Help with Negative Calorie Adjustment

Options
I am having trouble with Negative calorie adjustment. The adjustment seems to be the same regardless of the activity level I set in MFP. This doesn't make sense to me. For instance, right now, it is subtracting over 300 calories (I've been inactive today) regardless if I set my activity level in MFP to "not active" or "very active" for my goal. The result is that if I set not very active, and I want to lose a pound a week, my goal calories are 1,530 and then because I have only logged 2,000 steps so far today on my Garmin (2pm) it is subtracting an additional 336 calories. Eating less than 1,200 calories a day for a 5'8" male who is 164 pounds is nuts! If I set my activity level in my goal to "Very Active", my initial goal will be 2,420 and it will subtract the same 336 calories.

What gives? What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't the amount it is subtracting change based on the activity level I am setting in my goal?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That value doesn't recalc within the same day when you go changing the settings, I've never seen it.

Or I didn't wait long enough for it to update.

That's all, just need to wait.

Yes the math you state is correct.

Fitbit daily calorie burn - MFP estimated daily burn - MFP logged workouts = adjustment.

Recommend sticking with sedentary though, even if you are not.
    Otherwise when you look at your eating goal in the evening based on a recent Fitbit sync, rest of the night will be estimated at the Activity level setting - and most people are less than even Sedentary, which creates an adjustment upon next Fitbit sync, which could be the next day easily.