Opions about food in database

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
Recently we were looking to go to Village Inn. I know that they have a Health Start menu so I thought I'd do some investigating on here to see what people were logging as the calories for these items since exact numbers aren't provided by the company.

What I found thoroughly confuses me and I don't know if there is a right answer to which is right.

The Fruit n Nut Multigrain pancakes caught my eye. I see three entries for them:

1. A single multigrain pancake is logged as 50 calories.
2. Fruit 'n Nut Multigrain pancakes with no syrup is 490 calories
-now I could see this being true if #1 is true. The menu states you get 3 pancakes, topped with pecans and strawberries I believe
3.There's an entry for the meal being 793 calories. That's a huge difference from the other 490. Would it be safe to assume this entry is including the butter and syrup that usually accompanies their pancakes?

I know pancakes probably aren't the best option anyways, where they have veggie omelets and such, but it's what sounded good. I just wondered what anyone's thoughts were on this.

*edited to add: Wow it must be a Friday, I can't even spell opinion right in my title. Forgive me.

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I usually double check to see if what my information is matches or is close to what is on the DB.

In this case, they could have had juice, butter, syrup, coffee....etc.....

I'd always check though, if you could...
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    MFP is user generated information, so if it doesn't seem right, do your own research or you will definitely undermine your own efforts. I tend to enter my own foods based on packaging it came in, or using other websites to double check information. I don't think people intentionally are trying to mislead the rest of us; I just think some don't have a very clear understanding of the system or of nutritional portions and values. MFP is a great website and I have found success here, but with that said, I am not necessarily trusting every food entry in the database and am suggesting that you don't either without some personal research.
  • JensLogin
    JensLogin Posts: 74
    Options
    I have noticed some odd information in the database. I try to double check all the information either on the labels themselves,or many restaurants have the nutritional information available. I know in my state it is required by law for them to have all of the nutritional information available for what is on their menu. If not, there are many sites out on the internet you can use to double check as well.

Since people can add directly to the database you are relying on them to input the information accurately. It's a bit scary.... but at least we can verify if it doesn't seem right!

Good luck and have the pancakes!
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    I belive (but could be wrong since I haven't ordered this in a long time) that the Fruit N Nut Multigrain Pancake Meal comes with 2 eggs.

Edited because I can't spell :)
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    IF YOU EVER DOUBT....sorry for caps...if you ever doubt, research and then enter....i find that almost any and every place that you can eat at will provide nutrional info if you contact them or email them..
  • utes09
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. If we end up going I will look into calling them. If anything ever comes with eggs I always pay the extra and get egg beaters anyways.
  • utes09
    Options
    So I emailed the address given on their website about the calorie content of the Fruit n Nut pancakes. This was their response:

The Fruit & Nut Multigrain Pancakes have 930 calories, 5 grams of saturated fat, 1170 mg of sodium and 186 grams of total carbohydrates. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Looks like I will NOT be getting the pancakes anytime soon. Considering I can't split them with my husband due to a severe nut allergy.