Is a scale like this RENPHO BMI etc. scale worth getting?

Options
I've only ever used a regular scale, and never had my BMI properly checked. As I get closer to my target weight, I was wondering if I should upgrade to something like this, so I can better track progress rather than only looking at weight. This rechargeable scale costs a bit more than the battery version, and I think I'd prefer this one.

If it matters, I'm over 6 feet, male, just over 200 pounds, and hopefully a decent amount of that is muscle. I just want to drop another 10 or so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NK8LBPC/?coliid=I1U94LJYE6PTO3&colid=23S8XOCN0HKB0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It was recommended in this Jeremy Ethier video. He says don't necessarily expect a scale to be accurate for body composition metrics, however it should be helpful for tracking weekly changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkb_3zwVz38

Replies

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    So, I purchased this exact scale from Amazon before really reading the reviews. I quickly noticed what others were saying that as your weight fluctuates, the other measurements like body fat seem to follow the same trend. They speculate it’s more based on a formula than an actual measurement. After a few days, I went back to my old scale and now I have a scale I need to try to sell at a garage sale lol.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It doesn't actually measure all those things it claims!
    The body composition part is an assumption from measuring your electrical resistance and unless there are also hand sensors it's only sending a small voltage through the lower half of your body. How would that capture upper body composition changes?

I've used half body BIA devices (hands only or feet only) and always found them useless - absolutely comical numbers.
    But I have also used hand AND foot sensor models (domestic and commercial) and found them reasonable. But only for a general trend (monthly rather than weekly) used under very consistent conditions and having to ignore weird and wonderful odd readings most likely caused by hydration changes.

With your stats and description honestly I'd think tape measurements, mirror and progress photos would work better. If someone has a lot of fat to lose inaccurate/inconsistent tracking can give an idea of progress but if you are close to desired physique then the changes are too subtle for such devices to be trusted.
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have it. As above, take the other measurements with a pinch of salt but I like that it syncs to the app. I weigh daily as it helps me get over the shock of an increase :)

They also do a smart tape measure which looks interesting !
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass on it, and stick with my regular scale and maybe add in tape measure like the video suggested, and sijomial here.

I'm down about 60 pounds, figure maybe 10 more to go, been strength training the whole time, and as is typical of males that extra weight is around my stomach area.
    sijomial wrote: »
    It doesn't actually measure all those things it claims!
    The body composition part is an assumption from measuring your electrical resistance and unless there are also hand sensors it's only sending a small voltage through the lower half of your body. How would that capture upper body composition changes?

I've used half body BIA devices (hands only or feet only) and always found them useless - absolutely comical numbers.
    But I have also used hand AND foot sensor models (domestic and commercial) and found them reasonable. But only for a general trend (monthly rather than weekly) used under very consistent conditions and having to ignore weird and wonderful odd readings most likely caused by hydration changes.

With your stats and description honestly I'd think tape measurements, mirror and progress photos would work better. If someone has a lot of fat to lose inaccurate/inconsistent tracking can give an idea of progress but if you are close to desired physique then the changes are too subtle for such devices to be trusted.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    I got my Renpho scale about the same time I joined MFP and got my Apple Watch. All three have been helpful to me.

I like that Renpho syncs with MFP and it seems pretty accurate.

I was told early on by other MFP users that no scale that measures body, water, bone, visceral etc is accurate, and that includes those little gizmos you hold like handlebars at the gym. Supposedly the only accurate measurement is a Dexa scan and I believe one other method.

BMI however is accurate since BMI is a simple calculations via a combination of weight and height, and you enter your height in during setup.