weight

Options
home57
home57 Posts: 2 Member
I have tried and tried I have taken away foods that I think are bad I am in my late 60 and I just can not lose any weight I use to be 125 forever after the hysterectomy not so I did not ask for the hysterectomy they found a tumor anyway and scraped me out and left me with an unbalanced metabolism and a unbalance in food I have asked doctors but I get do not eat oatmeal or do not eat bread but not one would really help and that is suppose make me lose my weight NOT I try to follow the posting of foods I get real disappointed when I see nothing happening I feel as though I am just old except it and move on with your golden year but my stomach is as if I am going to have triplets I can not stand it I can not bend over I can barley put shoes ,pants anything that I have to bend over I am so uncomfortable I need to learn the right foods to eat I need menue to go by and I am just tired of trying to find my balance again I am so very frustrated embarrass and just tired can anyone help me I do exercise like chair yoga and walking 3 mile at home anyway I know it is food but how do I put it together to help me love you for trying to help me

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    Options
    Hi, @home57. I get your frustration it’s overwhelming for all of us, regardless of reason, whether physical, or emotional. There’s so much information and misinformation out there it’s a regular tornado of confusion.

MFP boils down to an extremely simple basis: burn more calories than you eat.

To find the number you need to eat, you have to go into profiles/goals and enter your height, weight, activity level, goal weight, and what your weekly goal to lose is.

The elves will calculate how many calories you need to eat.

Don’t go crazy and set “two pounds a week”. I know it’s tempting, but charging into it is going to give you low daily calories and that can be extremely stressful, and ultimately lead to binging and quitting.

Set a reasonable goal.

Now, buy a cheap electronic food scale at a big box store or Amazon. My faithful scale cost me all of $15.

Fir the first few days, eat what you usually eat, but weigh and record it into your food diary. Be honest. You’re only fooling yourself if you don’t.

If you are like me, it’s going to be like a cartoon anvil falling on your head. I discovered I was eating 4-6 times my daily allowance just to maintain my weight. No stinking wonder I was ballooning!!!

And I was so dumb, I thought a toga class or walking a mile or two was offsetting all that. Ummmmmm…..nope.

Once you’ve got a grasp on the “cost” of food versus your allowance, you’re on your way. You will need to cut back where YOU feel the need to cut back.

I discovered meats (protein) kept me satiated, so I eat more of those and less of carbs (breads, cookies), but I still eat them when I have (or deliberately make room) the extra calories in my day for them.

This is a permanent lifestyle change for me. Why would I punish myself by not allowing an ice cream in the park, like last night? I had the room in my plan so enjoyed every drippy drop.

This is a Very brief synopsis.

I lost ninety pounds starting at 56. There are many people here with similar stories.

You either have to believe your own story in your head of “I can’t because”, or create a new story. As much as that stupid saying “she believed she, could so she did” makes me gnash my teeth, it is true. (Although youll never catch me putting that tripe on my bumper. )

Read these forums. Best support and advice system money can’t buy. Cause it’s all freeee!!!!!!!! And these people are wonderful!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It is not enough to take away certain foods if you are overeating everything else. You need to track how many calories you are taking in and make sure it’s leas than you are burning. MFP can help with that by setting your weight loss goals in the setup and tracking your eating in the diary.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    While I agree with all of the great advice given above, I'm also a big advocate for comprehensive healthcare teams.

You mentioned getting advice from doctors about eating yet a nutritionist or dietitian is going to be able to give you more guidance, customize to your preferences and work with where you are at now in terms of character and conviction to change.

If you're still working, access to one may be covered (or subsidized) by your company's healthcare plan.