Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why won’t some people use diabetic maintenance meds?

Options

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    NO T2D meds! Zip. Zero. None.

They are ALL tricks or force (insulin) to get / make your liver and muscles take in more glucose.

I'm an internal medicine physician. TODAY I advise against ALL T2D meds. T2D is reversed by DIET and good SLEEP. I try and get my patients to get rid of their meds. If they can. It's not easy. Patients don't realize that their IR (insulin resistance) is KILLING them SLOWLY. Meds just mask the problem.

When I ate the SAD diet and did "no pain no gain exercise" I was overweight (highest BMI = 29.5) and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2005 (highest A1c = 6.7). Same thing with my patients. Fatter and sicker taking more and more meds. My T2D meds WERE Metformin and Victoza. I also took 3 meds for blood pressure. one med for high cholesterol, and one med for inflamed prostate.

Then I REDISCOVERED Atkins. Since following a HEALTHY (i.e. real food) Atkins diet my T2D is reversed (A1c + 5.1) and I'm at my ideal (HS graduation) weight (BMI = 23.5). I no longer NEED or TAKE those SEVEN medications.

My husband’s T2D was caused by exposure to a defoliant, not lack of exercise or poor diet.

I am not sure how this advice would help him. I don’t think it would.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have not seen those posts, but I am guessing, besides from side effects and cost, it is a desire not to be dependent on medication. Or, like people who don’t finish antibiotics because they feel better. They may be in denial of the illness. I am just guessing. Here is an article on medication adherence

https://medcitynews.com/2021/08/the-behavioral-economic-challenges-of-medication-adherence/

I take metformin and do experience gi distress. My dr lowered the dosage which helps. I just was taken off of januvia. I would love to be able to control it by diet alone. I just don’t see that happening. Never thought of not taking my meds.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    NO T2D meds! Zip. Zero. None.

They are ALL tricks or force (insulin) to get / make your liver and muscles take in more glucose.

I'm an internal medicine physician. TODAY I advise against ALL T2D meds. T2D is reversed by DIET and good SLEEP. I try and get my patients to get rid of their meds. If they can. It's not easy. Patients don't realize that their IR (insulin resistance) is KILLING them SLOWLY. Meds just mask the problem.

When I ate the SAD diet and did "no pain no gain exercise" I was overweight (highest BMI = 29.5) and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2005 (highest A1c = 6.7). Same thing with my patients. Fatter and sicker taking more and more meds. My T2D meds WERE Metformin and Victoza. I also took 3 meds for blood pressure. one med for high cholesterol, and one med for inflamed prostate.

Then I REDISCOVERED Atkins. Since following a HEALTHY (i.e. real food) Atkins diet my T2D is reversed (A1c + 5.1) and I'm at my ideal (HS graduation) weight (BMI = 23.5). I no longer NEED or TAKE those SEVEN medications.

I don’t believe you are a physician because no physician worth anything would give this dangerous and horrible advice! None of the doctors I work with would endorse this message and we see diabetic patients daily.

Totally agree.

also anyone can say "I am a physician" - like we have seen many posts on this forum saying " I am a scientist" followed by extremely unscientific claims

Yes, weight reduction, if one is over weight, can reduce some people's need for type 2 diabetic meds and BP meds, sometimes to less than before, sometimes to nil.

They are still diabetic though - just now diet controlled.

and in the meantime or if that is not successful, it is still important to reduce blood sugars - carrying high blood sugars leads to complications and is not something to leave untreated

I see diabetic patients regularly too, working in a medical practice - yes, I know I could just be saying that too- but national guidelines of all countries support what I am saying.

True! No one is saying don’t make lifestyle changes. His advise is downright dangerous and irresponsible. It goes against the standard of care and all accepted guidelines too.
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The Atkins diet has been proven to cause heart disease.

To be fair I think it’s been shown to increase risk. Not cause heart disease directly.

But I’m interested in any peer reviewed articles that show a solid link. Or show there isn’t a link. Either way.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet has been proven to cause heart disease.

What proof is that?
  • autobahn66
    autobahn66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "There are loads of folk with T2DM with absolutely no pancreatic function left: how is diet going to fix them when they cannot produce insulin?"

or in the private healthcare sector where I work.

So it's a charlatan then?

Also you lost a fraction of your diabetes there Dr DM1.5...

What a joke.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    autobahn66 wrote: »

In my practice this T1.5D patient will be immediately referred to another physician; either in the "free" socialized medical system or in the private healthcare sector where I work.

So it's a charlatan then?

And you are missing half a diabetes there Dr DM1.5...

What a joke.

To be fair, there are many causes of diabetes.

DM1.5 is a real thing.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-1-diabetes/expert-answers/lada-diabetes/faq-20057880