Work break room

nossmf
nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
Does your workplace have a break room, and more importantly, does anybody ever actually USE the room? Here we have a room with a foosball table and a recliner in front of a television with satellite programming, but I don't know if anybody ever takes advantage of these entertainments. If you're physically present, you're expected to be at your desk. Now, everybody will take some time out of their day to gab to the other people sitting nearby, so we're not quite worker drones not having any social interaction while at work, but I seriously question why the management bothers with anything in the breakroom besides the community fridge and a couple microwaves to reheat lunch.

Replies

• OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    I work at multiple locations and I’ve only really used one of them because they have two big massage chairs. Other than that I try to find a place away from people for my breaks which isn’t the break room.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I’m my own personal break room.

.... only without the foosball table.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    What's a break room? :)

I'm in a small office but only ever had kitchens with all the kitcheny stuff in other jobs.

I would so just be falling asleep in a recliner!
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    I am W@H now, so my break room is my drive through shower in the master bedroom. Room for 8 but unfortunately only been me in there lately.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Pre-COVID, we had a really nice break room/kitchen area with comfy couches, tables and chairs, free snacks and drinks, gourmet coffee machine, tea station, TVs, etc. In the morning, there was a hot oatmeal station (real stuff, not instant oats).

People would gather for lunch here, or have small meetings at other times of the day. It's a nice, bright, sunny room...much cheerier than our offices, cubicles, or meeting rooms.

Post-COVID, they have removed all the couches and larger tables. They left only spaced-out small tables with one chair each, so you can sit by yourself and eat lunch. The food and drinks are all gone, except for some water bottles. Thank God the coffee machine is still there.

Hopefully, at some point it is restored to how it was previously, because it really was a nice perk.
  • glassyo
    Pre-COVID, we had a really nice break room/kitchen area with comfy couches, tables and chairs, free snacks and drinks, gourmet coffee machine, tea station, TVs, etc. In the morning, there was a hot oatmeal station (real stuff, not instant oats).

People would gather for lunch here, or have small meetings at other times of the day. It's a nice, bright, sunny room...much cheerier than our offices, cubicles, or meeting rooms.

Post-COVID, they have removed all the couches and larger tables. They left only spaced-out small tables with one chair each, so you can sit by yourself and eat lunch. The food and drinks are all gone, except for some water bottles. Thank God the coffee machine is still there.

Hopefully, at some point it is restored to how it was previously, because it really was a nice perk.

This might be the saddest story I've ever read.
  • Motorsheen
    glassyo wrote: »

I can think of a couple of stories that might be sadder than the dismantling of an office break-room, but then again, that's just me.
  • glassyo
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

I can think of a couple of stories that might be sadder than the dismantling of an office break-room, but then again, that's just me.

That's not the only reason it was sad. :p
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Other than that I try to find a place away from people for my breaks which isn’t the break room.

This.

We have a lunch room with long tables and chairs, plus a couch and a TV. The crew that uses it has commandeered the TV and watch soap operas at lunch. No thanks. Since Covid it's been off limits except for using the fridge or microwave.

There are sink/mini fridge/coffee stations on each floor and that's all I use.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    ... drive through shower in the master bedroom. Room for 8 ...

Heaven have mercy! I barely have room for myself in my shower, let alone when my wife joins me so I can shampoo her hair. Does it have multiple water nozzles?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    We have a break room, but no entertainment...just tables and chairs, refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, etc.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Our break room has this Arabian nights theme with gold curtains, satin throw pillows arranged into a makeshift bed, and a candle set from Ross. Who says the suggestion box doesn't work :wink:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    We have a main "lounge" which used to have commercial coffee pots, snack, and soda machines, tables and chairs, microwaves, 2 fridges. Coffee pots and machines have been empty this year. Each wing also had their own work/break room, usually consisting of restroom, printer, phone, microwave, fridge, table and chairs, sometimes couch or large chair. We only use them for lunch or quick printing needs. If you're at work, you're at work, not hanging out in the break room.
  • Motorsheen

Some break rooms are better than others........

1tllEDp.jpg