and zucchini; tasted great!
    - I will avoid chips and fast food.

I believe that by doing this I will start to lose weight again. And I've got the motivation to do this. Will buy a new pair of running shoes and do my first run today.