pulling in everywhere but stomach?

Options
Iv been doing kickboxing which they say works your whole body and I'm noticing I'm pulling in everything but my stomach... I thought you worked your ab muscles in kickboxing? Do I need to do additional crunches on the side to lose in my stomach? I'm so confused...

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The body will burn fat from whatever part of the body it wants to, with the midsection usually being the last. You can do 10,000 crunches a day, but if there is fat in a different area that the body wants to use up instead of the midsection, it will.

A smaller midsection comes from overall reduction in BF%.

It takes caloric deficit, work (cardio+combination lifts), and patience.
  • Jenelle64
    Options
    I can relate. My midsection is the one spot I wish I could make go away first but it's the last place to lose the body fat for me. You are strengthening your abs doing kick boxing but until the your overall body fat reduces, you may not be able to see those strong abs.

Dont get discouraged, as you lose, the midsection will shrink as well and all your hard work will show through. Your losing and gaining muscle so just keep it up and you'll be very pleased when you reach your goal.
  • jigfoot
    jigfoot Posts: 39
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The body will burn fat from whatever part of the body it wants to, with the midsection usually being the last. You can do 10,000 crunches a day, but if there is fat in a different area that the body wants to use up instead of the midsection, it will.

that is the best explanation I've heard so far.....I completely understand now....so just gotta keep it up and perservere and we'll get there!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I am in the same boat! It is very discouraging!! My biceps are coming thru nicely and even my shoulders are shaping nicely. BUT, its the dang midsection, from about my bra area down to my upper thighs! It sucks but, I know if I keep pushing and just keep going, it will eventually go away.

OF COURSE, extra crunches wouldn't hurt...but it wont help it leave any faster! LOL!! It just means you'll have a six pack under some insulation! :-)

We'll get there! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i feel with you! ive lost INCHES off my thighs, which is great, but i want inches off my gut! its frustrating, hang in there :)
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    On men, stomach and chest fat is the last and hardest spots to reduce. Keep eating at deficit and continue the cardio kickboxing.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

Thanks for this...:flowerforyou:
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation, I'm in the best shape of my life so far and my stomach is the last to lose. My arms and my legs are so toned, but my belly still jiggles. I'm 5'3" and 121 lbs and I figured with the weight lifting and doing Tap Out, I would have a flat stomach by now (165 lbs was my highest and I had a pretty round belly). Just be consistent and patient and the results will come :-)
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Are you sure? Do you take your measurements? My belly has always been my worst area. When I started losing inches, my lower belly was getting smaller but actually looked worse, because my waist and upper stomach area lost more inches first! Hang in there!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat but not giving up! Just be patient and hopefully it'll slim down soon.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was feeling this way a few weeks ago. I've lost weight and dropped almost two sizes in the past few months, but my stomach still looks roughly the same to me. When I started, my waist was my second largest measurement, but my body is primarily losing fat from my legs, butt, and chest. However, clothes don't lie and this past weekend, I was able to put on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn in a year. That would not have been possible if my stomach was not getting smaller as well. It confirmed my realization that my stomach *is* getting smaller, but it's just not optically apparent because the rest of my body is shrinking too.

I have a lot of body fat to lose and I've just accepted that my stomach is going to be the last thing to go. It's frustrating, but no one can control what fat stores the body uses first.
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have lost 4 inches on my stomach but it still looks like it sticks out b/c I've lost inches everywhere else too. I imagine once I get to my goal weight I will still have a belly unless I really try to reduce my bf%.