Anyone else crave carbs in the morning?

Options

Replies

• mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, what I usually have in the morning (when carbs aren't involved!) is yoghurt and fruit and maybe some orange juice. This morning I had a small bowl of rice krispies with skim milk and some rasberries, and I'm not satisfied at all!

Everything you mentioned, juice, fruit, yogurt (if not plain), rice Krispies, are mostly carbs anyway.

Yeah...I guess what I mean is that I crave 'bad' carbs like bread...and well mostly bread :P
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yes. My solution is to eat some carbs in the morning.

hey..me too! imagine that! :bigsmile:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    yea I do. but I go to bed in the morning, so I eat a 6in round pancake before I leave work, it helps me to sleep

this may suit you better...
    try steel cut oats, dried cranberry's, raisins, pecans w/a hint of cinnamon and some milk. I add a lil sugar too
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that when you crash, you don't get onto a carb roller coaster.

Like one of these?

coolest-roller-coaster-birthday-cake-4-21333080.jpg

mmmmmm, carb roller coaster...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna eat carbs, do it in the morning. Just make sure that when you crash, you don't get onto a carb roller coaster. I try to eat my carbiest foods in the morning, and more proteins in the afternoons. I did a low carb diet in the past (South Beach) and I have to admit that really, I like some carbs. I seem to do okay trying to limit them to a specific time of day, so I limit them to the morning. That way the easy carbs that raise my blood sugar are out of my system by the time I go to sleep and don't turn into fat overnight.

That's my theory but I bet my dietician friend would tell me I'm all wrong.

you can't eat carbs in the afternoon?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I crave carbs in the morning, so I eat them. I'd rather lose rice at dinner than my toast at breakfast. I understand about cutting them down because I was using up all of my daily calories on carbs before hitting my protein and fat goals. You just have to figure out where you value your carbs most.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate. But I can always go for chocolate so...
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I usually have a piece of whole grain toast or a whole grain waffle with peanut butter in the morning-- I get carbs and some healthy fat and protein! Adding the protein makes it satiating.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For some reason I find it really difficult to get through the morning without a carb fix. Wether it's a slice of bread or a cinnamon roll (one of my favourite things to eat on this earth!), I just need that feeling in my stomach in the morning to feel satisfied. Otherwise I feel quite empty/hungry. From lunchtime onwards I can take or leave carbs.

Does anyone else get this? If so have you found a nice healthy/low cal substitute I'd love to know!

yeah me too. i need something solid like that. cereal is almost ok, but i really HAD to have a muffin. now i am able to lay it aside, but still i cant start the day without something solid like what your talking about.

Check out some of the cereals at Trader Joes. they make a really good one that seems to give me that satisifed feeling.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that when you crash, you don't get onto a carb roller coaster.

Like one of these?

coolest-roller-coaster-birthday-cake-4-21333080.jpg

At first glance I thought it's an omelette with ketchup.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Why not eat those carbs? I've lost 2.2lbs this week, and I eat whatever I like all day! :D
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I try to have a bowl of oatmeal,a piece of wheat toast and fruit. Or a bagel with cream cheese. It keeps me full longer.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If you really want to eat fewer carbs, you can wean yourself off them, but you will feel uncomfortable like that while your body adjusts. When I really want to go low-carb, I have to push through that, I might go for a bikeride, or take a quick nap/rest a little bit.
    I've not gone lower than 150g, but I was doing a LOT of HIIT training at the time. I did get that energy dip. I just don't want to over- do carbs, as I have in the distant past.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna eat carbs, do it in the morning. Just make sure that when you crash, you don't get onto a carb roller coaster. I try to eat my carbiest foods in the morning, and more proteins in the afternoons. I did a low carb diet in the past (South Beach) and I have to admit that really, I like some carbs. I seem to do okay trying to limit them to a specific time of day, so I limit them to the morning. That way the easy carbs that raise my blood sugar are out of my system by the time I go to sleep and don't turn into fat overnight.

you cant eat carbs in the morning afternoon or night.
    neither can you eat fat.
    or protein

just dont eat. Sounds like the fastest way to lose weight.

If someone doesnt eat anything at all I guarantee they will lose weight
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

neither can you eat fat.
    or protein

that would be zero carbs too...!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Not really. When I wake up I crave a hell of a lot of protein. Eggs and ham scramble with mushrooms is divine.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I never crave carbs. I don't eat processed foods.

I just love super helpful posts like this one. :grumble:
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Why not eat those carbs? I've lost 2.2lbs this week, and I eat whatever I like all day! :D

I agree; I mean, if it's working for you, and you're generally eating a healthy diet, eat what you want for breakfast. If it leaves you feeling more satisfied throughout the morning, you'll be more likely to eat a healthy lunch (rather than getting crazy hungry and snacking or binging.)

If, however, you are trying to cut carbs for some reason, I would say include them but just go easy. I used to love having 2 big slices of toast with butter ... slowly but surely, I've gotten used to having a sandwich thin instead ... less calories and carbs. Or, I'll have cereal and milk (or almond milk) but less cereal and double the fruit. (Yes, I realize that all those foods have carbs ... but I'm guessing you're talking more about breads here?)
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I use to crave carbs all the time but especially in the morning and late at night. I now drink a GNC protein shake in the morning first thing after my coffee and have found my carb cravings have all but disappeared. Being able to quickly look up calories of certain foods on my phone has also saved me from filling up on carbs. I can look at a cinnamon bun now and know if I eat it I hardly will get any food for the rest of the day and I will blow my sugar intake for sure. Easy to skip when I have all the info I need at my fingertips.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I know your point, however, I notice when i eat more food later at night, I end up weighing more in the morning, maybe due to the weight of the food in me undigested?? I do better when I eat my largest amount of calories around lunch time.. so there may be some point to what she/he said.

neither can you eat fat.
    or protein