Does anyone know about Thyroid levels?

Options
FiberousJ
FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
edited June 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently just had my thyroid tested, online. My T3 and T4 are right in the middle, like exactly. But my TSH seems a little low? It's a 1.21. But normal is 0.27-4.2 But I'm closer to the lower end of ''normal'' than right in the middle. Do you think that makes a difference? My family has had thyroid and always told me to get checked. But I've had it checked at least 5 times and the doctors always said it was fine.

But isn't 1.21 slightly low, even if it's normal? Do you know? Oh and I'm a male in my mid-30s.

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    Well, there’s low, and then there’s really low.

And it’s important to understand which is which and what it does. The TSH is “thyroid stimulating hormone” and you want it low. Not too low, of course. But a high TSH means your thyroid is struggling to make enough thyroid hormones.

Do you have any symptoms that suggest low thyroid? Besides weight, I mean. Because that’s definitely something to discuss with your doctor.
  • FiberousJ
    Options

And it’s important to understand which is which and what it does. The TSH is “thyroid stimulating hormone” and you want it low. Not too low, of course. But a high TSH means your thyroid is struggling to make enough thyroid hormones.

Do you have any symptoms that suggest low thyroid? Besides weight, I mean. Because that’s definitely something to discuss with your doctor.

Well, I guess mine is low, but not too low.

Symptoms are mostly hard to lose lots of weight.
  • abarefoot7
    abarefoot7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As said, low normal range TSH is fine as long as your T3/T4 levels are normal. TSH is made in the pituitary gland in order to stimulate the thyroid to make T3/T4,... so TSH tells the thyroid to go to work if there is not enough T3/4 and to stop if it is adequate. The TSH secretion is in response to needing more or less T3/T4. When starting weight loss it is always a good idea to get this checked out to make sure that the thyroid being hypoactive is not the cause of low energy/weight gain/difficulty loosing weight. From what you have said sounds like your thyroid is AOK.
  • FiberousJ
    Options
    abarefoot7 wrote: »
    As said, low normal range TSH is fine as long as your T3/T4 levels are normal. TSH is made in the pituitary gland in order to stimulate the thyroid to make T3/T4,... so TSH tells the thyroid to go to work if there is not enough T3/4 and to stop if it is adequate. The TSH secretion is in response to needing more or less T3/T4. When starting weight loss it is always a good idea to get this checked out to make sure that the thyroid being hypoactive is not the cause of low energy/weight gain/difficulty loosing weight. From what you have said sounds like your thyroid is AOK.

Yea, it seems like my thyroid is okay. I've had it tested several times in my life. I guess I have 2 weaknesses. I exercise a lot, but sometimes feeling like snacking on some carbs and patience. I try a lot of appetite suppressants like fiber. Works modestly. But sometimes I still feel like snacking, although the fiber supplements have almost completely stopped me from binging and eating super large meals.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    FiberousJ wrote: »

A thyroid condition doesn't make losing weight difficult for the reason you think it does.
    A thyroid condition can lead to water retention and constipation, masking weight loss
    It can lead to being tired and moving less
    It can lead to being tired and fidgetting less
    It can lead to being hungry and eating more
    It can lead to being unhappy and moving less and eating more.

Weight loss is all about being consistent, very patient and chosing a realistic weight loss goal. And being patient! Yes, I know I said that already, but it's so important! Weight loss doesn't happen in a week, or in 4 weeks. It takes months of dedication.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Your levels are perfectly fine.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Oh btw, a low TSH is usually indicative of HYPERthyroidism and a high TSH usually represents HYPOthyroidism. This is true in the majority of cases.
  • yirara
    Options
    and to add to this: In some countries a TSH above 3.5, or even 3 is considered to be high when also a low fT3 and fT4 are present.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    FiberousJ wrote: »

A thyroid condition doesn't make losing weight difficult for the reason you think it does.
    A thyroid condition can lead to water retention and constipation, masking weight loss
    It can lead to being tired and moving less
    It can lead to being tired and fidgetting less
    It can lead to being hungry and eating more
    It can lead to being unhappy and moving less and eating more.

Weight loss is all about being consistent, very patient and chosing a realistic weight loss goal. And being patient! Yes, I know I said that already, but it's so important! Weight loss doesn't happen in a week, or in 4 weeks. It takes months of dedication.

QFT.

I have no idea why someone flagged Yiyara's post as "abuse". It's just a list of facts, totally true.

I'm severely hypothyroid (but medicated). At first diagnosis 20 years ago, my TSH was 31. When I feel best, properly medicated, my TSH is at the bottom of, sometimes even a *tiny bit* below the normal range (my doctor is fine with that, in my very specific case, because I show zero symptoms of dangerous HYPERthyroidism when my TSH is a tiny bit low).

