Nut butters and other foods that require acceptance

VegjoyP
VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
Nuts and nut butters... I have developed an ability I never had through MFP and over years of trying to actually weigh the amount of nut butter I have. It has been a source of anguish since I started having to watch my weight years ago. Now finally it is part of my eating but sometimes it drives me crazy (nuts! lol) WHY does it have to be so high calorie? I always think that there will be a day I allot my daily intake with about 800-1000 calories worth then the rest with volume foods. Does anyone do this? lol!
Other foods that are highly calorie dense like nut butters are butter (I like plant based) smaller protein bars (BHU vegan Keto), dried shitake mushroom snacks, (vegan and all) mayo, dressings and hummus.
What are foods like this for all or you?

Replies

• VegjoyP
    My breakfast for years was peanut butter and banana (and egg and protein powder) smoothies but I abruptly stopped after I got a digital food scale and I saw what 2 T of peanut butter really was :(

Yea a tablespoon is not the weight on the jar for one I have! Sometimes I feel like I know too much...lol
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2021
    Interestingly I get more than my typical tablespoon of nutbutter when I go with weight. It's fine for my toast or whatever - great even, but also STILL NOT REALLY WORTH IT.

I think all of those 100 calories per tbsp foods make me a little insane. I AM some day going to eat nothing but PB for an entire day. Or nutella.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I weight the jar then eat pb until I think I've had enough and then weigh it again and log the difference. It is usually an ok amount. But, it means a reduction in other things.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Granola is like that for me. It's supposed to be healthy, right? Or so I used to think. So many calories! Just not worth it. I sub PBfit for peanut butter in smoothies now, but I really miss a good old peanut butter and jelly sandwich - with crushed potato chips inside.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    This is my pain with Sesame Snaps, dark chocolate and my occassional homemade baked goods (last night, I made buttery "coconut cream" muffins πŸ˜­πŸ˜‹)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    This is my pain with Sesame Snaps, dark chocolate and my occassional homemade baked goods (last night, I made buttery "coconut cream" muffins πŸ˜­πŸ˜‹)

I too am a fan of Sesame snaps...your cake...I mean 'healthy muffins' sound yummmm
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: Β»

I too am a fan of Sesame snaps...your cake...I mean 'healthy muffins' sound yummmm

How did you know it was supposed to be a cake? lol

https://sugarandcharm.com/coconut-loaf-cake

Even with my attempt at portion control, mods and subs these are a caloric bomb. A tasty caloric bomb. I made 12 (no icing). Then ate two immediately. I realized how great they were so put 8 in the freezer.

The other two? They keep trying to lure me in πŸ˜‚
  • VegjoyP
    Another random deceiving calorie bomb is dried shitaki mushrooms from Costco πŸ˜‹πŸ’”πŸ˜₯