Possible to Gain Muscle as a distance runner?

Options

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible! But would you want to gain any weight as a distance runner?!

To clarify, when I say distance running, I am referring to full marathon or longer. 5k - 21k are great achievements but these days not distance running.

In addition, who has the time & energy to train both in weights (for muscle mass gain) & running! I am prepping for my first marathon. My training schedule is 5 days per week for 16 weeks! with a long run every Sunday. Add in work and family and I am lucky if I can get 1 - 2 quick weight workouts per week. (Just so that I do not lose any muscle tone on my upper body).

I have also realized that once the long training runs get to the 15 mile range. I feel every ounce of weight on my body!

Depending on the race day experience. I will likely run more marathons. But during the training, very unlikely I will focus on anything but the distance and speed progression. Will leave strength (especially upper body) training for times when there is no long run on the horizon.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When the Zombies attack you may need upper body strength to get over the fence.... I would cut down on the super long runs maybe go for half marathons instead....You see some lifters running those while I've yet to see anyone my size run a full competitively (5-9 225lbs and yes I can run halfs) To each their own though.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options

To clarify, when I say distance running, I am referring to full marathon or longer. 5k - 21k are great achievements but these days not distance running.

Errrrm - if middle distance is 800-1500m in track, then I'm pretty sure 5-21k is distance running. If you look at elites in the 5,000 meter races...they are lean as hell and tiny. This discussion absolutely applies to shorter distances than the marathon.

Just saying.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Errrrm - if middle distance is 800-1500m in track, then I'm pretty sure 5-21k is distance running. If you look at elites in the 5,000 meter races...they are lean as hell and tiny. This discussion absolutely applies to shorter distances than the marathon.

Just saying.

Yeah, maybe 5k is not long distance in the world of marathons and ultramarathons, but for some people, this would be 40 min of running. Well in the realm of what counts as long, slow distance in the world of anabolic training. 21k is long by any standard. Ask any non-elite marathon runner whether 21k is something they could do without preparing for it.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

source:wikipedia.org
    Long-distance running, or endurance running, is a form of continuous running over distances of at least five kilometres (3.1 miles).
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Did not mean to sound like an *kitten*!

Was trying relate to the difference in training for half or less and full or more. I have (am) doing full training right after a half. Two entirely different commitments!

Poor choice of words. Apologies to any who were offended.

But my thought remains. Is there time & energy to work on muscle mass while training for marathon distances or longer? And, if training for a full or longer distance why try to gain any weight at all?

I will now go to my corner before annoying anyone else.
  • bumblebums
    Options

Was trying relate to the difference in training for half or less and full or more. I have (am) doing full training right after a half. Two entirely different commitments!

But my thought remains. Is there time & energy to work on muscle mass while training for marathon distances or longer? And, if training for a full or longer distance why try to gain any weight at all?

We weren't offended, we were just pointing out that you were wrong. It's so rare on the internet for someone to be wrong that it must be immediately corrected lest someone fall for misleading information.

duty_calls.png
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've got a question that I am looking to have answered.

Is it possible to gain muscle while doing long distance running?

I read this as "Is it possible to gain muscle while exercising?" The answer of course is yes. Running is an exercise. What's important for building muscle? Strength training and a surplus in your diet with a great amount of protein. You can still do this while running. There's no law of physics that says you can't.

How did this affect your running (speed and endurance)?

As everyone has stated already more weight will decrease your running performance even if 100% of this weight is muscle. It sounds like you're wanting a good mix of the two options. Find a good balance between weight and speed and stick with it. Endurance athletes aren't skinnier because they CAN'T gain muscle. They choose to not have excess muscle because it hurts their performance. There's nothing at all wrong with this approach.

Triathlon. "Why excel in a single sport when you can be mediocre in three?" Just apply the same logic to running/lifting and have fun.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options

No worries, Kyle. It wasn't offensive at all. Just wanted to point out that anything more than a couple KM is actually distance running and you wouldn't want to bulk up with muscle if you intend to compete at 5 km or 26.2 miles.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    The thing is...bulking up and building mass requires a ton of calorie intake. Not exactly what you want when you're trying to lose weight. That's why I'm lifting low volume (1-2 sets of 12 for each muscle group) and still running 5-10k here and there just to keep my calorie burn as high as it can be. So in that case yes, with the right nutrition and plan it's possible to build muscle and still run distance.

If you're asking about actually bulking up and making HUGE gains but still running distance, I'd agree with everyone here who says you basically have to choose.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

On the contrary. Anything 800m and above is considered "distance running" and requires quite a bit of aerobic conditioning. I concentrated on the mile and 5K this spring and early summer and still ran 50+ miles a week. If you don't consider that distance running, then I don't know what to tell you.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It will be nearly impossible to gain any appreciable amount of muscle as a long distance runner. Here is radio show interview on the subject of cardio and how it effects muscle building. http://www.rxmuscle.com/2013-01-11-01-57-36/muscle-college.html
    under episode 3.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Long-distance running, or endurance running, is a form of continuous running over distances of at least five kilometres (3.1 miles).

Meh. It's ok for people who have never ran to have any CLUE to know the difference between short distances and long distances.
  • GBPack93
    GBPack93 Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I just logged my food for the day and was over 2000k short of maintaining and I felt like I ate soo much. I'm going to try though since my main reason for wanting to gain is to get bigger and stronger. I'll just have to eat peanut butter with a shovel I guess.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I just logged my food for the day and was over 2000k short of maintaining and I felt like I ate soo much. I'm going to try though since my main reason for wanting to gain is to get bigger and stronger. I'll just have to eat peanut butter with a shovel I guess.

Read Starting Strength, and follow the program as written in the last chapter. It was designed for people your age. If you really want to get bigger and stronger first and foremost, this is the way to do it.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have heard mention of a study that looked at runners competing in an ultra-distance race which lasted many days. It found that they did not lose muscle in their upper bodies, but they did lose muscle mass in their legs during the period, presumably due to over training.

Short of these extreme conditions, I think that ensuring you have enough calories is the key.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Meh. It's ok for people who have never ran to have any CLUE to know the difference between short distances and long distances.

lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Just saying.

Yeah, maybe 5k is not long distance in the world of marathons and ultramarathons, but for some people, this would be 40 min of running. Well in the realm of what counts as long, slow distance in the world of anabolic training. 21k is long by any standard. Ask any non-elite marathon runner whether 21k is something they could do without preparing for it.

just because it takes a long time for less trained and conditioned people, doesn't make it a long distance event.

i know a 5k is a great goal for a lot of people, but to call it a long distance run is just ignorant. i think that a half-marathon is a short/middle distance race, especially now with long endurance races like Iron Man's and 50 and 100 mile ultramarathons being out there in the competitive world.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Just saying.

just because it takes a long time for less trained and conditioned people, doesn't make it a long distance event.

i know a 5k is a great goal for a lot of people, but to call it a long distance run is just ignorant. i think that a half-marathon is a short/middle distance race, especially now with long endurance races like Iron Man's and 50 and 100 mile ultramarathons being out there in the competitive world.

Sorry Captain, you're wrong. 5K is a distance event. Daniels Running Formula has plans for 800m to the marathon, all based on the same distance running principles.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Add to that, 21k is no mean feat, it is a half marathon, 13 miles, that is definitely a long distance run.