How I learned to LOVE the elliptical

Options
draz1974
draz1974 Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
I wanted to share my story on how I went from detesting the elliptical to absolutely loving it.

I never liked the elliptical because after a few seconds my legs burned and I would stop, it was embarrassing so I opted NOT to use it in order to save face.

I convinced my co-worker to start joining me at the gym so it certainly has helped to have a gym buddy, I find I'm a little braver when it comes to using new equipment. SHE HAS BEEN A BLESSING! I wouldn't have stuck around as long as I have if it wasn't for her.

One day she suggested the elliptical 😯 I told her I didn't like it because I couldn't do very much so she dropped it. The next day she brought it up again and I thought it was only fair to do something SHE enjoyed otherwise she may decide I'm too bossy and doesn't like me as a gym partner, so I said FINE! We both got on it and we both died at 20 seconds. That was pretty humiliating!

The next day she brought it up again so I suggested setting goals. I suggested a goal of ONE MINUTE, I said it loud so others wouldn't be surprised when we got off the machine at one minute. We get on, we go for a whole minute.
Day 2: We set a goal of 2 minutes
Day 3: 3 Minutes
Day 4: 5 Minutes
Day 5: 8 Minutes
Day 6: 10 Minutes
I stopped counting after day 6 but we are now 2 weeks in and up to 30 minutes. I noticed it got easier each day. I think setting goals and taking baby steps really helped. After day 4 I couldn't wait to get on the elliptical because I knew I could burn calories quickly. I make it a point to get to the gym EARLIER than her so I can get an extra few minutes on the elliptical 😂 since we start with strength training then move on to cardio.

We will now apply the same technique to the stairs, I hope we can adjust to those as quickly as we did to the elliptical.

I wanted to share this in case others out there dread the elliptical. 20 seconds in and dying is pretty embarrassing but it gets better each day. Don't be intimidated by the burning, your body quickly catches on.

In just 2 weeks, I find I can maneuver myself in bed much easier and climbing steps is a tad bit easier too.

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Your post made me smile, because the first time I tried the elliptical I hated it too! So much that I didn't try it again for several weeks. :D
    I don't love it (at least not yet), but once I got the hang of it I realized it does get easier with time.
    Sometimes it's good to give things a second chance. :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I second your comments
    We bought an elliptical at home - Endurance by Body Solid - I was not afraid, but only did the hill for 20 minutes
    Then I moved up to 45, 60 and sometimes 75 minutes.
    I was too afraid to try the other programs like Mountain, Interval Training, Speed Training, Random, Interval
    One day I decided to hell with it I am going to try and tackle these other programs which I did
    My biggest fear was Mountain, but now I love Mountain out of all the other programs, even my safety Hill which was my favorite
    I try and mix it up and do 25 minutes Hill and 35 Minutes Mountain to make the time go faster.
    We have a TV in front of the elliptical and I signed up for youtube@$11.99 per month, after getting rid of my cable@$202+ per month (best decision we made)
    So welcome to the elliptical and I knew exactly how you felt
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Can I ask which settings you used? a preset profile? manual @ what speed? etc.

This is a great imspiration and I may try it. Thanks.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    We have a TV in front of the elliptical and I signed up for youtube@$11.99 per month, after getting rid of my cable@$202+ per month (best decision we made)

Check out Prowalk Tours on You Tube. Paris, Venice, Italy, the pyramids in Egypt. Almost like you’re right there.
  • socajam
    Options

Check out Prowalk Tours on You Tube. Paris, Venice, Italy, the pyramids in Egypt. Almost like you’re right there.

Thank you I will
  • socajam
    Options
    Can I ask which settings you used? a preset profile? manual @ what speed? etc.

This is a great imspiration and I may try it. Thanks.

Not sure if this is for me
    Our highest setting is 20 and for the longest I thought there is no way I could see myself achieving the highest setting - I had to work my way up to that level
    When I do Mountain I start off at 8 and work my way up to 20, but this depends on the preset profile
    But I can do 20 now quite easily from when I first started
    What I find is that if I take say a week off, it is hard, but after a day or so, I am back to where I left off
  • socajam
    Options

Just looked at this one - Positano Evening Walk - June 2021 - Amalfi Coast - also subscribed - thanks
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    I was a runner in my school days, so a couple decades later when I wanted to rejoin the gym I naturally started with running. However, the years and pounds conspired to make every joint hurt.

Years into my maintenance I tried the elliptical for the first time, and haven't stopped kicking myself for not having done so earlier. I can push myself to get nearly the same calorie burn as when I was running, but my breathing is easier, my heart rate is lower (in "the zone" rather than dangerously high) and most importantly, my joints don't hurt at all after.