Disabled & Discouraged

I have several, severe chronic illnesses and I am disabled. I can only stand for 5 minutes and walking - well, is pretty much non existent. I have to use a mobility scooter to go shopping.

My main problem for exercise is the fact I can't stand for very long or walk very far (or fast) because of excruciating BACK pain. The doctor has tried me on all sorts of tablets, even Diazepam and that didn't even TOUCH the pain. It just made me feel more chilled out than I usually am.

I had 3 little walks yesterday, managing just about what I could. The last being just over 6 minutes and I finished that walk in absolute agony.

I am on a referral for orthopaedics as physiotherapy didn't help my back pain at all.

Just those 3 little walks today have absolutely floored me today with exhaustion and pain.

How do I carry on with this much pain? How can I be active and lose weight when I'm in that much pain I wish I didn't wake up tomorrow? I feel like an absolute failure, no matter which life choices I make now.

Thank you for reading.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    Is it just walking and standing that is a problem? If you look into seated exercise routines, maybe you can find something that you can do without pain to still keep active?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    I can barely walk. I use a NuStep recumbent elliptical.
    They’re amazing. My particular issue includes a balance disorder. I can step through and sit comfortably and securely.

They are expensive. But you can get one on credit. I know that’s not ideal. But it’s what we’re doing.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    edited June 2021
    It’s possible to lose weight without lots of exercise. I found these two users to be particularly inspiring, and there’s others, too.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10831243/born-without-legs-and-lost-89-lbs/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/45770191#Comment_45770191

There’s another thread over in success stories by an older woman who lost 100+ pounds, but I can’t find it.

There’s a saying here that weight loss is made in the kitchen, and tons of users with fewer challenges have done well “in the kitchen”, without the exercise.

I found that simply losing the weight eased my own joint pain. It diminished with every pound lost.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    There’s also an amazing thread somewhere around here by a woman who had problems similar to yours. She had enough. She gritted her teeth and walked to the mailbox. The next day she said she added a fence post. A telephone pole the next. With each tiny addition she was able to go further, and was ultimately able to walk several miles a day, and lost a substantial amount of weight. Hers was one of the most joyous posts I ever read.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    It sounds like your exercise routine was a bit ambitious for starting out. Start where you are. You don't need to do anything that will wipe you out the next day. Many of us here have made that mistake though. You're not the only one. I will agree that getting familiar with how much you are eating (and what you are eating) will really help. Having a good food scale and making sure your entries are accurate is a great place to start.

Do you have access to a pool? You could walk or swim there. Or do a water fitness class. Other than that, maybe chair exercises or chair yoga.

Check out the links to inspiring stories above. On the days when you "don't feel like it," it's pretty motivating to read what results are gained by sticking to the plan. And you can always come back here for a pep talk. It takes some of us a long time to really figure this out. And some of us still don't get it right every day. Just do what you can today. Start where you are and make one good decision. Then make another. Build on that. Write them down if it helps you to see on paper what little changes you are making. As long as the "good decision" column is longer than the "not as good decision" column, you're making progress ;)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    I just wanted to give you some encouragement that every day you decide to try and keep going makes a huge difference in the long run. I couldn't walk this time last year. But I got a cane and started trying. I remember putting in 700 steps one day and being so exhausted and discouraged. I have RA, lupus, digenerative Disc disease, scoliosis, and SI joint dysfunction. Basically everything hurts and gravity is my nemesis. But I kept trying. And kept logging my food. Slowly but surely I have regained mobility. I have been averaging 9k steps a day and my goal is to keep moving and average 10 k steps a day. I have lost 42 pounds. It didn't happen over night. It happened one step at a time. I still have occasional days when I'm out of spoons and it feels like I just can't do anything. Today is actually one of those days because I over did it yesterday. But my mindset on these days is just... Try to do anything. I haven't gotten out of bed yet today because I'm really dreading those first moments when my feet hit the floor and my body screams at me. It's the hardest moment of every day. But I'll get my kids in here to hype me up and cheer me on, and my toddler has a diaper that needs to be changed, so I have motivation to overcome my first obstacle of the day. Find your motivation. You can do this. We can do this.

Can I send you a friend request? I would like as many fellow spoonies on my timeline as possible.
  • LynneM1980
    LynneM1980 Posts: 103 Member
    I have several disabilities as well, and I know chronic pain is no joke. I think you should be proud of yourself for putting yourself out there and trying!! You are certainly not a failure!!The way I am managing is by little steps, like Iwannabeapunkrockmom said. I seem to be building up to be able to do a little more, bit by bit. You've got this!!
  • Iwannabeapunkrockmom
    Iwannabeapunkrockmom Posts: 61 Member

Can I send you a friend request? I would like as many fellow spoonies on my timeline as possible.

Yes definitely!
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    I remember trying to walk before my 2019 surgery... it wasn't very doable so I lost weight without exercise by just eating less although it's not pleasant. I love the different options being thrown out on this thread and just wanted to say I really hope you get effective treatment for your back soon and you're not alone.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    I understand your pain. A couple of years ago I blew out all 4 of my lumbar IV discs. Neurosurgeon insisted on taking the "conservative surgery approach" and did microdiscectomies, that helped some, but the discs and vertebrae continued to degenerate. 4 surgeries and 2 years later I was worse then when he started.

Finally, in Feb 2021, when my right leg developed severe deficits and I couldn't walk at all without a walker, he decided to do what he should have done in the begining, and did a L1-S1 laminectomy and fusion. The post op pain and weakness was horrible and it was 3 months before I could do more than hobble around with a walker. Now I can walk a little bit with a cane, and have started physical therapy and exercise to gain some strength.

But walking still hurts and I have to be careful not to fall. I still have nerve damage in my right leg because they pissed around.

Sounds to me like you need to find a good neurosurgeon and get a MRI if you haven't done so, then decide if surgery will help. Don't pussyfoot around; usually aggressive surgery and rehab is needed for debilitating back pain.

Good luck.