Favorite Quick Food

Options
Mandi98U
Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
What’s everyone’s favorite quick food to take to work for lunches and snacks. I’m allergic to fish and don’t eat cottage cheese but other than that I’m open to ideas.

Replies

• fitstrongfitlove
    fitstrongfitlove Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I make either quick oats or a smoothie. about 300 calories each, depending on what you add

quick oats: pre-prepped in a jar or quick cooked in microwave: oats, berries 70g, cinnamon, peanut butter powder, sometimes yogurt (nonfat greek) sometimes greens (can't taste them, extra fiber) sometimes soy milk, usually water

smoothie: greens 50-70g, sunwarrior collagen powder, peanut powder, maybe cacao powder, berries or bananas 70 g.--yuummmm. water or soymilk (minimum here is 25g protein)
  • Hilisa4
    Hilisa4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I like boiled eggs, avocado, hummus with carrots or cucumbers, low carb wraps filled with lettuce, meat or hummus, with a yogurt dill dressing, or a Walden Farms dressing; soups—such as Imagine creamy tomato or super greens—blueberries, banana, yogurt. If I want crunchy I take cauliflower crackers, and if sweet I grab an Atkins Carmel nut chew.
    I hope this gave you a few ideas.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Meal prep is a great thing! I make some kind of salad with some protein, veggies, and sometimes a grain (like quinoa or gluten-free pasta) and a homemade dressing.

My work day isn't long enough to need a snack, but if it was, I'd probably take some nuts and fruit, plain greek yogurt with some fruit and maybe a drizzle of honey, or some dry-roasted edamame.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I send my boyfriend with barbecue pulled pork wraps. I cook the pork in a slow cooker with beer and onions, then pull it and defat it, and freeze it in bags. I can warm one of the small bags up quickly in the microwave and mix it with his sugar-free BBQ sauce, then wrap it in a large tortilla.
  • onepebble
    onepebble Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Scrambled eggs or omelette- so fast to cook and it’s easy to add veggies to bump up the volume and goodness.
    My favourites would be scrambled eggs with spinach and feta, or omelette with left over roast veg.
    Edited: oops, I missed the “take to work” request - I’m stuck at home in covid lockdown this week, so work is at home.

For work lunches it’s pretty much the same, but I’d wrap the eggs in a tortilla or wrap, and make frittata with leftover veg instead of omelette.
    Or my other easy work lunch is half a cup of cooked rice, kaleslaw from the supermarket and half a can of Sirena chilli tuna. It’s easy to make ahead and keeps happily in the fridge until I need them.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Steak Salad

Stubb's beef marinade/ grilled steak
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
    4 cups mixed lettuces
    1 medium ripe Bosc pear, thinly sliced
    ¼ cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
    ¼ cup sugar glazed walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
    Raspberry Vinaigrette
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Mandi98U wrote: »
    . . .to take to work for lunches and snacks. . . .

I think most people missed your question. Do you have a microwave at work or are you eating out of a bag. It matters. And, do you have refrigeration?

I really like a mix of chicken and egg salad. I get a rotisserie chicken and pull off all the clear meat (no skin, connective tissue or bones) and get three meals for $5. Add a few chopped hard boiled eggs, celery, and the smallest amount of mayo possible, add some favorite carb like nut thins, popcorn cakes or pita and there you have it.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Breakfast wraps are super easy and can be made in advance. I like the sundried tomato low calorie wraps with scrambled eggs and some pico de gallo.

For snacks, I have been bringing mini rice cakes, dried fruits, smashmallows, protein bars and olives. I like buying the single serve cups of olives, but you could save money buy making your own in a ziplock bag. I also know olives aren't everyone's favorite, but I enjoy them. :)
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    For me it's Blue Diamond nut thins + protein such as prosciutto, tuna, uncured pastrami, uncured corned beef or even the dreaded cottage cheese. Sometimes I add olives, a vegetable/salad and/or fruit.

Others might prefer different crackers or bread instead of the nut thins with different proteins but I try to stay mostly gluten free for anti-inflammation reasons and can't stand the rice cakes.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Turkey wraps and salads are my go to.

Turkey wrap take me 5 min to make and I wrap up in tin foil. Turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion, spices, brown mustard and pickle.

I prep salads for the week on the weekend in to go containers. I use iceberg/romaine and omit watery stuff in them like tomato to avoid soggy salads. They stay fresh for the entire week. I usually use a salad mix of romaine and add chopped carrots, zucchini, cucumber, radish. Takes about 10 mins to prep 5 of them I just cut all the veggies at once and put on the bottom of the container then add the lettuce mix. Then every day I just have to make a wrap and grab a salad container. I also have little containers I pour my own dressing into for the week.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    If you have a kettle and a fridge in the office instant ramen (the type you put in a bowl, cover with boiling water and then a plate and soak covered for 3 minutes) with handful of bean sprouts thrown in.

If you have a microwave you can also poach an egg in the bottom of a coffee mug to add on top. Warm up a few tablespoons of water in the mug first, then drop in the egg and microwave in 30 second increments until done to your liking.

For instant ramen, buy the ones with rice noodles or bean thread noodles. The ones made with wheat noodles are much higher in calories because they need to be fried to make them instant. That's not the case with rice noodles or bean vermicelli.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Wrap made from a Carb Smart type tortillas, lettuce or greens, chopped cherry tomatoes, whatever meat I have handy (leftover grilled chicken, steak, carnitas, ham, even paneer), brushed with about half a tbsp of whatever sauce, mayo, chutney or spread would go best (if needed at all).

Lots of protein, low calorie and yummy.

ETA: with an apple or navel orange if I need something portable to pad the calories out .)
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I keep refigerator oats, oranges and Quest Bars on hand as my go to quick fix.
  • SL62814
    SL62814 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would prefer fried eggs or sprouts salad.