Weight loss stoped after starting weightlifting

Options
2»

Replies

• SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I don’t know if this picture will work, but this is the screen I look at on my Fitbit. This shows me how much time is spent active, just based on my heartbeat.

I actually don’t make any cortisol, that’s why I have to take prednisone, or I would die. So high cortisol really isn’t an issue for me, unless I get stressed and have to take hydrocortisone to avoid going to the hospital.

So are you saying that I might need to eat more then? I’m just so scared to gain since I’m already so big. But I suppose I could try it and if I go up I can just lower it again.

Yes - the pic showed up.

That is the HR review screen, it throws extra info on the screen too.
    There is a better Daily calorie burn screen, which will also throw extra info on there.
    The extra info doesn't mean it causes what's on the screen, nor what's on the screen causes the extra info.

Fact is take the device off and carry in your pocket with no HR available - you'll get daily calorie burn.

Good to know on the cortisol, wonder if the other cascading hormones that it touches off still increase?

Anyway - you started lifting weights 5 days a week for 1 to 1.5 hrs daily.

Did you start burning more on average? (that would be an obvious yes)

Your body seemed to do fine with a 500 cal avg deficit before you started doing that extra workout.

You are not eating more though you are burning a lot more.
    Therefore your deficit is bigger.

Would you say from your results your body is happy with that?

Yes it’s gone up, here is an average day prior to me starting weights.

In the way that I am getting stronger and able to do more and am even faster at my walks since starting lifting, I would say yes my body is happy. However if you are talking about the fact that I stopped losing weight, than I guess that’s a no.

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Have you tried checking your measurements?
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »
    Have you tried checking your measurements?

Yes. I’ve lost 2” on my belly but haven’t lost anything anywhere else.

• Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    5 to 6 pounds weight loss is rather rapid. Eventually, we all slow down. Weight lifting will cause an immediate increase in water weight. Primary increases in early strength come not from increased muscle(especially if you are in a deficit) but better muscle fiber activation. Prednisone also causes weight gain. Prednisone suppressed my cortisol levels and I am no longer on it but dexamethasone instead. I am a double transplant patient and also hypothyroid and anemic. That being said I am 57 and lost 80 pounds since last March by walking and lifting weights. Started with 3 day programs for the first year and moved to 4 day upper/lower split. Have gained 10 pounds over last 3 months but measurements have gone down while adding calories back.
    Suggest that you readjust your settings in MFP to take into account your current weight and activity level. Also start weighing your prepackaged food items as they can be up to 20% off from stated weight. Last summer I went through a several month period where weight loss slowed to less than 2 pounds a month before increasing in the fall. Just keep a moderate deficit, be patient and learn all you can about the medications and their side effects that you are taking to better help your doctors adjust your treatment. Wishing you success with your treatment and health.