Runners - Miles on sneakers

Options
2»

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I replace mine when ether my toes are sticking out or there is no rubber left on the bottom. My last pair got 2800 miles before I retired them.
    yeah, now that i can understand!
    other than that, just get a pair of new foam insoles = $2

Except that does nothing to help with support, for those who need it.
    I should have added that my feew don't need any support. I only need enough shoe to protect the bottom of my feet from rocks and other stuff on the pavement.

For anyone who replaces shoes to get more cushion, most of the cushioning in the shoe is gone far before you reach even 100 miles. That doesn't really matter though because that doesn't change the impact forces in your legs one bit. The body is smart and automatically adjusts for running surface, including the cushion under your feet. Impact forces to your body are the same whether you run with marshmellow shoes or completely barefoot.

Is cushion different than support? To me, people want cushion to aleviate imapct, support to control/correct pronation issues.
    By cushion I mean the ability of the sole to compress beneath the feet with each step. Studies have shown that it doesn't really alleviate impact because the body adjusts to keep the impact fairly constant. If you put a big cushion under the feet the leg just steps down harder to find the ground. With less, or compressed, cushion the leg just steps lighter. Either way the impact is about the same. It does however protect the feet from stuff like rocks on the ground. In my opinion, as long as there is enough sole left to protect the feet from the hazards of the running surface there is no good reason to replace the shoe.

Support is the other stuff they build into shoes to correct pronation. Since I don't use those types of shoes I really don't know how long those support structures last.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've heard 500 miles since I was in High School and not much has changed. Though because of my weight, I tend to replace mine every 300 miles
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I replace mine when ether my toes are sticking out or there is no rubber left on the bottom. My last pair got 2800 miles before I retired them.
    yeah, now that i can understand!
    other than that, just get a pair of new foam insoles = $2

Except that does nothing to help with support, for those who need it.
    I should have added that my feew don't need any support. I only need enough shoe to protect the bottom of my feet from rocks and other stuff on the pavement.

For anyone who replaces shoes to get more cushion, most of the cushioning in the shoe is gone far before you reach even 100 miles. That doesn't really matter though because that doesn't change the impact forces in your legs one bit. The body is smart and automatically adjusts for running surface, including the cushion under your feet. Impact forces to your body are the same whether you run with marshmellow shoes or completely barefoot.

Is cushion different than support? To me, people want cushion to aleviate imapct, support to control/correct pronation issues.
    By cushion I mean the ability of the sole to compress beneath the feet with each step. Studies have shown that it doesn't really alleviate impact because the body adjusts to keep the impact fairly constant. If you put a big cushion under the feet the leg just steps down harder to find the ground. With less, or compressed, cushion the leg just steps lighter. Either way the impact is about the same. It does however protect the feet from stuff like rocks on the ground. In my opinion, as long as there is enough sole left to protect the feet from the hazards of the running surface there is no good reason to replace the shoe.

Support is the other stuff they build into shoes to correct pronation. Since I don't use those types of shoes I really don't know how long those support structures last.

ok. I agree about the cushion... I wasn't sure if support was rolled into your previous comment about being gone in the first 100 miles.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I can feel it in my lower back, usually happens around 700+ miles

Often shin splints are from overuse. Have you recently increased your training volume?
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yes, get some new shoes
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Bump :happy:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the shoe. I wear "performance" shoes - they're lighter for racing (despite me being slow, hey, I wear them because they're prettier LOL). Because of that, they wear out sooner. I replace them at about 350 miles.

I just wore my newly retired ones on the 3Day 60 mile walk for breast cancer. That probably put them at around 420 miles. They are TOAST. I wore them to workout with my trainer Saturday (not cardio) and was sliding all over the place LOL. A shame really, given they look brand new from the top view!
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    im not sure about "the body adjusting" for cushioning or a hard running surface. Why are we always told not to run on the pavement, it causes shin splints? or why do they make a shock absorbing treadmill?
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I can feel it in my lower back, usually happens around 700+ miles

Often shin splints are from overuse. Have you recently increased your training volume?

"Yes", I didn't think much about it but I went from 3 miles to 4/5 miles. Then after reading everyone's post I also realized I'd gone form crushed stone to pavement/sidewalks. So I'm cutting back for a while to see if the shin splints go away.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everybody's input!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    im not sure about "the body adjusting" for cushioning or a hard running surface. Why are we always told not to run on the pavement, it causes shin splints? or why do they make a shock absorbing treadmill?

For people who don't want to ease into running, or don't want to bother how to "stride" correctly. And because why should we have to learn to do things correctly, take care of our bodies, etc when we can buy something to fix it for us.

Learning to run correctly has taken a minute of my average mile pace and has completely fixed my lower back issues. Now I can run anywhere, pretty much whenever, in shoes I love. I'm not limited by anything but my own time.