Meal Scan

Options
holmesgh
holmesgh Posts: 4 Member
Morning, just wondering if someone can tell me why I don't see the meal scan on my Apple IOS S6 the barcode is there but not the meal scan (yes I have Premium) Thanks in advance for any advise

Replies

• CinJas21
    CinJas21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't see it either. I also have a premium plan but on Samsung Galaxy.
  • dikhojr1972
    dikhojr1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi people, I have the same issue. I have a Samsung galaxy (yes my membership is premium). Did you get any feedback k on this?
    Thanks
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,272 Member
    Options
    Last I knew, it was Apple iOS only, and only in the app (not web browser MFP). If that's still true, that would explain not seeing it on Samsung Galaxy.

@holmesgh, you might want to open a support ticket through the Help function, if it's not showing up in Apple where the documentation says it's supposed to be.

As an Android app user, I can't suggest more than that.

As a long term (6+ year) calorie counter, I can't even begin to say how skeptical I am that meal scan could possibly give reasonable estimates across a range of foods, sufficiently to be reliable for daily use. Some of the most common causes of major variation in calorie level are the amounts of fat or sugar cooked into things, and things that superficially look the same can vary by maybe even hundreds of calories. I don't see how AI can assess that. Perhaps some Apple user can offer a perspective on this, though.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    Options
    That’s what I’ve wondered @AnnPT77

I’ve been experimenting with a King Arthur scone recipe. As published, it says 2-8 tbsp butter (“using more makes a richer scone”) and 1tsp-8tbsp sugar (“savory scone versus sweeter scone”).

The results would look alike.

I have to say, at 2 of butter and a tsp of sugar, it made a damn dry scone. I’d hate to be overcharged significant calories by some scan for such a chokingly dry bit of baking.

And how would the scan know if I’d used buttermilk versus whey, and that I subbed 30gr plain whey powder for flour (which might also explain the dryness, although I doubt it). R

• springlering62
    Options
    Oh aaargh caught by another zombie thread
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Oh aaargh caught by another zombie thread

Oops, obvs got me, too - though I think the comment to the more recent post about Samsung Galaxy still applies. It's not a feature that I envy the Apple users, based on what you/I think about it, but having never used it, I could be wrong.

Aren't you an Apple user? Have you tried it?
  • springlering62
    Options
    Nope, for the reasons above. I prefer exactitude.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Nope, for the reasons above. I prefer exactitude.

If I had an Apple device (I won't), I'd have to try it, just as an experiment. Always curious!
  • springlering62
    Options
    I will and I’ll post screen shots ….. cuz now…. Curious.