Do you have a functioning uterus?

Options
wunderkindking
wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
edited June 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I never start threads, but I see this come up a lot and wanted to be helpful.

Women talking about stalling for 3-4 weeks and calling it a plateau.

Your cycle impacts things, it really does. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, but hormones absolutely impact scale weight. I only show loss ONCE in a month, for a few days in a row and that's immediately after I start my period.

7Bi53P3FeSaH9phinxeyDD.jpg

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Me too! I drop rapidly, like 1-2 lbs per day, in the first couple days of my flow. Otherwise it's really rare to see any scale drops.

I think it's water retention.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Love that title!...don't have anything to add since mine is no longer functioning (when it did it blessed me with 3 children!)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I think I've said this in a couple places here already, but for those of us females who love data collection, I do highly recommend tracking cycles, because you can learn a LOT about how your body works (and even get heads-up about possible health issues). Like nutrition, there's several approaches that you can pick from, but in many cases just starting somewhere is enough. And of course certain methods have their fans who insist it's the only way, etc. :D

I've been tracking my cycles for a long time, but with joining MFP I've learned a lot more about how nutrition plays a part too and it's really fascinating stuff.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I think I've said this in a couple places here already, but for those of us females who love data collection, I do highly recommend tracking cycles, because you can learn a LOT about how your body works (and even get heads-up about possible health issues). Like nutrition, there's several approaches that you can pick from, but in many cases just starting somewhere is enough. And of course certain methods have their fans who insist it's the only way, etc. :D

I've been tracking my cycles for a long time, but with joining MFP I've learned a lot more about how nutrition plays a part too and it's really fascinating stuff.

I'll cosign this, too! I'm not as good about tracking this anymore since my Nexplanon stopped my periods (10/10 would recommend, I've had an excellent experience), but I can recommend the app Clue to track this kind of thing for anyone who wants to start collecting that data. It's not focused around trying to get pregnant like so many menstrual-tracking apps are and you can track SO MANY things with it.
  • penguinmama87
    Options

I'll cosign this, too! I'm not as good about tracking this anymore since my Nexplanon stopped my periods (10/10 would recommend, I've had an excellent experience), but I can recommend the app Clue to track this kind of thing for anyone who wants to start collecting that data. It's not focused around trying to get pregnant like so many menstrual-tracking apps are and you can track SO MANY things with it.

Yep, the one I use is called OvuView and you can use it for trying to conceive, trying to avoid pregnancy, or just general health tracking. Before I used an app I used paper charts and did the interpretive work myself, but it's really nice to have an app calculate it for you. When I have health appointments I can just export the data and print it (I actually did this once to adjust a due date because I knew the standard "40 weeks from start of last menstrual period" was not going to be a good due date - and then when that baby was still late from the new date and on the small side at birth, I was really glad I hadn't been subjected to an artificially early induction date because he clearly needed all that growing time!)

The idea that we might have slightly different calorie needs based on cycle time is really interesting to me. Women joke about hormone cravings and such, and perhaps even sometimes use them to justify excess, but I do think it's important for us to remember that our bodies are not static. Men's aren't static either, but it's definitely different and worth it to be aware of that.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Yep, the one I use is called OvuView and you can use it for trying to conceive, trying to avoid pregnancy, or just general health tracking. Before I used an app I used paper charts and did the interpretive work myself, but it's really nice to have an app calculate it for you. When I have health appointments I can just export the data and print it (I actually did this once to adjust a due date because I knew the standard "40 weeks from start of last menstrual period" was not going to be a good due date - and then when that baby was still late from the new date and on the small side at birth, I was really glad I hadn't been subjected to an artificially early induction date because he clearly needed all that growing time!)

The idea that we might have slightly different calorie needs based on cycle time is really interesting to me. Women joke about hormone cravings and such, and perhaps even sometimes use them to justify excess, but I do think it's important for us to remember that our bodies are not static. Men's aren't static either, but it's definitely different and worth it to be aware of that.

This is a big, big reason how I handle a deficit changed. For a while I was being pretty rigid with it but it got pretty awful as my weight approached normal. I now set cals at maintenance and find that over a week - and more so over a month - I keep a decent deficit but I am WAY more hungry - really, physically, hungry around my period.

Fighting that got old and a few hundred extra cals (up to maintenance) made a big difference.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Great thread title! I'm 54 and am so ready to stop having a functioning uterus :lol:

After weighing daily for a while I learned I gain weight at ovulation as well as premenstrually - sometimes as much as 6 pounds!
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I always seem to drop weight at the start of my "period" which I put in quotes because I'm on the pill, so it's not a real period. I never quite understand why this happens so regularly when I'm not actually ovulating or menstruating because of the birth control pills. But it happens every month.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    No, I do not, I had a hysterectomy at age 33.

Although I kept my ovaries at the time (I'm 57 and those aren't functioning either now!), I did notice a welcome decrease in PMS symptoms after the surgery and it rapidly became a non-event. There are hormone fluctuations tied to the buildup and shedding of the endometrium (progesterone?) and I obviously lost those along with the uterus.

I was not sorry to say good-bye to the two or three days of ridiculous PMS cravings.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I always seem to drop weight at the start of my "period" which I put in quotes because I'm on the pill, so it's not a real period. I never quite understand why this happens so regularly when I'm not actually ovulating or menstruating because of the birth control pills. But it happens every month.

This has been my experience also, and I too am curious about why it seems to happen like that.
  • penguinmama87
    Options

Could be a result of the drop in hormone levels that lead to lower water retention, perhaps? But that's purely conjecture on my part.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm so not reading this and I'm so not using it ever again. Over that crap. I do love the boys I got though so that was nice way back then.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    What's fun for me right now is wondering if I'm heading into perimenopause and figuring out if my bloat is food-related or hormone related! I do track it somewhat using my Fitbit app, which has been one way for me to know if the bloat was hormone related. Now that I've started becoming irregular, it's been harder for me to tell.

I could gain up to 5 pounds during ovulation, and actually seemed to gain more then during PMS.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You can have a functioning uterus and have an abnormal cycle...
  • penguinmama87
    Options
    You can have a functioning uterus and have an abnormal cycle...

Oh yes, and that's one reason tracking is useful, too - it can catch normal variations from cycle to cycle or find symptoms of underlying health problems.

My cycle has only just returned since my last pregnancy (I have an 11 month old.) It was perfectly normal and healthy that I wasn't having any cycles prior to this because that's body chemistry for you. And I'm pretty sure, thanks to tracking, that I'm actually still not ovulating at all - there are signs my body is trying to, but I'm probably still making enough prolactin that ovulation is very unlikely. Some of that can only be determined after the fact, though, or if I decide to buy some cheap ovulation tests to confirm, which I might do. But there's nothing "wrong" with me or my cycle, even though it's not presently acting the way I learned it would in health class (woefully inadequate, in hindsight.)