Grams vs ounces

Options
roseym10
roseym10 Posts: 103 Member
Is there a difference between logging grams vs ounces or are both measurements in the food database to account for people who use the metric system vs what those of us here in the US use? Is one more accurate than the other?

Replies

• roseym10
    Options
    Thanks. I noticed that some of the entries in the food database only have ounces. What do you do if there isn't a gram measurement? I going to try and tighten up my logging and can use all the help I can get lol
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You just look until you find an entry that has the units you need. The database is crowd sourced, so you do need to do a bit of work in the beginning to find entries that are correct and have the units you want to use, lots of bad and incomplete entries in there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I check all items for accuracy. That's the most important thing for me. I am in the U.S, but I use grams exclusively for solid items. It's the smallest unit of measurement and I want every little gram of peanut butter to which I'm entitled, :lol:

So if I can't find one quickly that has grams and is accurate I just edit an existing food or enter a brand new one into the database. Once I use it, it goes automatically into my "Recents" list and is then easy for me to find.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    roseym10 wrote: »
    Thanks. I noticed that some of the entries in the food database only have ounces. What do you do if there isn't a gram measurement? I going to try and tighten up my logging and can use all the help I can get lol

Check the drop down list of serving sizes on the item. Some will have grams on the list, even when the default size for the item is in ounces.

Or, another option in addition to others' good suggestions: Weigh in grams, convert to ounces and hundredths if you're comfortable with the arithmetic (28g = 1oz, close enough). You can enter hundredths of servings in MFP, and it will use that precision in its math, though it'll round on display in your food log.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,427 Member
    Options
    After a while you’ll get familiar with knowing stuff like a serving of butter is 14gr, and so on. Also, nutrition labels actually include both. Like the Sabra hummus I just ate was 28gr/serving. I ate 22gr, or .79 of a serving as shown in MFP.

I love using grams. My baked goods are far more consistent with them.

My daughter lives in Europe and is eternally taking me to task (like I’m personally responsible!) for “stupid American recipes”.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Oh and PS I do NOT use the drop down menu to convert sizes. I’ve found that a lot of the conversions are sorely inaccurate. I prefer to use whatever matches the actual nutrition label and convert to fractional sizes. Far more accurate.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Seconding @springlering62 - there are some entries where the math gets WILD when you change up the units.

If you want to use an entry in one unit but you measure in another, just do the math - weigh out (say) 40g of cheese, just divide that by 28 to get the weight in oz and log that (40g = about 1.43 oz). If you forget the conversion, you can also just ask Google/Siri/Alexa for a conversion, like say "40g in oz" and it will spit out the answer for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,507 Member
    Options
    Grams are precise and easier to understand. Say something is 120 calorie for an ounce. But you ate 1.3 ounces. Now believe me when I say there are some people out there who AREN'T that good with math (remember when some asked why we needed to learn math if we weren't ever really going to ever use it) and would totally blow the calorie calculation be they wouldn't know how convert that .3 ounces into calories. With grams it's easier because you just divide the grams into the serving to see how much each calorie it is per gram.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • H1L5
    H1L5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use grams or spoons. A teaspoon is 5 grams. What I can't get my head round is cups. How much is a cup? Could be any size or is it?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    H1L5 wrote: »
    I use grams or spoons. A teaspoon is 5 grams. What I can't get my head round is cups. How much is a cup? Could be any size or is it?

In the U.S. a Cup is a standard measurement of 8 ounces.

98290e8c-d4bd-4ded-92de-2da0c5b52a33.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

A teaspoon of X isn't necessarily 5 grams. It depends on what X is, how dense. A teaspoon is a volume measure, a gram is a mass measure. They don't necessarily equate for all substances of all densities.

A US cup is 8 fluid ounces, a volume measure, equates to 236.588ml, call it 237ml. How many grams it will be is going to depend on what substance you're talking about it, but a US cup is a standardized volume measure.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    (...) How much is a cup? Could be any size or is it?
    Ha ha, I had the exact same reaction when I first saw the term.

It's 240 ml (not exactly but close enough, like 237-something).
  • springlering62
    Options
    Gotta watch those cups and spoonfuls.

I have a cobbler in the oven which called for a cup of flour (120gr) and a cup of brown sugar (240gr depending on source).

The King Arthur site has an interesting and rather eye-opening breakdown of volume:

2d1g17iro45d.jpeg
  • roseym10
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I learned a lot. I'm glad I can just talk to google if I get stuck on the math
  • springlering62
    Options
    @roseym10

My math has improved right along with my weight. No joke!