What is so good about porridge/oatmeal?

Options
I am a big fan of porridge, and have it with water instead of milk to reduce fat intake, but I was wondering, why is it so recommended? Why is it nutritionally advantaged?

I enjoy eating it every morning which is a good thing, but I've just been wondering!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it's nutritionally advantaged? Habit and it could be considered a comfort food is probably why people enjoy oatmeal.........it's like pasta, you can add just about anything to it for variety and dietary purposes.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I like it because I can add whatever I want for flavoring. Its very filling so it holds me over till lunch without me getting the munchies. If you enjoy it, eat it.

ETA: I also make mine with water. Then add my flavoring. Some days applesauce, some brown sugar and butter, some maple syrup. Whatever I'm in the mood for.
  • terriveller
    terriveller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It helps your body naturally decrease bad cholesterol levels, along with things like cheerios and whole grain foods.
  • John1610
    John1610 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it's nutritionally advantaged? Habit and it could be considered a comfort food is probably why people enjoy oatmeal.........it's like pasta, you can add just about anything to it for variety and dietary purposes.

Just because it seems to always be on lists of things to eat when trying to eat healthily.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Grits taste better.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    It helps your body naturally decrease bad cholesterol levels, along with things like cheerios and whole grain foods.
    Yes, General Mills has your health in mind when they make cereals for all us health conscience people......hurray for big Agra looking after us.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It has a lower glycemic index than foods like bread and pasta which means it takes longer for your body to digest it, keeping you full for longer. It's good for regulating your cholesterol and far less processed without the additives of a lot of other breakfast cereals.
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    1. Oatmeal has a low glycemic level. It has more fiber and less sugar than many foods. This results in a lower blood sugar level. Foods that have a lot of sugar in them can cause blood sugar spikes, which are followed by big dips. This is why people who eat a lot of sugar tend to be hungry again not long after they finish their meals. It's why kids in the '80s (like me!) could eat five bowls of cereal before the end of Saturday morning cartoons.

2. The fiber in oatmeal aids digest and helps you feel fuller. This curbs appetite while providing you with valuable nutrients.

3. Oatmeal lowers cholesterol.

4. Oatmeal is versatile and simple to make in the microwave. It's also a food that you can spruce up with fresh fruit, a little brown sugar and cinnamon, etc.

In my opinion, oatmeals also has some negatives. It lacks texture and doesn't have much flavor on its own. Plus, there's not much fat in oatmeal. When I start my day, I do much better when I have texture, flavor and fat. So I usually have a fried egg or two with my oatmeal and tend to put brown sugar and chopped walnuts in my oatmeal.

What I wouldn't do is eat oatmeal if you don't like it simply because you hear that it's good for you. Success in losing weight will depend more on the calories you consume than on the foods you eat and on your ability to sustain it over a long period. If you don't like oatmeal, it will be difficult for you to get much satisfaction out of breakfast, and it could cause you to have more cravings later in the day. There are other nutritious options. Your best bet is probably to get variety in your diet. But, if you just love oatmeal, then eat it up with a big spoon. But don't eat too much. Again, it's the calories that matter most.
  • WaterBunnie
    Options
    Can always eat oats in muesli format if you want more texture too.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    1. Oatmeal has a low glycemic level. It has more fiber and less sugar than many foods. This results in a lower blood sugar level. Foods that have a lot of sugar in them can cause blood sugar spikes, which are followed by big dips. This is why people who eat a lot of sugar tend to be hungry again not long after they finish their meals. It's why kids in the '80s (like me!) could eat five bowls of cereal before the end of Saturday morning cartoons.

2. The fiber in oatmeal aids digest and helps you feel fuller. This curbs appetite while providing you with valuable nutrients.

3. Oatmeal lowers cholesterol.

4. Oatmeal is versatile and simple to make in the microwave. It's also a food that you can spruce up with fresh fruit, a little brown sugar and cinnamon, etc.

In my opinion, oatmeals also has some negatives. It lacks texture and doesn't have much flavor on its own. Plus, there's not much fat in oatmeal. When I start my day, I do much better when I have texture, flavor and fat. So I usually have a fried egg or two with my oatmeal and tend to put brown sugar and chopped walnuts in my oatmeal.