The list of things Yirara posted is exactly right. When I've needed a dosage adjustment in my meds, and before getting medicated, I observed many of those things in myself. To that list, I'd add that being severely HYPOthyroid (underactive thyroid, high TSH) makes me physically stiff and achy, literally makes it harder and less pleasant to be active.

Can hypothyroidism make it more difficult to lose weight? Yes, through the mechanisms Yirara listed. It's not some kind of magical doom outside the laws of physics.

Anyone who's actually hypothyroid, or wants to be well-informed about the condition should read this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

It was written by a (former?) MFPer who is a scientist in the field of hypothyroidism, himself hypothyroid, who lost weight by calorie counting. Good info.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I hit the limit and had to go on L-thyroxin. I just have to say that my doctor wasn't convinced until my TSH was very high (way out of bounds, like 8) for two tests taken a few months apart. I appreciate his method of not medicating until the data is as clear as possible. I think everyone needs to know that things are rarely perfectly obvious from your various blood markers, sadly. Someone has to have a good head on their shoulders, make reasonable decisions, and revisit as necessary.
  • yirara
    Options
    I hit the limit and had to go on L-thyroxin. I just have to say that my doctor wasn't convinced until my TSH was very high (way out of bounds, like 8) for two tests taken a few months apart. I appreciate his method of not medicating until the data is as clear as possible. I think everyone needs to know that things are rarely perfectly obvious from your various blood markers, sadly. Someone has to have a good head on their shoulders, make reasonable decisions, and revisit as necessary.

My experience is the opposite. I was not treated for years because doctors always went for a second test after the first. And then labs were normal. An endo explained to me that when a piece of thyroid tissue goes down the drain it released the stored hormones, temporarily normalizing bloods. While you're still sick. They should have tested antibodies right away and not years later as that way I would have ended on meds much earlier. And felt much better much earlier.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

My experience is the opposite. I was not treated for years because doctors always went for a second test after the first.

Well, that sucks, and I'm glad it got sorted out.

I think I can report a similar story. My friend who is an endo told me the problem is that TSH and TPO can go fairly high for a number of reasons unrelated to your thyroid function. This makes the docs check many times before they reach a conclusion. The fact that you are responding to L-thyrox could be the best evidence that you have a thyroid problem.

In my case, going on L-thyrox has NOT really made much difference. I'm as sleepy and lazy as ever! :p
  • yirara
    Options

My experience is the opposite. I was not treated for years because doctors always went for a second test after the first.

Well, that sucks, and I'm glad it got sorted out.

I think I can report a similar story. My friend who is an endo told me the problem is that TSH and TPO can go fairly high for a number of reasons unrelated to your thyroid function. This makes the docs check many times before they reach a conclusion. The fact that you are responding to L-thyrox could be the best evidence that you have a thyroid problem.

In my case, going on L-thyrox has NOT really made much difference. I'm as sleepy and lazy as ever! :p

LOL!
    For me, the difference was massive. I don't take a lot, still being on only 100-125mcg, but it works. And I do notice when the dosage is too low: brain absent, tired, and massive reflux. Well.. I don't immediately notice because my brains are so absent that I don't remember. I'd really need an app that asks me every day how tired I was, reflux, brains, etc... and when i answer too many of those too many times after another it would give me a recommendation to get my thyroid checked.

Actually, I thought of developing such an app. Users would need to input the questions themselves and give a sensitivity to each. Problem is: I'd first need to learn to programme such an app :D
  • yirara
    Options
    @medhakhanna471 please read here. A thread from just today.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options

My experience is the opposite. I was not treated for years because doctors always went for a second test after the first. And then labs were normal. An endo explained to me that when a piece of thyroid tissue goes down the drain it released the stored hormones, temporarily normalizing bloods. While you're still sick. They should have tested antibodies right away and not years later as that way I would have ended on meds much earlier. And felt much better much earlier.

Same. I had a dr 30 years ago who flat out refused to do anything about my thyroid levels until I’d gained over 50 lbs. Which really didn’t work out so well for me. Overall I gained probably 300 lbs from his stone age medical ideas. I lost some each time, but did eventually get to a bit over 300 before I was able to get a doctor to listen to me. And it took some serious crossing my arms and demanding a referral to an endocrinologist.

• SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I seriously wouldn't worry about it.

I've got an underactive thyroid, and at the point of diagnosis my TSH level was logged as >100. I'm just trying to give you an indication of how far out of the normal range it can go. You're in the normal range and have been repeatedly tested you said, so I think you've got nothing to worry about.