Weightlifting sock recommendation!

I have some great compression knee high socks for the winter for snatch, cleans and deadlifts. I need some thinner ones for the summer as I can’t bear to wear thick socks when it’s 25 degrees in my home gym (ie a shed!) but I shredded my shins yesterday as I just had ankle socks on. Any recommendations for cooling long socks? I’m in the UK and female (happy to wear men’s socks but I’m a size 5 and men’s don’t always go down that small).

Replies

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    When will hosiery make a come back??? I wore some support hose like these for a 3rd shift waitressing job when I was 18, and they were great!!!:D

uqyw7nlejbzq.png
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Uh I can’t see fashion tights lasting very long with a 100kg knurled barbell being dragged up them. And actually they’d be way too hot under my shorts. My legs would look better I suppose and I wouldn’t be milk bottle white 🤔
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Gaffa tape? ;)
    Make shaving a thing of the past....

Worth a look at Wiggle as they do run, bike and tri clothing.
    Maybe these?
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cep-womens-run-socks-30

But expensive to drag a bar over, maybe just some cheapo football socks from somewhere like Sports Direct?
  • claireychn074
    Ta @sijomial I’ll look at those 👍 wondered about footie socks but I think they might be as thick as my deadlifting socks. I maybe after the impossible: lightweight, comfortable but able to withstand the barbell 🤣
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    It's possible that you really don't need them. A good indicator is if they are uncomfortable!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Might you be better off with gym leggings rather than shorts and socks? At least the leggings are sweat wicking etc. That's what I wear and don't get too hot. Although rather more expensive to buy than some socks.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    It's possible that you really don't need them. A good indicator is if they are uncomfortable!

She's complaining about them being too hot. Without them the bar is tearing up her shins.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited June 2021
    25 degrees C is 77 degrees F, a typical air conditioned gym would be around 72 degrees. Personally I'd say if you can't find any different socks, just realize your shed isn't all that hot, you should be able to adapt nicely. My garage gym and/or outdoor workout environment is often 35+ degrees C in Summer and the Winter temp gets -10C or lower. You can get used to it.
  • claireychn074
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    25 degrees C is 77 degrees F, a typical air conditioned gym would be around 72 degrees. Personally I'd say if you can't find any different socks, just realize your shed isn't all that hot, you should be able to adapt nicely. My garage gym and/or outdoor workout environment is often 35+ degrees C in Summer and the Winter temp gets -10C or lower. You can get used to it.

I’m a very pale Scottish girl living in England and think it’s baking when it gets to about 15 degrees lol! Yes I expect I will adapt, I just wondered if there was a comfortable cool solution out there in the meantime.

Otherwise I’ll consider @sijomial ’s solution and get some gaffa tape 🤣
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I’m a very pale Scottish girl living in England and think it’s baking when it gets to about 15 degrees lol! Yes I expect I will adapt, I just wondered if there was a comfortable cool solution out there in the meantime.

Otherwise I’ll consider @sijomial ’s solution and get some gaffa tape 🤣

Can you just wear your current socks and scrunch them down to your ankles when not doing a movement where they are needed to save your skin?
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    Wool socks. Sounds crazy but they keep your feet dry and they’re breathable. They’re all I wear, winter or summer, when I’m exercising.

Plus, if you’re in Scotland, you should be able to get the best of the best :)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Could you not tackle the problem from the barbell side?

Tape or pad the bar? Tubular bandage would skip on and off easily or electrician's tape perhaps if you don't mind it being semi-permanent.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Sorted! 😀 my mum has apparently found me some summer compression socks! With flamingos on them 🤔

Sounds like single leg RDLs are in your future then, to match your flamingos!
  • claireychn074
    Sadly single leg RDLs are a regular part of my workouts 🤮