Trying to transition off of keto...

Options
Qbaimee
Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
Hey ya'll....
I have been doing keto for almost 2 years now (down 60 lbs my first year). I have been on and off for the last year and actually I am up 40 lbs from my lowest and goal weight. :neutral:

I want to transition from having that keto mindset into healthy balanced eating and when I think about it, my mind is just like WTF, how do I do this? Like I haven't been dieting almost my entire life lol.

Any advice, suggestions? Like I have no idea what to eat and not eat. All I know is the keto way. I have to re-learn how to eat healthy and balanced. Kinda not knowing where to start.

I went back to look at my diary from when I know I was eating healthy to get some ideas and all the entries are gone.

Any advice/suggestions much appreciated to help me transition.

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    What do you hope to accomplish by transitioning off keto? Do you miss eating more carbs? Do you have concerns that you're eating too much saturated fat? Do you spend a ton of time on meal prep for keto and want something simpler? In terms of "healthy balanced eating," what does that look like to you? Why is keto not that?

I would figure out what your main non-keto goal is and work on that (i.e. introduce small portions of carbs, like 150 calories of pasta with dinner if you want to eat starchy carb goodness again, or look up 30-minute meals and make whatever sounds good). Stick to a calorie goal appropriate for you current goals (lose 1 lb/week?) and set your macros to something that feels comfortable but isn't a drastic change. Maybe a 30% protein, 40% fat, 30% carb ratio to get started and tweak to what feels right for you.

Be prepared that if you've really been eating keto for all this time, you'll probably gain some water weight when you introduce higher carb levels, and really sugary items might make you feel sick. You also might find that you don't like these things, or they trigger cravings that you'll have to manage.

If the ultimate goal is weight loss, remember that you need a calorie deficit first and foremost. Keto is a tool to get there, but you can still overeat on it. Changing to a balanced diet doesn't guarantee you'll not overeat, and you'll have to pay close attention to calories since the foods are less familiar.