Stronglifts 5x5 - is this squat rack OK?

Options
DD265
DD265 Posts: 651 Member
edited June 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Wanting to get back into lifting and probably going to do the Stronglifts 5x5, having seen it recommended on here and doing some reading. I'm comfortable with the 5 lifts and know the proper form, but it's a couple of years since I did any lifting. Understand a rack will be used for squat and bench safety plus overhead press to save the cleans.

I have this squat rack at home: https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf415-squat-and-dip-rack-with-spotter-catchers.php

Reading the Stronglifts 5x5 web page about equipment, and watching a Youtube video about safety pins, I believe these are the 'spotter catchers' and it's simply a difference in terminology? Ergo, as they're adjustable, my rack should be OK for the job, at least to start with. There isn't space in the garage for a human spotter - my husband wouldn't be able to stand close enough to be useful.

I'm not sure a power rack is feasible at home but if that is the better option, I'll either get the tape measure out and/or find a gym. Would prefer to know now, before I spend money on a bench and fractional plates for home. Alternatively if there's a feeling for when one might prefer the additional support of a power rack based on others experience, that would help me make an informed decision.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It looks like a great rack!
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have this exact rack and it's been great! I use it for bench, squat, row, upright row, and SL deadlift; I use dumbells seated for overhead press for safety concerns. I've had the rack for over a year and have no complains. I close it after each workout and open it before each day. I marked the pin holes I use with painter's tape so I can easily find where I need to set them.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you can lower supports to heights for being used on bench press also - just became multi-use.

It appears already could be used for incline bench if you even went to that.

Power cage wouldn't provide much more than a feeling of stability perhaps, and a likely pull-up bar.

Set the bar height correctly for walk-in so there is no fumbling for where the catches are, going past them, ect.
    Tired after doing a set isn't the time for mess-ups on racking the bar, and this won't allow slamming the bar into the supports like a powercage could allow.
    I don't even like looking sideways when under load (doing high back squats), so a mirror is mighty useful to see where you are when coming back and not twisting head.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'll start hunting fractional plates and a bench.

Good point about the mirror @heybales, I will miss my PT correcting my form so will see if I can fit a mirror in somewhere. I have bumper plates and rubber matting, so worst case I just let go, but I don't expect to let myself get to that point. Never dropped the bar when I used to lift without a rack at all, except the few times it was done deliberately to get used to the idea. Can see how a power rack would allow one the confidence to push that limit a little further though so it might be an idea down the line.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    power rack and your selected one both have catches.
    Push away!

I've seen but not tried the 2 mirror setup when you have a semi-corner setup. It was simple closet door full length mirror on both walls, angled for correct side view.

I have more an issue favoring one side that is stronger, so I prefer the front mirror to confirm straight up and down, since by feel the stronger side can carry more and I start leaning to that side.
    But front to back feeling is pretty much feeling centered over feet, so I have no issue there.
    Video from the side when time to examine form.