Help!! Can't Loose Weight!!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    General comment (not that I disagree with issues re Minnesota etc and / or something being off mathematically;

But the one linked package is 65 Cal or Kcal per 100g and 275 is the Kilojewel value, i.e. about 4x the Kcal value. In other words the package is sub 350 Cal the way most of us measure things and two of them plus a banana and an apple do not equal food for a 5ft 8" 230+lb adult male
  • benjaminfields25
    benjaminfields25 Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2021
    I can guarentee you that my calorie intake is between 600 - 800 calories per day based on calculating the total amount of calories per meal from the information provided on the back of the packaging (unless the information is false and there's a lot more calories).

With regards to NHS weight loss plan, I've tried it and it doesn't work. The couch to 5k is basically what I'm doing now, but more like 6k and instead of jogging it's a brisk walk. On the BMI calculator it states that my recommended daily calorie intake is between 2505 - 3220 kcal. If I were to consume that amount of calories a day I would put on weight in no time. I wasn't even consuming that amount of calories before I started dieting.

It also states that a healthy weight range is between 55.4kg - 74.8kg, but when I was 75kg I was just skin and bone so how can any less be healthy?
  • benjaminfields25
    benjaminfields25 Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2021
    @KelpieLass

I honestly do appreciate your help as well as others that have given me suggestions. From what I've gathered I'm calorie deficit and I need to eat more calories. I guess I'm just being stubborn which isn't doing my mental health any good.

@Bella_Figura

Thank you for such an informative and descriptive post. You along with others are suggesting that I should consume more calories throughout the day and that's what I intend to do.

I know for certain that the scales are accurate as other people have weighed themselves and it gives an accurate reading.

I'm going to see how I do over the next 2 weeks, I'll use MFP to track my progress. I've also ordered the Amazfit Bip U Pro Smart Watch to make it easier submitting my results to MFP.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    There are only a few options I can think of:
    - you're actually eating more than 600-800 calories (but for that to explain the weight loss stall, you'd have to be eating a lot more)
    - you're eating so few calories that massive water retention is masking fat loss on the scale, from the stress of the extreme deficit
    - you're a medical anomaly, needing far fewer calories than the average person or you have medical issues

The answer will depend on what situation is applicable, but the answer is somewhere in here:
    - tighten up calorie logging (weighing food, even prepackaged) to verify your calorie intake
    - increase food intake to 1500 calories minimum, to decrease the stress on your body
    - go to a doctor and/or have your BMR tested, to diagnose any medical anomalies or issues
  • FallGirl84
    FallGirl84 Posts: 33 Member
    freda78 wrote: »
    FallGirl84 wrote: »
    I have to agree with the previous commenters, 600 calories for a guy your size is way too little. You can't lose weight because your body thinks it must hold on to anything it can since it doesn't get enough to function as it should. Please check on how you're measuring food and marking it to MFP, and do increase your calorie intake. I'm a female, just an inch shorter than you but have a couple of kilos more on my waist - and even I'm losing weight while eating 1500-1700 kcal per day and not doing any exercise.

Nonsense - if someone is genuinely only eating 600 calories over a decent period of time then they will be losing weight unless they have slowed their heart beat, lowered their body temperature and stopped every movement of their body.

Eat too little and you will not lose weight is, quite simply, a story people tell when they convince themselves they are eating a lot less than they really are. It is a myth.

Naturally, I didn't mean like he wouldn't lose weight in the long term if he'd continue eating only 600 kcal. I was talking about his journey up until now - so only about the two months. Eventually, sure, he would start losing weight but it would no doubt be agony to him and his body, not to mention his health.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    wmweeza wrote: »

If this is what OP is eating, then he's probably way, WAY undercounting his calories The package you linked is 500g, the nutritional information on that page is per 100g and lists 275kcal per 100g. That package contains 1375 Calories, if he's eating the entire thing for dinner.

this is a great question! OP, are you eating everything in the package or 1/5 of it?
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,730 Member
    edited July 2021
    csplatt wrote: »

If this is what OP is eating, then he's probably way, WAY undercounting his calories The package you linked is 500g, the nutritional information on that page is per 100g and lists 275kcal per 100g. That package contains 1375 Calories, if he's eating the entire thing for dinner.

this is a great question! OP, are you eating everything in the package or 1/5 of it?

Sorry, it's not a great question. There are 275 kiloJOULES per 100g and only 65 kiloCALORIES per 100g, which means that the whole 500g dish is only 325 calories.
    3fx5fruhgwee.jpg
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Is your scale broken? So sometimes low battery or a worn out scale get stuck at or near the last number before things went wonky with their inner working. Let me also add I rarely see a scale drop no matter how little I eat for roughly 3 weeks after I start exercising.

My suggestion is that you take body measurements monthly. I think you are dropping massive fat and not able to see the recorded changes. It is also sometimes hard to lose water retention at a calorie intake so low. 1500 calories will let your body relax and allow you to drop weight easier and not run the risk of gallstones, heart attack or hair loss which are the most common side effects on a diet as low calorie as yours. Good luck friend. 🙂
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    The only other explanation is that you have sleep-eating disorder. It sounds crazy, but it's a real (but rare) thing. You'd know, though, if food went missing without you being able to account for it.

This is an insightful question and videoing a nights sleep will difinititivly answer that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Let me start with the basics, I'm a 26 year old British male, 5'8" and weigh 107kg (236lbs).

About a year ago I weighed 75kg and have since piled on the pounds due to lack of exercise and poor diet.

For the past 2 months my exercise regime has been an hourly brisk walk everyday (approx 8000 steps) consisting of downhill, uphill, flat and unever pathways.

I have completely cut out the takeaways and have started eating more healthy foods.

In the mornings I'll have only a banana for breakfast, a bottle of water and a green tea, after an hour I'll go for my daily hourly walk.

In the afternoon I'll have either a chicken salad with coconut aminos seasoning OR a slimming world carrot and red pepper soup with an apple.

In the evenings I'll have either a slimming world chicken in black bean sauce OR a slimming world chicken hot pot.

My average calorie intake therefore consists of between 600 - 800 calories a day compared to my old diet which consisted of between 2000 - 2500 calories a day (sometimes more).

I weigh myself each week with the same electronic scales on the same flat surface.

So my question is, why am I not loosing weight? Am I doing something wrong?

I'd be very thankful for any response as it's driving me insane!

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member

It's 65 Kcal per 100g or 275 kj per 100g