Hoping for a new & improved me.

Options
So that I'm not redundant, you may read my profile introduction. I'm the weird one of MFP, everything I do is for wellness as my 62nd birthday is around the corner. I've always had endocrine/auto immune problems. Post COVID Encephalitis has amplified everything. PLUS, 6 mos in a reclining position has left me weak. My fitness routine is kinda "granny", but hey, I have to start somewhere right? I hope to make friends from all ages. Just don't freak when you see my food diary. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but for me, it's going to keep me healthy and alive!!

Hugs
Patti

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Hi, Patti! Looks like you've been on MFP for a while: Welcome to the Community forum part of MFP, since this looks like your first post here.

I'm sorry to hear you've been going through so much! I don't think you need to be concerned about your fitness routine being "granny": For all of us, I think the sweet spot exercise-wise is to find things that are reasonably enjoyable, and just a small manageable bit of a challenge in order to move fitness along at a steady but injury-avoiding pace.

Me, I'm 65, and as I've aged, managing exercise carefully to make progress, but avoid overdoing or injury, has become a bigger deal. I like being active, but I know that if I overdo, need an extended break, I lose fitness faster than I used to at age 20 (!), and it takes longer to regain it, too. For me, the best course is a steady one, as much as possible. It's been a while now, but I started from a really physically depleted place when I was first becoming active, too: Had just finished a full course of cancer treatment for locally advanced (stage III) breast cancer, then diagnosed as hypothyroid . . . I felt really weak, fatigued, and just wanted to avoid feeling defeated as part of that list. Starting with manageable things, and building up slowly, was really helpful.

All any of us can do is start where we are, try to move the ball down the field. Whatever that process looks like for an individual, that's a great thing, IMO.

I'm wondering if you've checked out this thread, where there are a lot of friendly people our age:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

Note that like all threads that have been going for a while, the newer posts are on the later (higher numbered) pages, so don't worry if you look in there and the first pages are older posts - it's still very active.

Wishing you success with your goals!
  • PSMeeker
    PSMeeker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I signed up with this app years ago, but never really used it. So...My new start date was 5/31/2021. It's helping ALOT. Bless you for your words of wisdom. You experienced so much more than myself, I cannot imagine hypo & cancer treatment. Looks like you found your new and improved YOU...and I will too!!