Starting over, again 🙄😕

Options
amioc
amioc Posts: 175 Member
How many times have you all started over? I’ve started over so many times and now I’m at the point where I would love to look like my first before picture 😩!! Every time I start over I say “this is the last time I’m starting over” but so far it never is 😕. I just keep loosing and gaining the same few
lbs but now I have put on an extra 2lbs 😩!! For those of you that have followed through with it how did you make the last starting over count? What was different about it from the last time you started over if that makes sense? Any advice would be fantastic ☺️. I just have to stick to it this time!!!

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Hi amioc, I understand your frustration but it's hard to be helpful if you don't say a bit more. Losing and gaining the same few pounds sunds like you are maintaining your weight, but from your post I take it that you are not maintaining where you want to be. What does "starting over" mean for you?

For myself, I lost around 30lbs regained them (medication, menopause, conferences...) and have now lost them again. Both times I lost them by logging what I eat with mfp and increasing exercise (and logging that too). Now I am maintaining at my goal weight, and find that this really does seem to look like gaining and losing 2lbs over and over. That is: my weight fluctuates about 1kg (2lbs) in any given week. So I guess the question to think about is what does it mean to you to live in a way that you are on that downward trend? What have you done done before? Of that, what worked for you? For me it is about identifying eating and exercise habits that work, that I enjoy and that are sustainable long term, so that I don't need to think about it as "starting over" but as getting on with my (healthy) lifestyle.
  • Whittlepower
    Whittlepower Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of what will be my last starting over, I'm almost 10 years gaining a lot losing a little yoyoing... I feel this is going to be my last time as I have invested with a personal trainer that focuses not only on fitness but on nutrition but more importantly education and understanding of why you train/eat the way you do or the way you should. His whole motto is why train harder when you can train smarter. I'm 100kg at the moment and 161cm so even tieing my shoes can be a struggle sometimes. He says if you can lose weight by adjusting the food a little why sweat it out of you and make it harder on your joints. Get the weight down in the kitchen and train smarter for better results. I'm 5 days in and 1kg down! Fingers and toes crossed this will be my very last time.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that one's former lifestyle can't be one's future lifestyle if we're constantly yo-yo'ing on the scale. For things to "stick", the lifestyle changes must become permanent. Set small goals. Find things you can live with. Be consistent.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I had several sessions with a dietician that were amazingly helpful giving me direction. I went in with a whole list of questions, listened to her suggestions, and read a lot here on the boards about nutrition, volume eating, and about tasty but lower calorie food substitutions.

Sometimes employers or some health plans will offer sessions free or discounted.

I got mine via my gym (owned by the local hospital but open to the public). I assume it was discounted, but was only $25 per session. Absolutely worth every penny and every moment- if you go in with a list of questions, and a list of everything you’ve eaten for the past couple weeks for them to review.

She was also who recommended MFP, btw.

A dietician is different than a “nutritionist” (if you’re in the USA). Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, including people selling multi-level diet foods, or some random trainer at the gym. Dieticians are degreed and registered.

And I agree. If you can afford a trainer and if you find one you gel with, that can literally be life changing. It has for me. I was doing OK just losing weight without one, but hiring her and beginning weights has reshaped my body. She calls me her little human sculpture project and I am overjoyed to be her clay. Or victim, occasionally.

I had two trainers earlier. One was a former marine drill sargeant who was brutal I absolutely hated going to him and thought exercise was punishment because of him. The other was a rote trainer at LA Fitness who let me whine off. Pretty much the only thing he’d have me do was lunge after lunge after lunge. Finding the right trainer with the right sort of motivation- like I said, life changing.

Your job is to line up every duck you can possibly manage and make this work this time.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have started over approximately 575 times...just kidding...but it's been a lot! Currently I'm on the longest streak I think of my life, at 104 total days logged in MFP and 35 pounds down. These goals are hard ones to achieve and maintain and I applaud anyone who had made it to the other side of their journey; I'm a work in progress for sure, but there is never shame in starting over if you stumble! Stay strong!
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I bet there are a ton of us that have "before photos" that we would love to currently look like. I've just recently restarted, been off and on here for a while. The difference this time is introducing small daily habits. Very low, easy to achieve, easy wins. Then doing that every day but only focusing on winning today, every day.
  • amioc
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Hi amioc, I understand your frustration but it's hard to be helpful if you don't say a bit more. Losing and gaining the same few pounds sunds like you are maintaining your weight, but from your post I take it that you are not maintaining where you want to be. What does "starting over" mean for you?

For myself, I lost around 30lbs regained them (medication, menopause, conferences...) and have now lost them again. Both times I lost them by logging what I eat with mfp and increasing exercise (and logging that too). Now I am maintaining at my goal weight, and find that this really does seem to look like gaining and losing 2lbs over and over. That is: my weight fluctuates about 1kg (2lbs) in any given week. So I guess the question to think about is what does it mean to you to live in a way that you are on that downward trend? What have you done done before? Of that, what worked for you? For me it is about identifying eating and exercise habits that work, that I enjoy and that are sustainable long term, so that I don't need to think about it as "starting over" but as getting on with my (healthy) lifestyle.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear 😕. I’ve been trying to loose weight for a few years now. I want to loose 13lbs. I have never got to my goal before. I’ve said so many times right today I start my healthy life stile and I start off good I’ll loose like 5lbs or so and then for whatever reason I end up back to my start weight. I never stick to it for long 😕. I never cut out foods If they fit in my calorie goal so it’s not like I deprive myself of anything I just always end up going backwards and I don’t really no why? Maybe it’s laziness 🤷‍♀️ Or maybe it’s because I just can’t stick to 🤷‍♀️.
    I just wanted to see if anyone else does similar to me 🤷‍♀️
  • amioc
    Options
    Randyamc wrote: »
    I bet there are a ton of us that have "before photos" that we would love to currently look like. I've just recently restarted, been off and on here for a while. The difference this time is introducing small daily habits. Very low, easy to achieve, easy wins. Then doing that every day but only focusing on winning today, every day.

Glad I’m not the only one 🤣!! Hope you don’t mind me asking but what daily habits have you started that work for you? I like the idea of only focusing on winning one day at a time 😊
  • BeckyHere1
    BeckyHere1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie here. Hopefully will not stall
  • valentina_5781
    valentina_5781 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me too. Starting over yet again. We got this