Serving size for food

I think the biggest challenge for me is knowing the proper serving size for food. For example, I thought the proper serving size for fruit is one cup for fresh fruit. Today, I ate 1 cup of grapes, but when I entered the amount in MFP I got a warning that it was high in sugar. I decided to check on the internet the proper serving size. I found conflicting information. Some sites said 1 cup and some sites said 1/2 cup. This is quite a difference. So how do I learn proper serving sizes when information available is conflicting? Also I travel a lot and eat a lot of ethnic foods. How can I find out the proper serving size/calories for these dishes? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    The proper serving size for weight loss is the one that fits into your calorie allowance. Really. if you have a medical condition and should reduce sugar then that's a different story. But overall, a serving size is not really something that exists outside the US. Generally, calories are given per 100gr, and you eat as much as you want or think you should eat. I find 'serving size' completely confusing tbh. It means nothing.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I think the biggest challenge for me is knowing the proper serving size for food. For example, I thought the proper serving size for fruit is one cup for fresh fruit. Today, I ate 1 cup of grapes, but when I entered the amount in MFP I got a warning that it was high in sugar. I decided to check on the internet the proper serving size. I found conflicting information. Some sites said 1 cup and some sites said 1/2 cup. This is quite a difference. So how do I learn proper serving sizes when information available is conflicting? Also I travel a lot and eat a lot of ethnic foods. How can I find out the proper serving size/calories for these dishes? Thanks for any help!

If you are tracking certain nutrients closely, you can heed these warnings, but for weight loss purposes you can disregard. I mostly find them mildly irritating whenever they pop up. Serving sizes are recommendations to help you get good nutrition; you don't have to use them as a tool if you don't want to.
  • megustaleer
    megustaleer Posts: 5 Member
    Here's the thing, I do want to use the serving sizes as a guide. It has helped me in the past when I realized that I can only eat a couple servings of carbs a day. That helped me lose 50 pounds. I just went to the dr and I'm healthy, but I need to lose another 10 pounds. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family so I am careful about sugar. Does no one have a reliable site that they use for serving sizes?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/add-color/fruits-and-vegetables-serving-sizes

Keep in mind that this is simply for measuring purposes...one's actual "proper" serving size is going to be very individual as per their own calorie requirements and nutritional needs as well as any dietary restrictions, etc. Fruit has sugar...it is primarily sugar...so yeah, you're going to get a "warning" that it's high in sugar...because fruit is high in sugar. Some are higher than others...things like grapes, bananas, etc are going to be higher in sugar than berries for example. I personally don't worry about sugar in fruits and vegetables. Generally, recommendations for sugar limits are for added sugars.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,578 Member
    In terms of the generic "2 & 5" serves, I can tell you the Australian government recognises a serve of fruit as 150g (which is roughly equivalent to 1 medium piece of fruit, or 2 small pieces of fruit, or a cup of chopped/canned fruit), and a serve of vegetables as 75g (which is roughly equivalent to 1/2 cup cooked vegetables/legumes, 1 medium potato, or 1 cup of salad). I assume other government guidelines would be somewhere in this ballpark.

However, as others have mentioned, this might not fit with your specific dietary needs. These guidelines can help you ensure you're getting a good variety of fruit & veg in your diet, but you should look at that in the context of the rest of your diet.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited June 2021
    Diabetes 2 runs in my family, too. I was told about 1/2 cup or the equivalent or 1/2 banana. Don’t know if that’s technically correct, but it’s what I go by to try to avoid diabetes. So far it’s working. 🤞 (or at least something is).
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Also, you can turn off the little messages like "this is high in sugar" or whatever, it's in the settings. On the Android app, tap the hamburger menu on the home screen, go to Settings > Diary Settings > uncheck "Show Diary Food Insights."

Ah, this is so helpful! Thanks for sharing! 😄
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    In the UK the official public health advice is that 1 serving of fruit or vegetables is about 80g which is what I use as my own yardstick when trying to cram as many servings in in a day as I can.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    MFP salt and sugar info is WAY off on most items I double check with labels and find more wrong on nutrition info than right even if the calorie amount is right.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    MFP salt and sugar info is WAY off on most items I double check with labels and find more wrong on nutrition info than right even if the calorie amount is right.

In my experience, many confuse salt and sodium values so the numbers are often wrong. Whereas sugar (and fiber) often simply seems to be missing. Check and recheck, so important!