Hiiiii

Options
My name is Manuel most people call me junior. Trying to get back into shape. I work as a hot shot driver since 07 and have gained tons of weight. Youd expect someone whit lots of cardio daily be fit but no... fast food ruined that. I'm at around 350lbs 6" 2. Trying to get down to at least 260. Lets see what I can accomplish. Any input will help thanks

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    give this in a lot of noobie threads for people that show up here and want to lose weight.:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    give this in a lot of noobie threads for people that show up here and want to lose weight.:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Alllllllllllllllllllllll this.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

QFT! GOOD LUCK!! Plz ask for help if you need it! We all try to give advice with the best intentions, though most of us will not sugar coat it for you. Cold hard truth or nothing! :P
  • driftfx1
    Options
    Believe me I won't starve myself. Going to just start eating less. I've cut out sodas only water no fast food and lots of fruits veggies for lunch. I'm feeling way better already. But you know that's just a start. Also some walking but I wanna control my eating before actual working out.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Believe me I won't starve myself. Going to just start eating less. I've cut out sodas only water no fast food and lots of fruits veggies for lunch. I'm feeling way better already. But you know that's just a start. Also some walking but I wanna control my eating before actual working out.
    that's the best approach, honestly. count/log/keep it accurate.. that's reallllly all anyone needs to do to lose weight. Good luck, dude.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

That's an awesome start. Keep walking. Keep at it. Dedication!!!
  • driftfx1
    Options
    Btw what scale are you guys using I need to go buy one. My wife is also on here she's all into working out. Beeen doing beacbody programs and drjnking shakeO I'm not a fan of neither of those gonna show her my own approach.
  • jasonalvear
    jasonalvear Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Btw what scale are you guys using I need to go buy one. My wife is also on here she's all into working out. Beeen doing beacbody programs and drjnking shakeO I'm not a fan of neither of those gonna show her my own approach.

This is the one I am using, cheap and accurate. Honestly, measuring out my food, while to some may seem hardcore, has really helped me.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Weigh-Scales-Kitchen-Bowl-Scale/17294573
  • driftfx1
    Options
    Oh I meant body weight scale lol. Ya I'm not going that extreme cops might come to my house think I'm weighing something else lol
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Oh I meant body weight scale lol. Ya I'm not going that extreme cops might come to my house think I'm weighing something else lol
    dude. no. go that extreme. estimates are only that. you're only shorting yourself if you're guessing.

It's worth it. If you're going to eat a chicken breast, for example.... they can vary greatly in size. Don't go by the "well, it's almost the size of a deck of cards" stuff. 100g of chicken is 165 calories, 150g is 248 cal... but eyeballing is gonna give you that much of a variance. it isn't extreme. it's just a good habit.

I weigh everything. Peanut butter, for example. A typical serving size is 2 tbsp or 30g. 2 tbsps =/= 30g. Same for cottage cheese. 1/2 cup doesn't always equal 113g... but the nutrition information is based on the gram measurements. It's just going to be more accurate.
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

Beyond ridiculously accurate but seriously tho, get a kitchen scale, measure and weigh everything... we are gluttens by nature and have no real idea what a "portion" is food choices and portion control is IMO 90% of weight loss.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Oh, man! I wish someone would have slapped me with all that great information when I first joined MFP! Instead it took me months to figure it all out for myself.

OP, good luck to you! It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options

^^THIS. A million times, THIS.