Low carb/keto..confused??

Options
ChelzFit
ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
Everywhere I go I see keto or low carb. I have maintained my weight for years with calories in verse calories out. I will admit many of these keto products look tasty but the calories, wow! I feel like I might as well get a DQ blizzard for the amount of calories some keto ice creams have. Also I am at a loss for understanding how I add the carb/fat/protein up on a particular product (say a quest bar) and the amount I’m getting is way higher then what is listed on the product. I know it has something to do with fiber or sugars but isn’t a calorie still a calorie? I feel like if I ate most of these foods based off what the label says I would be way over my calorie amount-I’ve always stuck with adding the 4 grams for carb/protein and 9 grams for fat and calling it good. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,116 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    In the US, fiber is counted as carbs, even though fiber has 0 calories or 2 calories per gram (depending on soluble or insoluble).
    Sugar alcohols (polyols) are also considered carbs and can be used to add sweetness, but they contain fewer calories per gram than sugar.
    So that explains why the calories could be lower than you expect.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If CICO has helped you maintain thus far, why rock the boat?

As someone who often does Keto, i agree with this. The most successful people tend to be people who create long term sustainable habits.

OP, there is no point in doing Keto if you put a lot of emphasis on "keto" products. The problem is, as you notice, they are just calorie bombs. And while the products don't count calories associated with fiber, there are people who can extract calories from fiber. So they often misrepresent the calories.

But in general, you want carbs around 20-50g, protein around .7-1g/lb of your goal weight and the rest fats. You also need sodium around 3500-5000mg. Your focus should be on whole foods with the occasionally "keto" treat.
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    "Keto" does work, but it is also another "diet" out there. The principals are sound but also somewhat misguided. Eating a jar of mayonnaise every day, may be Keto, but that doesn't make it right. I have done keto hard core but at this point the biggest principals of it I continue to use. Low to No added sugars. I don't care what people say, added sugar is the DEVIL! :o). Also processed foods like Doritos etc... you need to stay away from. I now use a combo of calories and carb consciousness to sustain my diet. That, along with exercise, always works.

Like my momma always told me...Everything in moderation.
  • crackon20
    crackon20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tried CICO and i tracked my food on MFP. I did not lose any weight. My Dr. Advised eliminating/reducing things made with flour, bread, rice, pasta, sugar, less dairy, etc. Modified paleo. I am eating the same calories, but now i am losing weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why even concern yourself with this if what you're doing isn't broke. If it's not broke, there's no need to fix it.