Weight Loss Can Result in Reversing Diabetes

Options
124»

Replies

• lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    OP Richard, congratulations! You have dodged a bullet!
    I've been diabetic for 20 years. I'm getting close to 60, and I know I need to lessen the effects
    that diabetes is beginning to have on my eyes, heart, and kidneys. Prayerfully, I hope to
    improve and reverse them
    I started the Paleo lifestyle in July; I don't eat ANY wheat products: bread, pasta, etc.
    Those foods always gave me terrific urges to overeat.
    (After doing this for a while, I heard about the book "Wheat Belly" (wheatbellyblog.com),
    which reveals why NO ONE in the USA should be eating modern wheat!)
    I've lost 35 pounds, and my A1C level went below the 'high' number now, after 2 months.
    My cholesterol numbers and triglycerides improved, too.
    I will eat this way from now on, even when I achieve my goal weight.
    If my blood glucose allows, I may add back potatoes and rice to my meals,
    IF I have learned to control my blood glucose.

Metformin is actually quite helpful in reversing 'insulin resistance'.
    My doctor, the endocrinologist, doubled my dosage. Lately, reports
    say that Metformin should be presciribed for 'first responders',
    such as police officers, fire fighters, EMTs, and other rescue workers
    to alleviate some of the metabolic disturbances caused by lack of sleep.

Again OP, my heartiest congratulations!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I didn't know that once you got on insulin that you could get off it. (I know you can get off the pills if you're doing well with your blood sugar.) That is the goal I am working towards - my A1C has dropped from 6.8 to 6 in the six months I have been here. I have a LONG way to go, but my daily blood glucose numbers are so much better (Canadian system of measuring) at between 5 and 6 on a regular basis instead of between 7 and 9! I am hoping by the time I get to see my new doctor (old one quit a few months ago) that she will let me drop one of my meds (I take glyclazide and metformin) and that things will just keep getting better! I so much want to get off metformin, or at least reduce it significantly, as even after this long a time on it I still get one irritating side effect once in a while.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!