Question for a new maintainer re: calories.

Options
2»

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people on MFP forget that while it is highly possible to count calories very precisely and be just fine, there are entire swaths of people who should NOT count calories precisely or long term because it trips them right over the line into eating disorder territory. Some people who have had eating disorders, some people who have just plain OCD or certain types of other bad relationships with food that never quite cross over.

MFP is just a tool and is neutral but people DO need to be aware that as 'just a tool' it can be harmful for some people and helpful for some people and that the personalization thing Ann mentions is vitally important into making danged good and sure you stay on the right side of that health line MENTALLY as well as physically.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,299 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people on MFP forget that while it is highly possible to count calories very precisely and be just fine, there are entire swaths of people who should NOT count calories precisely or long term because it trips them right over the line into eating disorder territory. Some people who have had eating disorders, some people who have just plain OCD or certain types of other bad relationships with food that never quite cross over.

MFP is just a tool and is neutral but people DO need to be aware that as 'just a tool' it can be harmful for some people and helpful for some people and that the personalization thing Ann mentions is vitally important into making danged good and sure you stay on the right side of that health line MENTALLY as well as physically.

Yes, indeedy. That realization that others' heads don't necessarily work the way our own heads do: Useful insight, good to operationalize into our relating to others, if possible - though not always easy. IMO only, of course. 😉

Bringing this tangent back to the OP: I hope you're getting some ideas about the alternative approaches others have taken to transition, and why they took them. Further, I hope that some of these notions, or a personal hybrid of several, will resonate and work well for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    When I was in maintenance I gradually increased. But I also knew that my maintenance calories are WAY lower than any chart ever thinks they should be. With the lower weight, wasn't certain where it would land. When I lose this remaining weight, I'll have to do it the same way. its just my weird body having to be atypical.

for most, It boils down to personal preference.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    NVintage wrote: »
    What is with the disagrees!? I am starting to think 90% of people on here have eating disorders. As long as you are at a healthy weight, which for me is 135, there is really no reason to count calories or log food as long as you don't have some sort of health problem that requires it. I do use MFP as a mealplanner and like that it automatically shows if I go over in fat and calories. I have it set to 1500, but sometimes eat 3-400 over my plan and have yet to gain any weight. I am 5'1.5. I do weigh myself at the same time most mornings just to make sure I maintain my weight loss.
    NVintage wrote: »
    Personally, when I am at my ideal weight I just try to eat healthy and don't count calories at all. I keep a check on my weight, though, and if it starts going past 140 I start watching the calories more.

Don't know why the disagrees other than maybe from people who haven't been successful maintaining their weight loss when trying to do that. I actually only sort of spot/half-butt track on MFP to be honest. I want to move toward eating more intuitively simply bc I don't want to be tied to an app.

If it works it works. I do the same as you --- I'd get more cognizant of it if the scale started creeping up consistently or my clothes started getting a bit tight.