Options
2»

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I'm a cancer survivor and my oncology nutritionist says 25-30g per day for women. It helps rid your body of carcinogens (which I didn't know!) and helps with weight loss.

I don't know what people eat to get under 30g a day. I find that almost impossible for me to do.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I'm a cancer survivor and my oncology nutritionist says 25-30g per day for women. It helps rid your body of carcinogens (which I didn't know!) and helps with weight loss.

I don't know what people eat to get under 30g a day. I find that almost impossible for me to do.

I'm almost always over 30, and usually well over, but it's not that hard to be low, even eating lots of vegetables, if cals are low and you don't regularly eat beans/lentils or grains or other foods with more fiber (including things like seeds) and generally lower carb.

When I first was at MFP and eating 1200 I was often low. I just did a sample day of how I ate then and came out at 1200 cals and 20 g of fiber, and it had lots of veg and some fruit. (I'm still lower carb but added more higher fiber foods into my diet and don't eat 1200 cals any more.)

Breakfast -- 2 egg omelet, including a serving (80 g) each of spinach and broccoli, plus 2 clementines on the side (1 fruit serving).

Lunch -- huge salad with romaine and arugula, cucumbers, radish, green peppers, and tomatoes with chicken breast on it, and a vinaigrette and an apple on the side (I'd estimate about 2 fruit servings and 7 veg servings based on the amounts I used).

Dinner -- 6 oz salmon plus 100 g of potatoes and 160 g of asparagus (will add 2 more servings of veg).

Totals roughly 1204 cals (I have olive oil in the above unlisted), 94 g protein, 60 g fat (12 g sat), 82 g carbs, with 21 g of that fiber. 11 servings of veg (1 cup of raw greens or 80 g of other veg), 3 servings of fruit.

There are of course other ways to do it that involve eating fewer fruits and veg (that the so called standard American diet is low fiber is hardly surprising), and of course not eating 1200 makes getting in the fiber easier.