I upped my calories 4 weeks ago....

and I've gained 5 pounds so far. I know that I'm doing the right thing by eating more...I do have more energy, and I feel great! I just wish that the scale would move just a little bit...but I know that this process takes time, and I'm in it for the long haul! :)

I lost 84 lbs. doing the low cal 1200 calories/day thing...but I came to a complete halt about 2 months ago. I knew that I couldn't lower my cals any more than I already had, so I started doing some research. That's when I came across this group! :) My BMR is 1560, with my TDEE at 2418, so my daily calories are around 1800. I guess what makes me unsure of these numbers is the choice in activity level. I have a desk job, but I work out 6 days a week (consisting of Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution for strength days and Turbo Fire for cardio), burning between 300-500 calories in each workout (sometimes more than that if I choose a longer Turbo Fire workout on cardio days). I used the Scooby Calculator, and right now, my exercise level is set to 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise. Does this sound about right?

Basically, I'm hoping to hear from some people who have initially gained weight by upping their calories...did you ever start losing again? Any advice or pointers? Thanks!!

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    I lost around 6lbs by upping my calories but have stalled again for the past 3 weeks. I may lower them a bit and see what happens but I think I may up them a bit more too just to see. It's hard to overcome a plateau sometimes.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Make sure you are also taking measurements and photos along the way! I went through about a six month period of no losses on the scale, but dropped a full size, lost inches and plenty o' fat during that time.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Do you eyeball portions or do you use a food scale? If it's the former, it is possible you're taking in more calories than you are accounting for. If you have been using a food scale, maybe drop your cals to 1700 to see if the scale moves again.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Sometimes it takes a little longer to get your system back on track.

From all that I have read and experienced, doing 1200 calories or less (especially if you are very active) will damage your metabolism. If you did this for many years (like I have done) it may take a couple months for your metabolism to repair itself now that you are eating correctly. Have a bit more patience, and make sure you are measuring your food, watching sodium intake (this will often times make you retain water if it is too high), and stay hydrated with plenty of water.

I have been doing TDEE-20% for 3 months, and lost initially, then gained, and gained, then I found out there were other underlying issues (gluten allergy). If after another month you are not seeing any other changes, you may want to talk with your Dr if you haven't already.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I lost 84 lbs. doing the low cal 1200 calories/day thing...but I came to a complete halt about 2 months ago. I knew that I couldn't lower my cals any more than I already had, so I started doing some research. That's when I came across this group! :) My BMR is 1560, with my TDEE at 2418, so my daily calories are around 1800. I guess what makes me unsure of these numbers is the choice in activity level. I have a desk job, but I work out 6 days a week (consisting of Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution for strength days and Turbo Fire for cardio), burning between 300-500 calories in each workout (sometimes more than that if I choose a longer Turbo Fire workout on cardio days). I used the Scooby Calculator, and right now, my exercise level is set to 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise. Does this sound about right?

I would take a rest week and just do light cardio, walking, and eat at TDEE. Then go back to a 15% cut and resume your regular workouts. Your body probably just needs a little more adjustment period, and eating at TDEE and taking a break from the exercise may break the plateau.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

I would take a rest week and just do light cardio, walking, and eat at TDEE. Then go back to a 15% cut and resume your regular workouts. Your body probably just needs a little more adjustment period, and eating at TDEE and taking a break from the exercise may break the plateau.

This!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    I see a lot of people mess up by adding activity in their sedentary lifestyle. If you work a desk job select a sedentary lifestyle. Then only count your exercise on the day you exercise and add that to your calorie goal daily. You can double log your activity if you go above the sedentary setting. I eat back some of my calories but never all of them I like having a safety margin. I am not losing fast I am losing consistently and I do calorie cycling never eating the same number of calories for too many days in a row. Good luck I have my fingers cross you will get the scale moving soon. Like you I am here for life.
  • FitFLNana
    FitFLNana Posts: 11 Member
    I am very interested to see responses as well. I lost 40 lbs doing 1200 cal - and have been maintaining for over 6 months now at around 1500-1600. Recently found the road map as well and have been calculating TDEE should be around 1750 - so it makes no sense to me. If that is true - I should still be losing weight at 1500. I started eating 1700 a day for one week - and gained 2 lbs!
  • Mindylee143
    Mindylee143 Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks so much, y'all! There are some really good ideas in here...the rest week and eating at TDEE sounds good, but I haven't taken that much time off of exercise in over a year! So that may be a bit scary, but I know that I need to do something to break through this plateau! :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Do you eyeball portions or do you use a food scale? If it's the former, it is possible you're taking in more calories than you are accounting for. If you have been using a food scale, maybe drop your cals to 1700 to see if the scale moves again.

This. If you don't have a food scale, get one!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I am very interested to see responses as well. I lost 40 lbs doing 1200 cal - and have been maintaining for over 6 months now at around 1500-1600. Recently found the road map as well and have been calculating TDEE should be around 1750 - so it makes no sense to me. If that is true - I should still be losing weight at 1500. I started eating 1700 a day for one week - and gained 2 lbs!
    Totally normal - you have to give it a good 4-6 weeks when upping cals and give the body time to adjust. My absolute best success has been since switching to the TDEE method over a year ago. If you've entered your info and calculated your numbers correctly, and accurately log the food, it should work. Is it an exact method? Nope, so if after 4-6 weeks you are gaining or maintaining rather than losing, then you adjust cals down 100 or so and go from there.

But being well-fueled, having plenty of energy for exercise and life in general, and losing fat while NOT being hungry all the time - pure awesomeness. I'm in this for life. :bigsmile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I see a lot of people mess up by adding activity in their sedentary lifestyle. If you work a desk job select a sedentary lifestyle. Then only count your exercise on the day you exercise and add that to your calorie goal daily. You can double log your activity if you go above the sedentary setting. I eat back some of my calories but never all of them I like having a safety margin. I am not losing fast I am losing consistently and I do calorie cycling never eating the same number of calories for too many days in a row. Good luck I have my fingers cross you will get the scale moving soon. Like you I am here for life.

She is using a TDEE - % goal, not an MFP goal + exercise. Her TDEE would include all her activity including exercise.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member

If this was a real weight gain, that week you must have been eating 3500x2=7000 above the 1200 you ate every day previously. The 2lbs is just your body adjusting. I also gained when I started TDEE but since then I have been losing both weight and inches and frequently I overeat close to the actual TDEE and still lose.