Aspartame

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sigh ---- try doing a bit more thorough research and don't immediately believe the first article you come across
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Are we still having this conversation?? Please do you own research on aspartame before posting this junk. Aspartame is one of the most highly studied and scrutinized food additives known to man and no scientifically sound study (and there are literally hundreds) has ever found a link between aspartame and any major human maladies. If you eat chicken, eggs, tomatoes, nuts, fish, etc then you are consuming the metabolites of aspartame in MUCH high doses than you'll find in diet soda.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Are we still having this conversation?? Please do you own research on aspartame before posting this junk. Aspartame is one of the most highly studied and scrutinized food additives known to man and no scientifically sound study (and there are literally hundreds) has ever found a link between aspartame and any major human maladies. If you eat chicken, eggs, tomatoes, nuts, fish, etc then you are consuming the metabolites of aspartame in MUCH high doses than you'll find in diet soda.
    THANK YOU! I've been averaging 6 cans of diet soda per day for the past 10 years and I don't see my head falling off.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! I've been averaging 6 cans of diet soda per day for the past 10 years and I don't see my head falling off.

Me and sugar free ice cream and cranberry juice. I am still alive......I think!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Me and sugar free ice cream and cranberry juice. I am still alive......I think!

Yep I'm with you guys drink 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi a day for the last 20+ years and am still alive... The amount of aspartame you would have to consume before it becomes a health issue is astronomical so no not buying into the fear mongering..... Best of Luck OP
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is a pair of amino acids held together by a methyl ester bond. In the body, aspartame quickly gets broken down into two amino acids.

There is nothing wrong with aspartame. There is no biologically plausible mechanism for it to do anything bad, and study after study has utterly failed to establish any harmful effects.
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I can no longer feel guilty tearing open those little blue packets to sweeten things! :bigsmile:
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,348 Member
    Options
    I gave up all soda for 2023. It worked out and now I don't have to stress over it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I kept drinking similar amounts of soda in 2023 as I have in previous years and I don't stress about it either.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Any "Lovett or Leave It" listeners catch Jon Lovett's reaction to the new WHO classification of aspartame?

Aspartame hazard and risk assessment results released

14 July 2023 Joint News Release

Assessments of the health impacts of the non-sugar sweetener aspartame are released today by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA). Citing “limited evidence” for carcinogenicity in humans, IARC classified aspartame as possibly carcinogenic to humans (IARC Group 2B) and JECFA reaffirmed the acceptable daily intake of 40 mg/kg body weight.

Read more: https://www.who.int/news/item/14-07-2023-aspartame-hazard-and-risk-assessment-results-released