Is there any apps available that help keep a certain pace?

I am looking for a way to keep a steady pace. I use the runkeeper app but that only gives current pace, which changes regularly.

Maybe an app with a beep or something so you know when your foot has to touch the ground. Obviously this wont be accurate as people take longer strides and stuff, but it would help!

Thanks

Replies

• Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    I use ismoothrun. It has a metronomone you can configure and turn off/on.
    It exports to runkeeper and to fitbit.
    I'd like to pick up a polar hrm to sync with it too.
    I think it was about $6. Love it and you can make feature suggestions to the developer and he's does reply and act upon
    Hth
  • John1610
    John1610 Posts: 31 Member
    ahh that's iPhone only and I have an android phone :( thanks anyway.
  • pick up a heart rate monitor. suunto m1 is a good buy (got my GF one). Its a game changer. I cant really stress the difference its made. Helps motivation when you can measure progress and pace and you can run your "heart rate Zones". Sounds complex, really isint. You can get a polar H7 heart rate band for you iphone, but i cant vouch for them as i have no experience.
  • runninghealthy
    runninghealthy Posts: 21 Member
    I don't know if they have an app for android, but I know that mapmyrun has this for the iphone, where it'll tell you if you're above or below a goal pace, and to slow down or speed up.

In terms of more what it sounds like you're looking for, with a steady beat or pulse, I actually use music for this. You'd be surprised how many great songs you can find that have essentially the same beat. If you imagine nodding your head to music, think about your feet just doing the same thing, falling to the beat of the song. I've got about 30 songs on a playlist that all have generally the same beat, and I just ran 4 miles with it this morning, and when I uploaded the data from my garmin, my mile paces were almost identical for all 4.

The other thing I'll sometimes do is to have a playlist with slower songs in the beginning, while I'm getting warmed up and into the run, and faster paced ones later, when I'm really in my stride.