What’s best?

Options
amioc
amioc Posts: 175 Member
I want to start upping my protein and I’ve been looking at different shakes.
What do you all think is best whey or plant based? Also I want something that’s filling and tastes nice. I’m in the uk so ideally something I can buy hear.
I’d really appreciate any help/advice you can give me 🙂

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Whey-based protein is generally going to be more protein-dense (more grams of protein for a given amount of calories), but since you're looking at "shakes" (which means the manufacturer has added in their own idiosyncratic mix of other ingredients in varying amounts), you're really going to have to look at labels.

"Tasting nice" is a personal thing. What tastes nice to one person may not taste nice to another.

Personally, I don't buy shakes. I make my own shakes or smoothies, using plain whey-based or plant-based protein powders or partially defatted peanut meal, adding whatever flavors I'm in the mood for (generally fresh or frozen fruit, plain cocoa powder) and thickeners (frozen fruit, especially bananas help here, plus fresh or frozen avocado and yogurt) and dairy or nondairy milk to achieve the right final consistency. I generally do it for a high-protein alternative to a lean meat and eggs breakfast, or as a justifiable indulgence after a heavy workout. Not an everyday thing for me, as most days I'm satisfied with my protein intake.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I use a no carb, unsweetened whey protein to supplement so I can doctor it up how I want. I generally drink it in some macadamia nut milk, but without the “extras” in it, it allows me to do all kinds of things with it from making a thick almost frozen yogurt textured dessert to adding it to a dinner recipe.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan nor vegetarian (anymore) but milk products and I don't get along. So vegan protein it is.

I'd suggest a blended, unsweetened option (with different vegan sources of protein).

That way, you can then doctor up the flavours to your liking and consider them for baking or other meal prep.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Protein supplements are an experiment in progress. It can take decades for the consequences of food products to show up because the digestive system is so resilient. Certainly persons with a medical need to supplement protein in the face of legitimate dietary restrictions, should consider them, but this whole movement reminds me of that miracle product, margarine, which didn't turn out so well.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    Options
    Protein supplements are an experiment in progress. It can take decades for the consequences of food products to show up because the digestive system is so resilient. Certainly persons with a medical need to supplement protein in the face of legitimate dietary restrictions, should consider them, but this whole movement reminds me of that miracle product, margarine, which didn't turn out so well.

I missed the bulletin. What’s wrong with margarine?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My "best" is naked whey protein from the Protein Works. I'm absolutely fine with milk products - not much of an experiment for a mammal to conduct.... :wink:

It's sweetened with Stevia instead of sucralose (which I dislike), good flavours and mixes well. Good protein to calorie ratio.

They are in the UK and are a bit like DFS - there's always a special deal on so don't pay full price.

Maybe worth getting some samples to see what is your "best"? It's disappointing to buy a big tub and find you hate it (yes Holland & Barrett, I'm talking about you).
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    amioc wrote: »
    I want to start upping my protein and I’ve been looking at different shakes.
    What do you all think is best whey or plant based? Also I want something that’s filling and tastes nice. I’m in the uk so ideally something I can buy hear.
    I’d really appreciate any help/advice you can give me 🙂

One trick I use is to mix a protein shake that I like (currently Glucerna Creamy Strawberry Carb Control) with two or three cans of sparkling water.

No, it won’t fill you up like a meal. But it tastes close enough to an egg cream*, and is delightful on a hot day.

*a soda fountain drink made with milk, flavored syrup, and seltzer water. It originated in the late 1800’s among Yiddish-speaking Eastern European Jewish immigrants in New York City. And was a favorite treat in my mother’s Brooklyn childhood.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Plant based for me. I get acne outbreaks and less long term reduced hunger from the alternative. I use low calorie almond milk to make it less calories too. It's a matter of preference taste wise and digestive system difference.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    From a muscle building perspective, whey > plant based with all things being equal. Whey has less calories. From a flavor perspective, i generally find whey to be a better texture compared to plant based one. But you have to experiment.

Brands i like PEScience, Kaged Muscle, Quest Nutrition, and Optimum Nutrition.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I have tried a lot of proteins over the years and plant protein is definately my choice.. My go to is Sunwarrior. I also use Plant Fusion, Nutrex plant and few others- natural pea protein in green drinks, hemp protein, sunflower protein and pumpkin. Combination plant proteins are best because they have all the essential amino acids.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Whey protein gave me horrible constipation and stomach pain so I go with plant based which tends to have more fiber.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    I usually don't repeat myself because it is irritating. but, you folks have to know that diarrhea constipation, headaches flatulence, nutrition challenges requiring lots of pills etc. are signals which should be interpreted as a warning that dietary supplements instead of actual food are a potential problem. Just eat less of a balanced diet, plant based or not and everything will be fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I usually don't repeat myself because it is irritating. but, you folks have to know that diarrhea constipation, headaches flatulence, nutrition challenges requiring lots of pills etc. are signals which should be interpreted as a warning that dietary supplements instead of actual food are a potential problem. Just eat less of a balanced diet, plant based or not and everything will be fine.

After a couple of weeks, possibly. *Manageable* differences in digestive symptoms (mild change in texture of stool, flatulence) are typical signs of digestive system adaptation, and may resolve fairly quickly. That kind of adaptation happens to people increasing fiber from negligible levels (via food) to recommended levels, sometimes, for example, and not because "fiber is a problem". Sudden huge dietary changes are riskier in that way than a gradual phase-in of new foods/supplements, where phase-in is possible. And for sure, some people are sensitive or allergic to actual whole foods, as well. Bad symptoms are bad, food or supplement.

I'd also agree - subjectively speaking - that getting nutrients from food is a preferable strategy where practical, vs. turning to extractive-type supplements. Lots of people do fine with such supplements, though, it seems, and find them valuable as well as digestively tolerable. I don't feel like everyone must adopt my "preferably food" approach.

That said, there's always:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I'm vegetarian, food gets me to 1g per lb LBM daily and usually over. (That goal is also an opinion, not a "fact"). I don't enjoy protein shakes, so I don't eat them. They seem to make lots of people happy, though. 🤷‍♀️
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options

One of my biggest problems is that I tend to not eat enough. So your advice absolutely does not work for everyone.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Bulk Powders and their Pure Isolate 90 - I’m not saying it’s fantastic tasting, but it’s one of the more affordable on the market, can order varieties online (direct or from Amazon) and it’s one of the few which doesn’t upset my stomach. I stick to plain old chocolate or vanilla.
  • wilson10102018
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Are there remote places where real food is not available but powdered supplements are?