• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Set up your profile and the app will do the calculation for you
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    What the lady with the strong legs said. Don't chose the highest weightloss goal as you only have 40lbs to lose. Go for 1lbs, maybe a bit less or more. Try what works for you. If you get only 1500 calories then your weekly loss rate is too big and you chose a smaller one.

edit: noticed you're a woman. Forget the 1500 and replace with 1200 instead. That's the lowest MFP will give you regardless of whether your goal is achievable or not. But
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    do not do 1200 that is extremely unhealthy. you will lose weight super fast but its very hard and you will prob give up bc its not enough food...you will still lose weight , just track your food for a week to see how much you currently eat, and then the next week, cut like 10% calories from there...
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Set up your profile here on MFP with your height, weight, age, and activity level based on your daily activity not including deliberate exercise. Then you can choose how quickly you want to lose weight. With only 40 lbs. to lose, 1 to 1.5 lbs. a week is probably appropriate. MFP will tell you how many calories you need to reach that goal. Then try to eat that many calories for the next month or more. As stated above, some people have a faster or slower metabolism, so you may need to adjust, but give yourself one full monthly cycle to see how you do. Weigh and measure everything you eat. Don't just estimate the amount as it is really easy to underestimate. If you are losing faster than you expected, eat a bit more. If you are losing slower, than eat a bit less. But try to get as close to goal as possible. Eating too little will leave you hungry, which leads to cheats, which can lead to deciding it isn't worth the effort. Slow loss is better than no loss.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    How old are you? What's your daily activity level (without intentional exercise)? What's your height?

Those are other pieces of information for anyone to even get close to telling you how many calories to shoot for per day.

You can use the guided set up in MFP to get a calorie goal. Choose to lose .5 or 1lb per week and then remember that the calorie goal is a GOAL, not a limit that you should stay under. MFP will put you at a deficit already -- -it will also add back in your cardiovascular exercise if you log it. So whatever calories you burn, it will add back to your daily goal. I'd suggest eating back somewhere between 50-100% of those calories but that's up to you.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I weight 222lbs
    I want to be at 180
    How many calories do I need to loose weight

Are you @nadinebanda3048 ? If so, you've already asked this a few times so I would recommend going back to the posts at the top of this forum on getting started and how to set up MFP.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,291 Member
    Options
    lillyy23 wrote: »
    do not do 1200 that is extremely unhealthy. you will lose weight super fast but its very hard and you will prob give up bc its not enough food...you will still lose weight , just track your food for a week to see how much you currently eat, and then the next week, cut like 10% calories from there...

Oh. Hey.
    Just popping in to say caloric needs vary.
    Yes, 1200 is too low for a typically active adult who is over 5’ 5”

But for someone who is physically disabled? Or someone who is very short?
    It’s fine.

You can’t really make a judgment that 1200 is too low when you don’t know the person’s stats. Just FYI.