Is it true people who lose weight have a much lower metabolism

Options
I read somewhere that weight loss causes our metabolic rate to slow down so much so that it is a factor for why people regain the weight they lose. Is this true?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    You're welcome, you might also want to go to the subforum "Maintaining weight" and read in there...especially the "Most Helpful Posts" section.

Forum: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/goal-maintaining-weight

Most Helpful posts: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300324/most-helpful-posts-goal-maintaining-weight-must-reads#latest
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside 👍

I figure from a few months to one to two years after major weight loss for things to settle towards a normal. And it depends on how long and how large a deficit, frequency of refeeds, degree of leanness, and... the individual

Some adaptation plus hormonally driven increased hunger post loss? Enough research showing hints to say: Sure!

Enough to guarantee failure? Not so.

Enough for us to respect the immediate aftermath of weight loss and plan for it? You better believe it!
  • luisanapa
    luisanapa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A 'normal' but reduced calorie intake will not have much, if any, effect on metabolism, but SEVERE calorie restriction CAN lower metabolism and it can cause other problems, including fatigue and eventually weakened bones. Depending on your build, age, etc., it's recommended you not go below 1200-ish per day.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calorie-restriction-risks
    Having said that, one day of missing meals won't affect your body (unless you have some underlying health problem). Note that fasting for rapid weight loss should only be done under medical supervision and typically movement is minimal during the fasting period. If you're interested in going that route, there's a fabulous (and surprisingly affordable) clinic: True North Health Clinic in Santa Rosa CA that has supervised water or juice fasting programs and/or vegan diets + food/nutrition education. [I'm not affiliated w/ them, but went for a week about 10 yrs ago and thought it was great.]
    https://www.healthpromoting.com/
    Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    Tezzzz2020 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for responding and clarifying this. I was a bit confused and have been trying to understand why I cant maintain my weight loss and read somewhere that metabolism becoming chronically low was a possible factor.

@cmriverside thank you for sharing these articles, I will have a read through and try to break the yoyo weight loss cycle. Also, I need to reframe my mindset and accept that weight loss is half the battle, and that maintenance is the second half, that takes conscious effort and time. :smiley:

I won't say this applies to you, but from my own past experience, and watching people around me pursue weight loss, there are a few things that are common patterns that IMO can make regain more likely:

1. Treating weight loss as a project with an end date, after which things "go back to normal". IMO, for anyone who's been overweight for some time, weight management is a long term, maybe permanent, part of life.

2. *Not* experimenting, finding and firmly grooving in - at least toward the end of weight loss - the *habits* it will take to happily stay at a healthy weight long term (this is related to #1, but not identical). IMO it's ideal to accomplish this "new habits" thing before the end of loss, so that going to maintenance is a simple matter of adding a few calories to an easy-to-sustain, nearly automatic daily routine, in order to stabilize body weight. Ideally, the habits established will include how to handle vacations, holidays, parties, much-loved treats, etc. They will also include finding a reasonably enjoyable exercise/activity routine (which may be minimal actual exercise, if that's what a person handles best, even though exercise is a boon for health).

3. Desperately pursuing maximum, very fast weight loss all along the way. I think implications of the adaptive thermogenesis & diet breaks threads are that pushing maximum willpower and fast loss all the way to the end is that any adaptive thermogenesis that occurs will be more extreme; that hormonal hunger/appetite snap-back may be exaggerated; that possibly unnecessarily much muscle loss will have occurred alongside fatigue related reduction of daily life activity becoming habitual, so that moving more in daily life is harder, less fun, and less likely, thus decreasing TDEE. Very aggressive loss also makes it more probable IMO that item #2 will not have been accomplished along the way.

I think that if you lose at a sensibly moderate weight, focus on finding new sustainable habits, maintenance success becomes more achievable. Just my opinion, though - from year 5+ maintaining a healthy weight after previous decades of obesity. Riverside's been at it even longer, though.