What I wouldn't do is eat oatmeal if you don't like it simply because you hear that it's good for you. Success in losing weight will depend more on the calories you consume than on the foods you eat and on your ability to sustain it over a long period. If you don't like oatmeal, it will be difficult for you to get much satisfaction out of breakfast, and it could cause you to have more cravings later in the day. There are other nutritious options. Your best bet is probably to get variety in your diet. But, if you just love oatmeal, then eat it up with a big spoon. But don't eat too much. Again, it's the calories that matter most.

All of this.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just like what several other people mentioned, It's filling, low in calories, high in fiber, and easy to make.

Personally, I hated oatmeal for most of my life and always preferred Cream of Wheat as far as hot breakfast cereals went. Then I realized that it was just my mom's method (she always put butter in it) I didn't like.

I eat mine with cinnamon, brown sugar and a quarter cup of mixed berries, and sometimes jam stirred in instead of the berries.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is associated with decreased cholesterol levels and lower incidence of cardio-vascular disease. Also associated with lower incidence of diabetes, and obesity. Eating oatmeal (as well as other wholegrains) can also significantly reduce high blood pressure.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Oatmeal is associated with decreased cholesterol levels and lower incidence of cardio-vascular disease. Also associated with lower incidence of diabetes, and obesity. Eating oatmeal (as well as other wholegrains) can also significantly reduce high blood pressure.
    kind regards,

Ben
    I guess they keep forgetting to mention the part about in conjunction with a higher fiber diet that includes fruit and vegetables in a well balanced meal plan.................otherwise it's just another calorie dense carb and if it's instant oatmeal it's high on the glycemic index to boot.
  • WaterBunnie
    Options
    kind regards,

Ben
    I guess they keep forgetting to mention the part about in conjunction with a higher fiber diet that includes fruit and vegetables in a well balanced meal plan.................otherwise it's just another calorie dense carb and if it's instant oatmeal it's high on the glycemic index to boot.

Oats are good for fibre
  • neanderthin
    Options
    kind regards,

Ben

Oats are good for fibre
    Not when compared on a calorie for calorie basis to vegetables, for example and especially in the micro nutrient department. I consume oatmeal, I love it, but there's better sources of nutrients.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's nutritious, delicious, and filling :)
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    It "sticks to your stomach" as my grandpa likes to say. Lets you feel full on less calories than many other foods.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've never liked porridge, the texture wigs me out. Luckily I'm celiac and there are no GF oats in NZ so I don't have to eat them.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    kind regards,

Ben

Oats are good for fibre
    Not when compared on a calorie for calorie basis to vegetables, for example and especially in the micro nutrient department. I consume oatmeal, I love it, but there's better sources of nutrients.

Yes, I think you are right - there are better sources of nutrients.
    But I guess it depends what you want and are looking for as a breakfast. For me, it ticks a lot of boxes. One bowl of porridge can keep me going until lunchtime. It has excellent cholesterol lowering properties and the fibre when broken down by beneficial bacteria in the gut produces propionate - an anti-obesity and satiety-enhancing compound - which is absorbed into the blood stream.
    You can increase the nutrient load of oatmeal by adding a tbs of ground flaxseed, cinammon, and cloves - to name a few. Or you could also add berries or other fruit.
    I sweeten my oatmeal with dried dates, figs or sultanas, a Tbs of flaxseed (ground) and top with a couple of Tbs of soymilk.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat oats in the almost-dry form (rolled oats, as in muesli) or in pre-soaked form, usually cooked (porridge) or soaked over night in water (Bircher Muesli) or yoghurt.

In the second form, it's much less calorie dense and more immediately filling. The flakes/grains stick together and form a gel. It's that texture that many people don't like. So if you don't why not try the first form? My brother in the 80s grew up on uncooked oats with raisins and milk.

Admittedly at the expense of either a much smaller portion or more calories. What do you expect --- rolled oats are a crushed grain, fairly dry carbs with some fibre and actually 10% natural fat -- roughly 360 cals per 100g. Whereas cooked, 50grams of oats already make 250-300g of porridge, that's only 60-70 calories per 100g finished porridge from oats alone -- more, of course, if you made it with milk or yoghurt.

Does anyone know the answer to this: When you consume oats in the uncooked form, then it forms that gel only in your intestines. Wouldn't that be much healthier than if the gel has already been formed outside (porridge) and inside your body, the ability of the oatmeal to absorb more liquid would be much more limited?