Acceptable Late Night Snacks?

So I’m a night owl, and when the rest of my family is asleep I often find I want to catchup on TV I’ve missed and want a small snack (normally salty or sweet). Anyone have a good suggestion for crave-able late night snacks that won’t bust my daily calorie goals?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    What works for you is very individual. I can say I enjoy eating a waver bar, but maybe that would send you into a binge. How many calories do you have left? Can you bank more for a bigger snack?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Another way to look at it is to save calories for the snack, as Yirara suggested, and seek yummy snacks that have decent nutrition so it's not an empty-calories thing.

A variety of thoughts across the spectrum:
    * Raw veggies (with seasoning or seasoned salt as long as you don't have a special need to limit salt because of a health condition, or with a calorie-efficient dip such as flavorful vinaigrette or something yogurt-based),
    * crispy chickpeas or broad beans (homemade or commercial brand),
    * popcorn (homemade & seasoned**, or a calorie-efficient commercial brand),
    * fruit (whole fruit is less calorie-dense than dried fruit),
    * string cheese or other calorie-efficient cheese,
    * Yasso Greek yogurt bars (frozen treat) or frozen juice bars (homemade from juice or with a Jello recipe, or commercial),
    * pickles (cucumber or other).

** I thought this was good:
    http://naturalchow.com/2014/03/healthy-dorito-flavored-popcorn/
    Doesn't taste exactly like Doritos, but tastes good IMO.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Whatever fits into your budget is fine tbh, there's really nothing magical about eating any particular food at any particular time.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    My favorite late night and low calorie snack right now is lite cool whip (or almond milk whipped cream in a can) and berries. The whipped cream's about 20 calories per 2 tbsp, berries are really low too. Whole thing tops out at about 100 calories, it's sweet and it feels indulgent.

• viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Sugar-free Jello is my go-to. I keep a bowl in the fridge and a few bites usually satisfies the sweet craving. Even if I were to binge on the entire bowl, it would only be 80 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I haven't logged in years, but when I did I typically pre-logged my days and included my evening t.v. snack. That way I knew where I stood before it happened and I could make any other necessary adjustments (or not) throughout the day.

For me, usually popcorn or dark chocolate morsels.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Wasabi peas. I find that the hot-ness keeps me from eating a whole lot. Or, at times when I would be tepted to keep eating, i do grapefruit. Nothing else tastes good right after grapefruit.
  • crmzn
    crmzn Posts: 83 Member
    Eating late isn’t always a great idea, tbh. It depends on your goals. For many, late night eating can derail. But if you have to do it, like others have said……look at your calorie goal (hopefully you’re tracking) and figure out what fits.
  • strangeanimal55
    strangeanimal55 Posts: 87 Member
    I like popcorn. The bags I get are 100 cals (or around that if you only weigh the ones that popped) and it's filling
  • crmzn
    crmzn Posts: 83 Member
    I f
    I like popcorn. The bags I get are 100 cals (or around that if you only weigh the ones that popped) and it's filling

I forgot about skinny pop. That stuff is fairly low cal, as long as you portion control:)
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    We have dinner pretty early (5pm) due to the kids so for me I WANT treats but I am also sometimes hungry too.

My current fave is a sliced banana briefly microwaved and then mixed with cocoa powder or hot chocolate powder.

It looks absolutely repulsive but is quite filling and tastes like a warm brownie or something.
  • Sara3veg
    Sara3veg Posts: 48 Member
    I know that night time eating can be an issue for me, so I try not to eat food after supper. But, when I do want something I'll have a kcup hot cider, hot cocoa or cappuccino. These range from 60-100 calories and give me something to sip on, without taking up a lot of calories.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    I love my (almost) nightly Caramel Apple Pie Light and Fit Greek yogurt. I look forward to it. Its only 80 calories and satisfies me. Or, orville r. smart pop microwave popcorn. Two snack size bags makes me happy and is 200 calories. Some days I have enough left for that.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    crmzn wrote: »
    I f

I forgot about skinny pop. That stuff is fairly low cal, as long as you portion control:)

Regular-*kitten* popcorn is also pretty low calorie if you skip or limit the butter. I think a whole normal-sized popped bag of the reduced fat kind I have is only like 200-250 cal all together for a truly absurd volume of popcorn. (And a, sometimes very literal, s***load of fiber...if ya know what I mean.)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    The plan I'm currently following entails casein protein pared with a healthy fat right at bedtime. Practically, this is a pretty good sized scoop of natural peanut butter (40g) washed down with casein protein powder mixed with water. I plan for it daily and find it keeps me from being tempted to snack on other things between dinner and bedtime knowing that snack is coming. Peanut butter also allegedly supports melatonin production so there's than ancillary benefit as well. That portion is 324 calories so YMMV on whether or not that's acceptable calorically but I've been on this plan for over two months and it's yet to present any negative effects.
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2021
    What's low calorie for you? 100 calories? 300?
  • str82nichelle
    str82nichelle Posts: 1,014 Member
    edited June 2021
    Mott's unsweetened applesauce (different flavors available) 40-50 calories. Quaker Caramel Rice Cakes-- 50 calories. One of my favs that I will eat before 7 pm (don't eat after 7) Boom chicka pop sweet and salty kettle popcorn--140 calories.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Mott's unsweetened applesauce (different flavors available) 40-50 calories. Quaker Caramel Rice Cakes-- 50 calories. One of my favs that I will eat before 7 pm (don't eat after 7) Boom chicka pop sweet and salty kettle popcorn--140 calories.

Try Jollytime 100's kettle corn. 50% of the calories in Boom.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Original fudgesicle 80 calories
    Sugar free jello 20 calories
    Make my own popcorn so I can control the butter 100 calories
    Good thins crackers with lite laughing cow cheese 100 calories